Can The Hilux Vigo Safely Do A Corner Curve At 150km/h On The Road ?

Vans

Have heard it is not safe to do that. As the vigo 'raised' platform is prone to turn over at high speed. Is this true?

If so what is the maximun safe speed limit to do a corner on a hilux prerunner raised version 2009 made?

I have seen old truck speed past me at 150km and they are doing alright. :)

Please share your experiences.

Have heard it is not safe to do that. As the vigo 'raised' platform is prone to turn over at high speed. Is this true?

If so what is the maximun safe speed limit to do a corner on a hilux prerunner raised version 2009 made?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Toyota-Hilux...&hl=swedish

Toyota has improved many thing since this report BTW. At the time, it was why I bought a D Max !

Edited by Dave the Dude

150 Km is fast enough on the straight. let alone in a pick up on a bend here. We've all seen the idiots out there doing those speeds on corners. That's why there's 35 000 road related deaths a year in the Kingdom.

Now if you're talking about a 5 series on an autobahn, that's a different story.

Regards Bojo

well it would also depend on the corner itself,, wouldnt it? i mean if the curve is not that tight then why wouldnt it make it at 150kmph. even the the most expensive sports car would have a hard time taking a 90 degree turn at 150kmph..

So whats the maximum safe speed limit to do a corner with a hilix raised version ? 120Km ?

Please advise. I dun wana test it out on my own with trial and test. Not with my own vechicle lol

Depends how much "Bottle" you have, but with the questions your asking i presume none find somebody with a red flag.

May i know what a 'bottle' and whats a red flag ?

Is it a jamaican slang from the hill of Bhutanese river ?

OP, Are you serious? Surely you couldnt be?

Have you thought about taking a driving course, perhaps defensive driving. You should really be able to answer your own question or you shouldnt be on the road.

You don't need me to explain the difference in curves and vehicle dynamics, do you?

A Hilux is a great vehicle, especially if you use it for what it was designed to be used for. Its not a sports car. Its not designed for carrying a load 3 or 4 metres high either, nor for loads over about 900 odd kgs either. Its not designed to carry 40 workers to a building site...but ur gonna see examples of this everywhere you go here. ITS NOT BEST PRACTICE, Okay.

If you are asking these types of questions you are the sort of person that can't think for himself and should consider taking a taxi....although here in LOS ur likely to find the taxi taking the same corner BUT only faster.

:):D Ohhh boy o boy

If your looking at doing a corner as your image show.......... at 150k's you will kiss your ass good bye....... if your modded........ lowered and on wide rims......... you may stand a chance......... as long as you can get the power down to pull you around............ but your NOT gonna do that at 150!!!!!!!!

Remember the trucks are very very light on the back end and any error at that speed will not be forgiven ............. you will end up with the back slipping out................ ........... try and see what happens ............. dont forget to post up the video and the before and after pics of your truck.

LOL. Okay i get it. No more 150km on a corner with a vigo. Will try 120 km/hr then. Oh i forgot i added a sport lid to my rear. Maybe it can improve aerodynamic alittle. And the extra 35kg on the back to push it down alittle

Will keep u guys update.

You should always drive at such a speed so you can stop, on your own side of the road, in the distance you can see to be clear ahead.

On any bend you have what's called a "limit point"......... that is the limit of visibility.

This can close up, i.e. get closer, in which case you are going too fast and not safe.

It can open up (i.e. get futher away), so you could go a little faster.

Ideally, it stays static, this means that the limit point and your speed are matched.

Ofcouse you also need to take into consideration with a pick up the cart spring suspension, light back end, relatively high centre of gravity, & tyre grip.

You should NEVER enter a bend too fast & have to brake in the bend, this is the cause of many a disaster.

Edited by Lancashirelad

yes and no

it can cruise 160, but really doesnt have brakes, tyres or handling to do so.

Driving Hua Hin - Phuket (700 km) often, its done in 5,5 hours with a 2008 Accord 2,4. 6 hours in a 2007 Camry 2,4. 6,5 hours in a Fortuner and 7 hours in Vigo 4x4 4 door auto.

Personally, the fact you even ask a question like this suggests you shouldnt be allowed to drive on any road... :D ....Stock standard Pick ups are not designed to go around corners at 150km, most defintely not safe, suspension, brakes, tires, steer are not up to the job, your center of gravity is too high and a sport lid will do jack..sh*t....sounds like a little boy racer having wet dreams...

If you want to do things like this buy a car which is up to the task and drive it on a track, not a public highway.. :D

drive safe and you don't want to be another statistic on the road, i'm guessing 150 km/h into any curve is almost suicide given the road conditions in thailand. There are so much sand and gravel on the road from passing trucks, one little slip from your tires ... byebye , not saying its not possible but the risk is too high. If its just a very slight curve I guess it should be alright, but still 150km/h into any curve is crazy.

drive safe and you don't want to be another statistic on the road, i'm guessing 150 km/h into any curve is almost suicide given the road conditions in thailand. There are so much sand and gravel on the road from passing trucks, one little slip from your tires ... byebye , not saying its not possible but the risk is too high. If its just a very slight curve I guess it should be alright, but still 150km/h into any curve is crazy.

160 kmh on cruisecontrol works fine in most highwaycurves. But the margins are much higher in an 2008 Accord than a Vigo.

Its not crazy. Its 40.000 km a year highway Hua Hin- Phuket. The roads are wonderful here compared to where I come from :)

Oh Yeah - this one's gonna Rock :):D :D

Bubba

True. You know that most folks at Thaivisa have never broken any laws in their life. Anyone caught jaywalking should be drawn and quartered.

Actually i could not care less if the guy kills himself with his car. I worry more that he will kill some innocent bystanders with stunts like this. Maybe hit me while doing something stupid like this. A car is a lethal weapon if mishandled.

Oh Yeah - this one's gonna Rock :):D:D

Bubba

True. You know that most folks at Thaivisa have never broken any laws in their life. Anyone caught jaywalking should be drawn and quartered.

Actually i could not care less if the guy kills himself with his car. I worry more that he will kill some innocent bystanders with stunts like this. Maybe hit me while doing something stupid like this. A car is a lethal weapon if mishandled.

I just added guitar to the rock :D

Never seen farang driving 160 involved in car crash in LOS.

But plenty of somchai driving 80 :D:D:D

Oh Yeah - this one's gonna Rock :):D:D

Bubba

I just added guitar to the rock :D

Never seen farang driving 160 involved in car crash in LOS.

But plenty of somchai driving 80 :D:D:D

Duh.. maybe there are more somchais around then farangs doing 160 ? Just a guess