Mexican Food In Thailand

Judge

Might as well turn Tequila reef into a gogo.

Never looks busy

Ate there once,overpriced avg food,watery margaritas and confused service.

Hmm SOUNDS like a usual pattaya falang themed attempt.

Where can you buy sour cream in this country?

Everywhere! More to the point where can you buy guacawhatsitmajig over here, I love but have never seen it?? :o

Mango Margaritas at Tequila Reef are quite tasty, and they do give you complimentary chips and salsa (hot and regular, but neither too good). Tried the red snapper fajitas once, but was turned off by the sauce. Now go for the drinks, and the 'Reefer Madness' :o appetizer sampler, not bad for LOS. Had heard theres a place in Jomtien with the best texmex in pattaya area (I think it's called Moonshine, or something like that).

"Tia Maria" on Suk soi 23 serves as good Mexican food as any I ever had in Mexico or Belize. The Margeritas are large and cheap too. :o

Is this a wind-up, or what? I can't actually believe anyone would say this. Tia Maria is AWFUL!

I noticed a new place the other day on Soi Asoke "El Charro Mexican Fast Food". It's in the bottom of the building where the Japanese consulate is, Serm-Mit Tower. Had cheap enchiladas, fajitas, burritos on the menu, but was unfortunately closed at the time. Anyone tried it?

I might go as far as to call Senor Pico the only Mexican restaurant in town.

We really enjoyed ourselves there; good food and good - if not exactly Mexican - music.

Bit pricey though.

jb

Agreed, Senor Pico's of Los Angeles (the full name) is the only one in the competition in Thailand. Not as good as you get in North America (Canada, USA, Mexico) but good enough to satisfy the urge for Mexican.

I haven't been to Tia Maria's in a very long time - surprised it's still there - but last time I tried it, it was pretty bad. Ditto for Gordo's Cantina on Silom, almost unedible (hopefully it has closed down as well).

The hardest thing to source is good corn tortillas, or good maize for making them. The ones Danitas make and sell in supermarkets are not very good, and the corn available for making them from scratch (quite difficult in the first place) doesn't taste quite right. There used to be a couple of Americans in Chiang Mai who had a place with Mexican food, and the corn tortillas were a major weak point (that and the undercooked beans).

Other than corn tortillas, everything else needed for most standard Mexican antojitos (Mexican fast food, which is what most Americans think is 'Mexican food'), eg, tacos, enchiladas, chiles rellenos, etc, is readily available here, except for tomatillos (for salsa verde and various other sauces) and epazote (a fresh herb used in Mexico in many dishes, though only occasionally seen in southern California, almost never elsewhere in the USA). Both could easily be planted here however.

Senor Pico's comes closest. I like the music, personally. Might be interesting to ask at the Mexican embassy about other possibilities - who knows, there may be a semi-secret taco stand tucked away in some back soi in Bangkok somewhere ...

I have followed the search for decent Mexican food in Thailand with interest. I believe it was Chingy who finally deduced that, "there isn't any".  ;)

Until a few days ago, I had one hope left. Several people had mentioned that Tequila Reef in Pattaya is the real deal and that the owner of, the excellent, Bourbon street in Bangkok is a part owner as well.

I finally tracked the place down this week.

I lived in San Francisco for many years, and I will tell you one thing, it looks like real Mexican Food.

However, as each and every super-type Burrito is completely covered in what tastes like bottled BBQ sauce - they call it "enchilada sauce" - I don't have the slightest idea what the other ingredients tasted like, but it wasn't like any Mexican food that I've ever had. The flour tortilla was springy rather than flat like it should be however, I can tell you that.

Anyway, one more fake Mexican place knocked from its pedestal!   :bah:

OK heres the secret for at least California style and Tex Mex, since that is the only thing I know how to cook. Make yourself, you can find just about everything you need in Bangkok and Pattaya. The one thing I haven't been able to do is find a good corn tortilla. For taco's they are supposed to be lightly fried, try that with what you get for corn tortilla and they will fall apart everytime. I did some research on a tortilla press and am trying to have one built here now. It is not looking real promising, I also had tortilla mix brought in from the states. Haven't been able to find Jalipino peppers so I got some seeds from the states they just breaking ground now, they taste different then anyhting I can find locally.

I have found refried beans, jalpino cheese sauce, enchillada sauce and the alvocado I have found here are excellent for cuagamole. Probely ther reason you don't find a good mexican resturants here is the cost of the things needed to make the food. I happen to go through withdrawels being from Los Angeles a stop at a good Tacorilla in the barro is something that even thinking of makes my mouth water.

It would be cheaper to serve a very good imported steak here then good Mexican food.

So I think the bet we can do is try to make it ourselves, for me since I live in Udon, that means some very long range shopping trips, but worth it to me.

Good news gentlemen...halepenias are available at the fresh market. I eat them regularly. My gal just pops them in the toaster oven and they taste 'Mexican'. Being from California, Mexican food is my favorite. Tequilla Reef is nothing less than horible; green frijoles? and I chucked my cookies later on as well.

The only place (s) in the Kingdom that I will go back to are: Senior Pico's at the Rembrant hotel and another place that I have forgotten the name of. It's down the Soi from Cowboy (Shell station) just before the T-junction. Rembrant's is ok but even with reservations, having to wait at the bar can tripple your dinner bill real quick. The other place is excellent and not expensive.

Salut amor epesatas, etiempo padagastala...or something like that...

I also think the salsa kitchen offers the best mexican in Thailand

More good news Udon is do for it's first Mexican resturant in three days. No I have nothing to do with it other then planning to be a customer. But since I enjoy the food so much I hope it is succesful. I knew the owner for several years as do most the Americans living in the area. Being a Southern Califotnia kimnd of guy I'm very picky. Spoke to the owner the other day, she is definetly on the right track but I think it will take a bit to get out some bugs as with any new business. This is a sharp lady and she will been open to suggestions and and her goals are to improve.

I don't think you will get a Hollenbeck Burritto, a famous place in East L.A. But I do think the food will be good to start with and get better with time. This is not an easy nut to crack here, the ingredients can be very difficult to find, I plan on giving them as much support as my big belly will allow.

This is a biggy for this area so if you can give them a try, They are actually in Nom Somerong, not the best area for this but worth a bit of a drive. Go toward Nom Sumrong from the ring road you will go thriugh the market area and there will be a Wat on the left side of the road. Thet are in a very small place just place just past the Wat.

That's one of the images for a little site we're working up on BKK food, mostly carts, stalls and small shops.

Lot's of visitors don't try Thailand's hawker food because it's too indimidating.

Thought we'd try to make it easier.

More Food Pics

No wonder you know so many Khaoman Gai spots in Bangkok (and pictures of each one of them!). :D I was gonna recommend you to write a guide book on Bangkok food stalls (there is such a book available in Japanese). I can't wait to see your website open. :o

My two cents.....the place up the hill on the way to Jomtien from Pattaya is called "Mike's"

After trying to get at least a tiny bit of service in Tequila Reef (the waitresses have the Thai service disease...they would rather sit and talk to each other than help the customer) on 3 different occasions, I now frequent Mike's. The chimichangas are very good. I would not say it was the best Mexican food I have had, but it's the best I have had in years. (Unfortunately, I have been living in the UAE for 6 years. Couldn't find a great place there either.)

The service is great, the waitresses actually seem to be glad to see you. Also, the kiwi marguaritas are great!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Being Chicano from Los Angeles, and raised in East Los Angeles, I find this interesting. I was just in Thailand in late July and early August and actualy stood at the Windsor Suites down the block from the Rembrandt and Senior Pico's. I didn't come to Thailand to try Mexican food, so I didn't go there. But I admit, I was curious about the place. Maybe when I return next April, Ill try looking for Mexican food in Thailand. By the way, are there many American Latinos (Chicanos/Mexican-Amer.) in Thailand?

I thinking about leaving my high school teaching job of 14 years and transplanting to Thailand to teach. I have been to Thailand 4 times since 1995, and have always had a good time with most of the people there. I also realized that Thai's do have a thing about white skin, which I'm not, I'm a brown skinned Chicano. So would that hurt my chances in getting a quality job there even though I have a load of experience in teaching?

Being Chicano from Los Angeles, and raised in East Los Angeles, I find this interesting. I was just in Thailand in late July and early August and actualy stood at the Windsor Suites down the block from the Rembrandt and Senior Pico's. I didn't come to Thailand to try Mexican food, so I didn't go there. But I admit, I was curious about the place. Maybe when I return next April, Ill try looking for Mexican food in Thailand. By the way, are there many American Latinos (Chicanos/Mexican-Amer.) in Thailand?

I thinking about leaving my high school teaching job of 14 years and transplanting to Thailand to teach. I have been to Thailand 4 times since 1995, and have always had a good time with most of the people there. I also realized that Thai's do have a thing about white skin, which I'm not, I'm a brown skinned Chicano. So would that hurt my chances in getting a quality job there even though I have a load of experience in teaching?

Well... the Prime Minister has decided it may be a good idea to import more Indian (as in from India) English teachers to Thailand... so I don't think skin colour has much to do with your ability to impart "knowledge" in LOS.

As for Mexican food... there is a great little cantina just opened up at Nai Harn Beach on Phuket.

Very tasty tacos and burritos !! :o

For the month of August, The Great American BBQ on Sukhumvit Soi 36 is having "All you can eat" Mexican for 200 baht. Have been there the last 2 Monday nights and the food was great.

The owner told me that he had 90 reservations last Monday..

Owner also said that he would probably add Mexican dishes to his great BBQ menu..

East L.A. Huh! next time you come bring me a Hollenbeck burrito LOL

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the skin color they are not seeing white they are seeing greenbacks.

Here in Udon there are several dark Philippinos teaching english and seem to be doing fine.

With sixteen years in the system how much longer before you lock down a retirement of some sort, that is really the best way to live in Thailand, just a thought.

Actually I would love to know how the corn tortillas are made in Southern California, they are so different then what is avalilable here. With flour tortilla I don't notice any difference but corn is a different ball game all together.

For the month of August, The Great American BBQ on Sukhumvit Soi 36 is having "All you can eat" Mexican for 200 baht. Have been there the last 2 Monday nights and the food was great.

The owner told me that he had 90 reservations last Monday..

Owner also said that he would probably add Mexican dishes to his great BBQ menu..

did I hear you right? did you say, "all you can eat"? does that include drinks? ..like soda or water?

I miss taco bell with a passion. everytime I go back home, I make it a point to go to taco bell for lunch. ahhhhh. 3 tacos and a pepsi. my favorite.

I remember once about 6 years ago, a taco time opened up in front of the ambassador hotel. at first look, I thought I'll be able to get my fill of mexican food again. but after eating there, I was greatly disappointed. not only did it taste different from the states, it was more expensive than kfc next door.

suffice to say, they didn't last long.

....memories of taco bell. ahhhh. ooohhhhh.

to the audience in the back. yeah, yeah, I know. what a moron. ok. just leave me be. I'm entitled to my dreams.

monday??? only??? I will go look.

I have followed the search for decent Mexican food in Thailand with interest. I believe it was Chingy who finally deduced that, "there isn't any".  :D

Until a few days ago, I had one hope left. Several people had mentioned that Tequila Reef in Pattaya is the real deal and that the owner of, the excellent, Bourbon street in Bangkok is a part owner as well.

I lived in San Francisco for many years, and I will tell you one thing, it looks like real Mexican Food.

However, as each and every super-type Burrito is completely covered in what tastes like bottled BBQ sauce - they call it "enchilada sauce" - I don't have the slightest idea what the other ingredients tasted like, but it wasn't like any Mexican food that I've ever had. The flour tortilla was springy rather than flat like it should be however, I can tell you that.

Anyway, one more fake Mexican place knocked from its pedestal!  :o

THE BEST I FOUND WAS FAJITAS AT RIO BAR AND GRILL IN PHUKET , THE OWNER IS FROM AMERICA AND USES AMERICAN TORTILLA . GOOD SH$T MAYNARD :D

I have followed the search for decent Mexican food in Thailand with interest. I believe it was Chingy who finally deduced that, "there isn't any".  :D

Anyway, one more fake Mexican place knocked from its pedestal!   :o

THE BEST I FOUND WAS FAJITAS AT RIO BAR AND GRILL IN PHUKET , THE OWNER IS FROM AMERICA AND USES AMERICAN TORTILLA . GOOD SH$T MAYNARD :D

Where is Rio Bar and Grill????? :D

Anyway, one more fake Mexican place knocked from its pedestal!   :o

Where is Rio Bar and Grill????? :D

IN PATONG ON THE CORNER OF WHATS THAT STREET WHERE ALL THE BARS ARE ACROSS FROM THE BOXING STADIUM

Another option in Pattaya, Beefeaters on Soi Diana has an all u can eat buffet on weekends from 1 to 4. You make your own tacos, with corn or flour tortillas, seasoned hamburger, cheese, tomatos, onion, lettice, sour cream, and salsa. The buffet also has some decent bbq ribs & bbq chicken. Price is 199 baht.

• 3 weeks later...