Visa Query – Married To A Thai

Dear All,

Having worked my butt off for the last year back here in blighty I am about to come back to live in Bangkok once more. Before hand I used to get the old one month visa extension and now that I am married wondered what visa to apply for now?

Will be staying for six months, returning to the UK for four months and then coming back for another six months.

Any info greatly received.

And will someone please drink a cold Singha for me somewhere in the sun as its bloody snowing here, and its depressingly cold.

Daniel Sandercock

You should obtain a non immigrant O visa using a copy of your marriage certificate and ID card of your wife. A multi entry type, valid for one year, might be what you want and that is usually easier obtained at a smaller Consulate. With that you receive up to 90 day stay and can just make a visa run for another to cover your six months.

At some point you will probably want to extend your stay on a yearly basis and the major requirement for that will be 400k in a Thai bank account from overseas transfer to prove you can support your wife.

You say you are married (assume wife is Thai)so would have thought a Non-imm "o"multi would be the best if you have no intention of attempting or seeking any sort of work over there.

Got to admit that after all of these years I have decided to make the BIG leap and take the plunge....

Just got back from the Embassy in South Ken and stuck in my first ever application for the said Non Im.Visa.

No problem.The guy was very polite,easy to talk to and when I offered them my married license he just said again no problem and come and pick it up on Monday.

I will be going out there in a couple of weeks and want a local driving license (already got my Internat.Permit-old UN permit genunine but out of date -Cambodian and Vietnamese.......Nigerian,Saudi,Gulf States...and not forgetting a Tufty Club ) :o

Dr. Pat should chime in as he keeps track of UK Consulates. Hull used to be the most used. Problem with most Embassy/Consulates is that they expect you to obtain an extension of stay if you are legit so like to only issue a single entry as that is all you would need. But for people who travel and work outside of Thailand the multi entry is often the best option. You might be able to obtain in London by explaining your situation but it may be easier elsewhere. If you read back in this visa section you should find more information. And am sure someone else with recent experience will post soon.

Yes my wife is Thai. Sorry I forgot to say that...

I have all the relevant paper work so shouldnt be too hard. How long should I give them in terms of application times, do they need a few weeks or is it done over a matter of days?

So if I am reading this right I should apply for a Multi Entry 'O' visa, anyone know the present cost?

Best

Daniel

See my last post.

I went to the Embassy this morning and they say it will be ready for pickup on Monday. :D

I only sat there for about 15 minutes and the actual application took no more that Five.(same a cost for baht bus in Pat-Sorry another topic.)

Single non "o" is £40 and multi is £90.but you gotta apply in person and with the dosh...no cheques,free samples...etc.but as said earlier very polite.

Your other poss.is to send it to one of the Consuls,Hull being the Fav.(they take cheques etc.)

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/visaapplic...rm_internet.pdf

or

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/Visa-App.html

:o

To follow on ref:...Non Immi "O" visa....from London.

Went down to Thai Embassy in South Ken this morning to pick up Passport....No Problem. :D

Quick Sawaee krup to the young lady at the desk and on my way 2 minutes later.

Now made the committment :o