Danish Embassy Warns Against King Power Dutyfree

martin81

668 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anybody who shops in a duty free shop is silly anyway. The stuff is way over priced and the amount you that you MIGHT save is only pennies. It's much cheaper to shop on line or at home when the goods are sale.

Oh, and as others have already said... Shop lifting happens everywhere in every shop. Breaking laws outside your own country is VERY foolish. You have to accept the consequences of your own actions.

Edited by IanForbes

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the video about the british couple here.....

And make your own opinion.

I believe King Power!!!

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/popup/pop_case3.html

Zappergeck

Looks to me as if she is putting something in her bag - definately! I guess that is illegal everywhere or will it pass in the UK?

Sad how people at once start their racist thai bashing.

And I am a Dane!

I've watched the videos three times (case 1 & 2). Case 1 is way to vague to even hint at shoplifting. Case 2 might be a case, but I wouldn't bet my sweet s...s on it! The videos are definitely non-conclusive. One would need to know a lot more (where and at what moment were they addressed about the alleged theft? and a few more questions would need to be answered).

Theft or not, asking 11,000 Dollars is just beyond reality.

The scam is backed by the cop's, so conclusive evidence ie finding the stolen item on the perp' isn't necessary. They have tourist's held to ransom & senior police officer's turn a blind eye to their subordinates! Corruption is a way of life in Thailand & government's should warn tourist's travelling here that putting on a uniform in tourist areas is a licence to print money.

I will say that when out of tourist trap's I have found the police & other official's very pleasant and helpful, I only hope with the spread of expat's all around the country it stay's that way!! 28_1_20.gif

See the video about the british couple here.....

And make your own opinion.

I believe King Power!!!

Zappergeck

Looks to me as if she is putting something in her bag - definately! I guess that is illegal everywhere or will it pass in the UK?

Sad how people at once start their racist thai bashing.

And I am a Dane!

That video doesn't prove anything and I don't think she'd be stupid enough to try and steal something IN FRONT of the shop assistant...

And racist Thai bashing..? :) We are talking about extorsion and kidnapping of tourists by national police here, at the international airport...

I agree it isn't conclusive, but the way it was dealt with was disgraceful & I am sad to say typical!36_1_30.gif

Ok - if you walk into a store back home in Kastrup Airport Denmark, pick something up and leave the store - then you will get arrested too - for sure! So this part with "invisble lines"... hmmm I think she know better...

That said - the Danish police would not ask you to pay them anything and they would also not tell you "Dont contact your embassey"

That's the way I will treat the situation also. They always seem to be out of whatever I want anyways. :)

easy enough...

I will never buy anything or enter the duty free stores in the airport. I would gather that if you never enter the store you cant be accused of shoplifting.

Perhaps not a real solution to the problem, but it is certainly the one I will use.

Anybody who shops in a duty free shop is silly anyway. The stuff is way over priced and the amount you that you MIGHT save is only pennies. It's much cheaper to shop on line or at home when the goods are sale.

Oh, and as others have already said... Shop lifting happens everywhere in every shop. Breaking laws outside your own country is VERY foolish. You have to accept the consequences of your own actions.

But did they break the law or were they scammed? My wife often goes into her bag in shop's but never steals anything. If the wallet was found on her then it's case closed, but it wasn't; so for me it's inconclusive and they would proberbly have been given the benefit of doubt back home! Howevever, TIT!! 10_1_138.gif

We will see what happens and (I promise) you will be the first (but not the last) to know.

You were robbed, simple as that.

I will be very surprised if you get anything back apart from a whole world of trouble. Please keep us updated on this.

my point of view is that

innocent people dont pay bribes.

they knew they were caught.

waited 5 days in a hotel for the money?

didnt bother to call the embassy, a lawyer, friends, etc?

high bail + lawyer + flight back for trial is cheaper than that bribe.

they did the deed and paid to get out of it.

...............flight back for trial is cheaper than that bribe

That is not an option, the suspect's passport is confiscated and they are stranded in Thailand, possibly for months, waiting for the court date. That is why this extortion racket is so effective.

Innocent or not the foreigner is made well aware that they will NOT be able to leave the country until the court date.

Imagine what an innocent person would have to consider. They are given a choice of either pay the extortion or be detained in Thailand for so many months, probably with no faith that they would get a fair hearing.

Stranded for months, maybe lose your job as well as facing a prison sentence after an unfair trial or pay the extortion? What would any sane person do?

my point of view is that

innocent people dont pay bribes.

they knew they were caught.

waited 5 days in a hotel for the money?

didnt bother to call the embassy, a lawyer, friends, etc?

high bail + lawyer + flight back for trial is cheaper than that bribe.

they did the deed and paid to get out of it.

...............flight back for trial is cheaper than that bribe

That is not an option, the suspect's passport is confiscated and they are stranded in Thailand, possibly for months, waiting for the court date. That is why this extortion racket is so effective.

Innocent or not the foreigner is made well aware that they will NOT be able to leave the country until the court date.

Imagine what an innocent person would have to consider. They are given a choice of either pay the extortion or be detained in Thailand for so many months, probably with no faith that they would get a fair hearing.

Stranded for months, maybe lose your job as well as facing a prison sentence after an unfair trial or pay the extortion? What would any sane person do?

It wasn't a bribe, it was a ransom.

Let me see,.... in 6 months 150 people, over US$10,000 on average it seems. That's 1.5 million dollars, or about 50 million baht so far, so on target for 100 million baht by the end of the year. Nothings going to happen quickly unless it's done the "Thai way".

I wondered why a simple box of chocolates is the same price in every store at swampy.

I did a few checks with pen and paper, same items different stores, all exactly the same price.

Why are they afraid to compete with each other?

King Power might be the answer. :)

Now the 'official channels' are giving out warnings maybe someone will do something about this. I doubt it, but we live in hope.

Corruption is how THE BOYS IN BKK line there pockets. It is also a way of life here.

When one buys a TOP POSITION on the police force says it all. CORRUPTION

I wonder if they try these childish games on fellow Thais?

This scam is happening to Thais too. There was a phone in on a Bangkok radio station and a number of Thais called in saying this had happened to them. You would not think Thais would go into KP but I guess some forget to buy ciggies or maybe don't care about the prices? Some Thais working abroad would be as well off as foreigners so they do the scam on them too?

I guess this represents as good a reason as any, not to shop in King Power, EVER! Who wants to run the risk of

a scam like this one. What a lowbrow operation. I give the Danes alot of credit for speaking out. Maybe the Thai

authorities will be awakened by this one. The police in this country are perhaps the most corrupt, and least

competent of any group or organization you will run into here. Stay clear of the police, under all circumstances.

The general rule of thumb here is that if a foreigner has ANY interaction here, with the police, it will not turn

out well for them. The police in Thailand do very little law enforcement. It is all about income padding, and

income supplement. It is rarely about crime solving. They are a bankrupt, corrupt, illicit crime syndicate. Not

a law enforcement organization.

I agree with this. I had some assistance from the BiB up at Rangsit. After this, one of the policemen kept calling me. Wanted to be 'my friend'. I kept avoiding him and eventually he stopped calling. I can only conclude he wanted to get to know me so he could benefit in some way. I really could see I would get stitched up somehow.

Edited by MaiChai

let this be known, officials extorting tourists is not good PR, especially since her "offense" is practically nothing, crossing a line!! <deleted>!!!

Incoming flights should announce to thier passengers that they should avoid the King Power shops. Could they get away with that, you think? That might teach KP a lesson if "forwarned" passengers purposely avoided the shops.

The translator will be out of the country or safely banged up in a cupboard in his emabssy yelling "theres nobody home" if he knows what is good for him. The options for him are not good if he gets caught in countryJail, huge bribes or its likely he might accidentally fall from a balcony at Khun Yai Nois house.

It is sad if this hurts tourist policing as much as they need to be better screened I think that tourist police 'in theory' at least is a good idea. (maybe if they are screened better and paid, the % of people who would do it for free long term out of the goodness of their heart must be small indeed (hats off to those that do though)).

there are still a lot of questions to be answered and I would be most interested to read a transcript of the victims statement.

As was outlined earlier... where is his mobile phone luggage bill receipts for payee for the hotel etc etc and so much needs to be outlined in order for the victims to protect their own truthfull integrity. These are questions that need to be asked in an investigation and the victims need to be thorough in providing detailed accounts. From what I am getting so far it seems to be very fragmented information.

Perhaps the check out chic/guy just wanted to knock of a new wallet and new the likely outcome. I look forward to the outcome of a full foreign investigation.

I am suprised the HR dept of this KP store have not made a public statement they are probably still consulting their lawyers perhaps.

In the meantime I am asking myself what i can do that is positive for the 'victims' these for me include-

sending ccorrespondence of this event to Australian news sources (they already know but it helps them to think it is of public interest the more they get)

sending email to the brit Consulate/embassy asking for explanations.

email to KP asking for a public announcement explanation investigation and/or statement and expressing disatisfaction in their store until they do.

I think it is important if we can get the lawyers or victims contact of some sort because according to posters here there may be countless other victims of the same 'alledged' case hopefully they can consolidate and assist as their information may prove invaluable to support allegations of the victims.

Footnote: I am suprised though I understand the worry of Libel by our Thai Visa site. As i am obviously wrong in assuming that you are not responsible for any allegations I might make (or anyone else) against anyone that are unsubstantiated on this site surely somewhere in the terms of agreement I take full responsibility for my own posts. However I stand corrected on that matter now. Is TV hosted in Thailand? perhaps a hosting offshore might make it easier for us to have free speech. (my understanding of this matter is limited but it sounds a bit unusual)

btw: Does anyone know if this has been reported on any of the main stream Thai language news outlets?

I often wonder if Thais ever get to hear about stuff like this. I rarely notice this kind of thing in the Thai media,(then again I rarely take much notice of the Thai media as I dont think in Thai language) lots of cute Pandas though.

Still looking for a good business idea ? ? ?

What about selling T-shirts quoting :

Front side :

I boycott King Powder !

Back side :

I left Bangkok airport a free man ... without paying !

Have the T-shirts printed in Thailand and sell them in Kao San Road, Pattaya etc. etc.,

but mainly at airport departure.

Make money ... and do NOT forget my royalties ...

otherwise I'll drag you into a King Powder and then ... you pay !

I guess this represents as good a reason as any, not to shop in King Power, EVER! Who wants to run the risk of

a scam like this one. What a lowbrow operation. I give the Danes alot of credit for speaking out. Maybe the Thai

authorities will be awakened by this one. The police in this country are perhaps the most corrupt, and least

competent of any group or organization you will run into here. Stay clear of the police, under all circumstances.

The general rule of thumb here is that if a foreigner has ANY interaction here, with the police, it will not turn

out well for them. The police in Thailand do very little law enforcement. It is all about income padding, and

income supplement. It is rarely about crime solving. They are a bankrupt, corrupt, illicit crime syndicate. Not

a law enforcement organization.

"Tuktong na krab!"

"Indubitably!"

"Tu tienes razon!"

"Du har raet!"

"Du hast rechtung!"

"Correcto!"

Spread the word...

:)

At last, an unequivocal warning that it is the Thai police who pose a threat to passengers.

Let the smiling hypocrites that constitute what passes for the authorities in Thailand wriggle their squirming little way out of that one.

Well done the Danes, at least they have laid the allegation where it truly belongs unlike the weasely British embassy who seemingly prize a pusillanimous approach to the Thai over and above their responsibility to their own citizens.

Agreed but given the "you can't blame the soooo nice Thai people for anything" brigade on here, one truly hopes that none of them work in positions of influence or the law as doing something about this needs people with backbones and balls. Did anyone really believe that the people behind all these scams are anyone but the scamming, cheating, lying Thais who occupy positions of authority and are largely unaccountable ?

Shame on you who back up these corrupt individuals.

the scam of farangs starts to be a part of thai culture, if high positioned are practicing it at the airport doesn't mean they got infected from travellers , it's not the swine flu , I think.

we had been scammed at reastaurants , bars , discos, shops, girlfriends..................! so don't back up wrong things, please! every body just reports what he lived and what others lived

Well i stand corrected. Before anyone takes a stance in defending poor innocent Farangs like i was inclinned to do. I didnt realise but King Power has a release on their website

please watch the CTV footage video!

http://www.kingpower.com/2009/index.php#

looks pretty clear cut n dry to me. Same thing in Australia though CTV alone is rarely enough for a conviction (- one cant tell if she he intended to permanently possess the wallet, or if she walked back inside the store later to replace it etc) Wonder how much the fine would have been for just owning up to it.

Shame shame!

(doesnt excuse the 'free enterprise' that occured later... but who can really believe them after watching the video) they lost 8000 pounds got no record (watch the video) Som nam na.

When I brought my two dogs in from Oz, they demanded 5,000 extra for each dog. I wasn't aware that this was happening, I was just so happy to see my dogs.

When the dogs were 'delayed', I got 'peesed' off and pushed past the 'thugs' and started ripping the timber sides off the boxes. The 'thugs' all became rather worried as I am far from a small man, was angry, had a few beers under my belt and both dogs were large, well trained on my command, and had vibed into me being in some sort of trouble and were having a go at anyone coming close to their cages.

In the end one of the thugs tried to pull me away and I screamed at him not to touch me. My Thai friend confirmed it wasn't a good idea to touch me and then managed to calm me down. Basically I bluffed my way out of being bashed/killed or otherwise, but I still had to part with the cash.

That and countless other small hip pocket hits finally made me see the light and we all now live happily back in Oz and will only ever return for short visits on our way to better play pastures.

They can all go to he_ll, they won't be getting anything more out of us.

Long live the King though, he's the coolest of all.

PK

It's irrelevant whether or not the people in question are guilty or not. Imagine you had little kids there touching everything and running around! It comes down to how people are treated! Thailand is a third world country in my books with the likes of Uganda, Afghanistan and North Korea. The stories coming out of that place are just ghastly. Sure where the in laws live is fine and some of their relatives are even in the police and are OK, to me anyway. Fair treatment seems to be nonexistent or very rare. And if something like this happened here in Aussie land then all the current affairs shows on all channels would be plastering this all over your TV. I have no idea where I am going with this now.

Maybe Thai officials should log on here and go through the forums to get an idea of how many 'farang' feel about things in Thailand. It pretty much reflects what the western European world thinks.

KING POWER is off my shopping list next time I go there, plus i'll bring some sandwiches so I don't have to pay $15 for a whopper at BK.

I watched the 'Irish case' video, and did it all happen in front of the cashier? I know Thai people aren't very 'on the ball' but something as obvious as that would surely be noticed.

More and more Thai people that I know don't like it there anymore. That includes people in Thailand and they want out. If that doesn't tell you that something is wrong over there then I ..................................

Edited by turbotojo

I hope the Foreigners get a fair trial in Bangkok.

I always trust the justice system where I live.

Court are not easily corrupted, especially for such a small matter as shoplifting.

sure ,the court is asking higher , by experience. you should change your opinion then unless you are a priveleged person!!!

Greetings King Power Security, Tony The Scumbag & Assorted Brown Shirt Thieves,

One day you may hassle the wrong "mark" with your scam & end up minus a pulse.

Not all "farang" are tourists & some have high level connections to govt & military.

Oh... Excuse me... I may have stated too harshly so... I will speak with my wallet.

Until I hear of successful prosecution of King Power security, Tony the Scumbag & involved brown shirted thieves I will never enter or purchase one single item from any shop at the airport.

May you all rot in poverty.

"It's irrelevant whether or not the people in question are guilty or not." Well it seems the 'innocent victims' lawyers are all ready to kick some innocent retailers ars_. perhaps some innocent cops arse and threaten the job of some embassy girl. perhaps the fact that the retailer is innocent is irrelevant also. All that happened here is some more crimes took place after the fact (possibly yet to be proven) and hopefully more people will be brought to answer. However I personally cannot believe the statements of the English couple after watching the video of them 'not stealing' a wallet.

100% laughable! romfl