Nuclear Power Plant For Chonburi

timsarus

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an article on the front page of the Nation last week about Chonburi being considered as a site for a nuclear powerplant. Surely this isnt a good idea. What do you think.

If it was located near Maptuphut industrial, it would make perfect sense...

You surely this isnt a good idea...why isnt it good idea ??

Before everyone jumps on the band wagon about Thai operating a NPS, this is not what I am trying to get at..

Having been involved in nuclear construction, operations and maintenance of said plants... had to live very close to operational plants over the years, never had a concern or a worry about living next to one...can there be an accident..yes there can, but you can also have accidents at chemical, petrochemical and industrial plants as well

I saw an article on the front page of the Nation last week about Chonburi being considered as a site for a nuclear powerplant. Surely this isnt a good idea. What do you think.

Here we go again ...

:):D ...

Lets face it...even if a decision to start building was made tomorrow, you would be looking at 8-10 years before the first unit went on line.....so the OAP's in "gods waiting room" - Pattaya - shouldnt be worried as chances are it will not affect them in the least.. :D

Before everyone jumps on the band wagon about Thai operating a NPS, this is not what I am trying to get at..

Having been involved in nuclear construction, operations and maintenance of said plants... had to live very close to operational plants over the years, never had a concern or a worry about living next to one...can there be an accident..yes there can, but you can also have accidents at chemical, petrochemical and industrial plants as well

One reason i think it wouldnt be a good idea is tourism, the number of tourists coming is dwindling as it it and i reckon a nuclear powerplant would put a lot off. And if anything went wrong you would never see another tourist, theres not a lot of people visit chernobly is there.

Here we go again ...

:):D ...

Lets face it...even if a decision to start building was made tomorrow, you would be looking at 8-10 years before the first unit went on line.....so the OAP's in "gods waiting room" - Pattaya - shouldnt be worried as chances are it will not affect them in the least.. :D

First Thai nuclear power plant proposed by EGAT: 1966

First Thai nuclear power plant approved by government: 1974, Bhai Bay, Chonburi (shelved)

Second Thai nuclear power plant proposed by EGAT: 1977

Second Thai nuclear power plant approved by government: 1977 (shelved)

Er ... etc., and everyone seems to forget how many years there have been nuclear reactors (OK, not power plants) in Thailand and Bangkok.

Meanwhile the number of threads on Thai Visa about this must be nearing critical mass. Duck and cover!

One reason i think it wouldnt be a good idea is tourism, the number of tourists coming is dwindling as it it and i reckon a nuclear powerplant would put a lot off. And if anything went wrong you would never see another tourist, theres not a lot of people visit chernobly is there.

We strangly enough one of the ones I worked at, actually does have tourists visiting and the area surrounding the plant was declared a "national park" and wild life sanctary and people do actually visit the area to see the wild life which couldnt be seen anywhere else...

Who cares!

Bubba

Well obviously you do....or you wouldnt have taken the time to respond... :)

Great idea. They've already been running their research reactor for over 40 years, time to upgrade.

Research reactor vs power reactor...not quite the same thing.. :)

Would guess over the 40 years the research reactor has been upgraded on more than one occasion..generally life Ex of a reactor is in the order of around 25 years before upgrades and replacments are needed as the neutron radiation starts destroying the materials used...ie neutron cracking in stainless steel..

We strangly enough one of the ones I worked at, actually does have tourists visiting and the area surrounding the plant was declared a "national park" and wild life sanctary and people do actually visit the area to see the wild life which couldnt be seen anywhere else...

Dungeness?

Dungeness?

Nope...Koeberg, Cape Town, South Africa...2 X 900MW PWR's

Yes, in fact the nuclear facility on the West Cumbrian coast of the UK, although not primarily concerned with power reactors, has become a major tourist attraction in its own right. Makes a nice day out for when its p*ssing down over the lakes and fells, as it so often is! I worked at this facility for about 20 years and lived close by and never really had any concerns about safety. You do get a different perspective of the nuclear industry when you're on the inside, so to speak.

Yes, there can be accidents, as there are in all industries, and we certainly don't need a Chernoble event in Thailand but that particular 'incident' was caused by unauthorised experimental work being carried out on a badly designed reactor. The possibility of such an accident happening with a modern PWR reactor is vanishingly small. So, we'll be OK just so long as Somchai presses all the right buttons!

Anyway, as pointed out by a previous poster, no nuclear plant is going to go on line in Thailand for at least 10 years, if it happens at all. I now live in Chonburi province and have no plans to evacuate any time soon!

DM

Edited by doctormann

to soutpeel and doctormann

i find some of your statements in regard to neuclear power plants construction in thailand very unsettling.

would you both gentlemen care to enlighten everyone reading this forum

by giving us your

1--academic training and background,

2--professional qualifications and

3--actual professional experiences within the neuclear power plant industries, pls? and lastly,

if you don't mind--exactly which companies compensate you?

no, you are not under investigation.... lol

on the contrary, some days i might need to solicit your wisdom and seek your counsel.

specifically, recently there have been on air several neuclear power plant advert advising

thai citizen not to be afraid of neuclear power generator plants which the govt are planning

to construct along the coastal areas both on the andaman and gulf of siam seaboards.

besides, the authority figure in the advert said that it is practically fail-safe.

the accidents, people unfamiliar with neuclear power generator plants, are talking about, rarely happens....

categorically, it is completely safe.... china has several, japan has them, u.s. has them, european countries have them as well....

besides, modern science is coming up with new technologies and unimaginable measures to contain radiation leakage and its spent fuse rods within even safer containments than nowadays....

the man also said that he has been working with neuclear power generator plants for many years, and

'look at me', he said, i am just as ordinary and healthy as you and everyone else....

is either of you appearing in any of those adverts by any chance?

much thanks in advance for each of your honest responses. i for one will be greatly indebted to your personal disclosure for the benefits of forum readers also.

to soutpeel and doctormann

i find some of your statements in regard to neuclear power plants construction in thailand very unsettling.

would you both gentlemen care to enlighten everyone reading this forum

by giving us your

1--academic training and background,

2--professional qualifications and

3--actual professional experiences within the neuclear power plant industries, pls? and lastly,

if you don't mind--exactly which companies compensate you?

no, you are not under investigation.... lol

is either of you appearing in any of those adverts by any chance?

much thanks in advance for each of your honest responses. i for one will be greatly indebted to your personal disclosure for the benefits of forum readers also.

Well I dont know if doctorman agrees with me, but it appears we under investigation...LOL.. :)

As regards the adverts... I am certainly not "appearing" in those adverts...these days I work Oil and Gas and would have no interest in any Thai nuclear program, unless there was some serious money on the table above and beyond the serious money I am on now in the O&G game... :D

As regards experience around NPS

1. Construction QA/QC on 2 X 900 MW reactors Southern Africa - French Nuclear construction - once construction completed into in-service inspection of operational systems

2. Construction QA/QC on 2 X 900 MW reactors in China - French Nuclear construction

3. In-service inspection of various Nuclear facilities in the US..

thx much soutpeel for taking the time to enlighten and enrich myself and everyone. such an experienced man is not easy to find nowadays.

by the way, do you by chance have any personal friends sitting on the engineering board, pls?

thx again for your time.

There is a reason why your parents did not give you the keys to the car at age 12 years old.

We are talking about a country that has gone through what, 4 govt in 2 years or less.....

WHat do you suggest should be done, when the (insert color) shirts crowd around the nuc. plant and hold that facility for ransom.....

thx much soutpeel for taking the time to enlighten and enrich myself and everyone. such an experienced man is not easy to find nowadays.

by the way, do you by chance have any personal friends sitting on the engineering board, pls?

thx again for your time.

Which engineering board ??....Starting to appear to me, and may be wrong (If I am, I apologise), that you are an employment agent fishing for info ??

.....So, we'll be OK just so long as Somchai presses all the right buttons!

That's the thing! knowing how local business handle stuff, do you think they will manage a nuclear plant any different? it's not the technology itself which is scary but who it's going to be operating it...and obviously at the end of the investigation nobody will be found to be guilty of anything....TIT

Fantastic Idea!

I’m no expert on nuclear power by any means, but I’m sure this would benefit the local economy, now that tourism is down considerably on previous years!

Just think, they could dump the waste if any, into the local river system, producing larger fish, two heads to eat, instead of one. This could have many benefits, one being road safety at night, local drivers who insist in driving without lights, would glow in the dark.

The government has no control over exhaust omissions or any type of pollution, so how are they going to manage a nuclear plant?

We could go on for days about the issue, but at the end of the day it’s down to the guys at the top who are getting their pockets lined.

And what happens if there is a meltdown emergency between

12 pm and 1 pm - " gin khao " time :D I mean a lot can

happen in 60 minutes and you wont find a single person

willing to drop spoon and fork :)

Fantastic Idea!

I'm no expert on nuclear power by any means, but I'm sure this would benefit the local economy, now that tourism is down considerably on previous years!

Just think, they could dump the waste if any, into the local river system, producing larger fish, two heads to eat, instead of one. This could have many benefits, one being road safety at night, local drivers who insist in driving without lights, would glow in the dark.

The government has no control over exhaust omissions or any type of pollution, so how are they going to manage a nuclear plant?

We could go on for days about the issue, but at the end of the day it's down to the guys at the top who are getting their pockets lined.

What are you saying Pattayas going green (Luminous green).

And what happens if there is a meltdown emergency between

12 pm and 1 pm - " gin khao " time :D I mean a lot can

happen in 60 minutes and you wont find a single person

willing to drop spoon and fork :)

I'm more worried about the "Why is that light on the alarm panel light not working?"

"It's flashing was irritating." Response.

Edited by Mosha

Does Thailand even have an educational program to educate people to work in such a field?

I work in the medical field, and there are a lot of "self made" experts in Thailand, because Thialand just does not have the educational facilities to even train experts. It facinates me when I hear some of these self made expercts speak.... some of the stuff they say is "way off mark."

Any how, like I said before

Does Thailand even have an educational program to educate people to work in such a field?

There a few about, but nowhere near enough, all training/education is carried out overseas...for example...say the French get to build X number of nuclears in Thailand, then as part of the contract, X number of Thai nationals will go and live in France for a couple of years and learn all about it, in addtion, a number of foreign experts will be contracted for around 3-5 years in Thailand on the plant to train and run the place.

You would be suprised how many foreigners will be involved should Thailand go ahead with this, in my experience have seen as few as 300 expats on the site, right upto 1000 expats on the site depending on stage of the construction they are at...know of some guys who have started on construction and 10 years later they are still on the same site as an expat in some capacity....

Suppose the point is here...Thailand is not building any nuclear power plants...somebody else is building them, operating them for X number of years..as the years pass local content increases...same as the Oil and Gas industry in Thailand....20 odd years on and there are still expats involved in the game in Thailand, granted numbers greatly reduced from the "old day" but still quite a few about