Songkran Redux

Greenside

As if we needed any more water crazed farangs overdoing it at Songkran. It seems they're so desperate to attract tourists that the madness of Sonkran is to feature in a forthcoming commercial since the hoses were out in force this morning at Tapae Gate with wet extras lining the sidewalks. I swear, you couldn't tell it from the real thing...

597285574_s3Bez-L.jpg

597285953_h7aRp-L.jpg

597285262_tF5wv-L.jpg

Very cultural :)

You're probably right. It's been said before but the people who are likely to be attracted by promoting it as the world's biggest waterfight may not be the kind of spenders that the city needs most - Spain discovered to its cost that getting the right mix of tourists was more important than the numbers. I'm not down on it really - just noted it as an indicator of the way things are at the moment.

By the way, don't you close at Songkran?

At this point, anybody who spends anything will help.

Yes, we do close, but I think that it is something that is somewhat unique to Thailand that looks like lots of fun, so good for an advertisement to attract tourists year round.

I would find Songkran more acceptable if participation wasn't compulsory. I am not a spoil sport and if anybody thinks being doused with water that may not be clean is fun then so be it. I hate the idea so please include me OUT.

although I agree with promoting Chiang Mai as a great tourist destination, I dont think promoting visiting during Songkran is the best idea, as Chiang Mai is usually very busy during this period. Anyone down at the moats would attest to this. Maybe the filming @ Thapae today is part of a broader promo for Thailand. But i guess any promo is better than none.

I would find Songkran more acceptable if participation wasn't compulsory. I am not a spoil sport and if anybody thinks being doused with water that may not be clean is fun then so be it. I hate the idea so please include me OUT.

its not~ i sat out Songkran (water splashing part) this year, coz I didnt want to be out in the sun all day, but i did manage to go into town after sundown. Most water fights have stopped by then as well. :)

I really enjoyed my first Songkran in Chiangmai many years ago and I think it's one of the celebrations people should try to see/attend if they can and it should be advertised. It has started to bore me over the years, but I still acknowledge that it is a great source of fun for many. I still go out just for one day and then either hole up or get away and I must say that I still enjoy that one day very much with my Thai friends, if I can manage to avoid some of the ignorant, obnoxious farangs who seem to regard Songkran as their version of regression therapy.

PS No need to mention the fatalaties, it's already been done to death....literally. :)

Tourists to Thailand year round!!! Me thinks that will encompass real promotions, pollution control, climate adjustment, a major image adjustment, attitude adjustment toward tourists by several groups here, safe/clean transport, etc etc. The group that can accomplish this will be in much demand in Somalia, Afghanistan, and closer to home, Burma. I always felt Canada would/could be a world tourist destination, IF the winters were not so cold, cost of everything was reduced by 80%, the nightlife in its entirety, of Thailand, Mexico, etc were moved there, but like the man said 'dream on'

I'm not really into parades or song kran personally, but video of people in colourful costumes having fun is always a good thing for advertising. It's all part of a total package. I always enjoy the Loi Katong festival in November. Everyone is having a good time despite the danger of the crazy fireworks. The women dress up in colourful silk costumes and the sky lights up with lanterns. It's a great party... even though the lanterns later fall and cause trash problems. Unfortunately, there is always a bad side to every party. If there is any problem with song kran is it's too long. It's difficult to keep a good party going for a week. If it was all over in 3 days it would probably prevent most of the bitching.

although I agree with promoting Chiang Mai as a great tourist destination, I dont think promoting visiting during Songkran is the best idea, as Chiang Mai is usually very busy during this period. Anyone down at the moats would attest to this. Maybe the filming @ Thapae today is part of a broader promo for Thailand. But i guess any promo is better than none.

Not sure about that the last three or four years have pretty dead compared to previous Songkran's.