Have You Been Short Changed In After Hours Bars?

Chris84

I usually like to pay as I go. Although if I'm in a bar where I am known I will sometimes let the bin go for four drinks then on number five I will hand over the 300TB. (60TB Singas) I like to pay with the correct money, but if I am handing over large bills just say the ammount and don't let go of the bill untill some sort of recognition is made.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't peoples experiences so diverse?

I have been drinking at the van for well over two years and never had this problem. I have also never seen the staff assault anyone in fact just the opposite I have seen them jump in to stop fights at some considerable risk to themselves.

Have you thought that they maybe select their targets

You're well known in CM so not a target.

Very good point. The scammers all know who to hit and who to leave alone. That is why I mentioned taking care not to get drunk in places you don't know. And, it DOES pay to frequent the same establishments on a regular basis.

And remember what your mum said, "Always wear a clean pair of undies in case you end up in hospital."

And don't forget to use 2 condoms in case 1 breaks, for that matter, wear 3 in case 2 break.

And don't forget to brush your teeth before you go to bed.

And some people managed to survive this long in life. Amazing.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I never see a big problem about short change before until i went to jack van bar with my boyfriend for a drink and they're try to make this problem with us and i try to reply to talk with them to give me more money back for a munute they're early to got angry and the men jump came on me from inside the van to push my head and also push my boyfriend to the chairs also. I try to talk nice with them that i mistake with my own so we don't any problem but they're still didn't forgive us and the owner women she start to talk bad about thai girl that are bullshit but is them to bullshit short change with us. I saw one time that the owner men beat the girl until has blood on her face just because the girl break a bottle when have problem with her friend he doesn't know her before and if he can do that is maybe a lot police go and drinking for free. If like that Thailand will never be grow up.I didn't mind just for a little bit money but i need thai people to be honest with Farang and talk nice to customer if they're want to make beautiful and lovely bussiness. Anyone don't need them to be big more than everyone it's not fair.

I never see a big problem about short change before until i went to jack van bar with my boyfriend for a drink and they're try to make this problem with us and i try to reply to talk with them to give me more money back for a munute they're early to got angry and the men jump came on me from inside the van to push my head and also push my boyfriend to the chairs also. I try to talk nice with them that i mistake with my own so we don't any problem but they're still didn't forgive us and the owner women she start to talk bad about thai girl that are bullshit but is them to bullshit short change with us. I saw one time that the owner men beat the girl until has blood on her face just because the girl break a bottle when have problem with her friend he doesn't know her before and if he can do that is maybe a lot police go and drinking for free. If like that Thailand will never be grow up.I didn't mind just for a little bit money but i need thai people to be honest with Farang and talk nice to customer if they're want to make beautiful and lovely bussiness. Anyone don't need them to be big more than everyone it's not fair.

did your bf make you a member of Thaivisa? Sorry to hear off your experience.

About the making someone pay for the bottle part, well I was with a member of this forum there one night. My friend's glass fell and broke. The waiter ran to us and demanded that we pay 300 baht for it. I told them in Thai that the glass is not worth that much so why demand so much for it? No answer except that we "should really" pay for it. I offered 50 baht and they took it.

Sorry for bitchin about it. I shall go back there if i really have no where else to go and if friends are around but definitely not my favorite drinking place. As the wise man BB mentioned, common sense takes you a long way.

Sounds like someone has a problem with the Jack Van Bar.

I for one have never changed my shorts in after hours bars.

quote of the day! :)

About the making someone pay for the bottle part, well I was with a member of this forum there one night. My friend's glass fell and broke. The waiter ran to us and demanded that we pay 300 baht for it. I told them in Thai that the glass is not worth that much so why demand so much for it? No answer except that we "should really" pay for it. I offered 50 baht and they took it.

Hey Tigerbeer, have you noticed that they don't offer to pay for your shirt when THEY spill something over you? I've had that happen a couple of times and my shirt was ruined by food they dumped on me.

And now perhaps he will write out the phrase in Thai......probably the first language of the poster...... :D

And now perhaps he will write out the phrase in Thai......probably the first language of the poster...... :)

Dear Fourseventhreegeo,

If you read a little deeper you may come to realise that the poster is indeed a she.

Your forever caring friend,

Blink E. Bill.

So the Op joined the forum and posted a negative review, response of him and his girlfriend, one night at Spicy where they had a bad confrontation with the jack van bar. We listen and some agreed and some disagreed. So The Op not satisfied, gets his girl, or he does it himself, to let us know that this is what happened. Well, we already knew your story. Now it sounds like a bunch of crap. Two new posters who had a bad experience at a local shit hole. You over shot. Once you let us know do not pretend or let your girl friend say the same thing. It makes you look like you have a personal vendetta against them and then this forum will eat you alive.

And I will still not change my pants but you better get a grip. Do I believe it? You were drunk and it was late. Wake up and never, ever, get your girl friend involved.

So the Op joined the forum and posted a negative review, response of him and his girlfriend, one night at Spicy where they had a bad confrontation with the jack van bar. We listen and some agreed and some disagreed. So The Op not satisfied, gets his girl, or he does it himself, to let us know that this is what happened. Well, we already knew your story. Now it sounds like a bunch of crap. Two new posters who had a bad experience at a local shit hole. You over shot. Once you let us know do not pretend or let your girl friend say the same thing. It makes you look like you have a personal vendetta against them and then this forum will eat you alive.

And I will still not change my pants but you better get a grip. Do I believe it? You were drunk and it was late. Wake up and never, ever, get your girl friend involved.

dont hold back getgoin :)

the same thing happened to me in a nightclub in newcastle. i ordered a drink, which was modestly priced at only £6.50, and gave the bartender a £20 note. he then gave me £3.50 change. so i questioned him about the mistake that he had obviously made, to which he replied in his friendly geordie accent "<deleted> off you c**t" and went on to serve another customer.

nice guy

This never happened to me in LOS, but from experience in other countries (tourist places in good old europe) I always have enough small money with me when I go out late. You need 20 and 100 baht bank notes for tuk tuk anyway, or do you pay them with a 1000 baht note, too :-) And I leave the credit cards in the hotel. I really love Chiang Mai, but you never know. Just the usual precautions. And I do not complain if I loose 10 euros (500 baht) just because I did not follow my own simple rules.

As fare as my thai girlfriend is concerned, whatever I give to her often ends up in some very stupid purchase. The more I give her, the more stupid things she buys. Like contact lenses which make her eyes look green... :-) I still like her a lot, and it is great fun to see how excited she can get about this.

See you in CM in september :-)

where has all this anger come from mapguy? jai yen yen

No, I am really not angry at all. Life is good. I grant you that, this evening especially, I must appear angry. I have been quite blunt, not just here but on other topics. Guess it just got to me this evening! I have no problem with your question. I very rarely puncuate posts with "smiley faces."

What really distresses me --- a continung concern, really --- is that too many superannuated adolescents, in my view, seem to "lord it over" or "scare off" by volume of posts and the direction of such posts people who really might have something useful to say on whatever topic from time to time.

I believe that a lot of people get "spooked" by the "old boys." No need to name names. They really are ultimately bar (or restaurant) buddies. You know who they are. Just check it out. And check out the value altogether of their contributions.

This forum venue is not nearly as vicious as some I have seen, but it still remains an "old boys club" for certain people who sometimes but unfortunately post little worth reading, and, in my view, should get a life --- elsewhere. I suggest that they should save most (not all) of their contributions to bar chatter among their friends instead of taking up time with frivolous one-liners or something of that ilk.

From time to time, I try to join in the "fun," but what's the repartee worth? Not much at all.

The "resident" population here on TV Chiang Mai contributes a rather astounding numbers of posts and hits. Just check it out.

Want to go to a party? Check out any thread on TV Chiang Mai get-togethers at Tuskers! AMAZING!! At least between parties, I suggest that people should invest in a beer or two at their favorite pub and enjoy --- but not add their repartee here.

Just check posters and the number of posts. What are they worth?! You decide, of course. For me, I hate to see a valuable communications tool degenerate into such trivia and pissing contests as characterize TV Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, although rarely --- unfortunately --- some of the posters of massive amounts of crap really do have something useful to offer. But so much of what they post is dross and the useful stuff gets lost!!

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room." I have never said that, but the point seems well made.

Edited by Mapguy

And now perhaps he will write out the phrase in Thai......probably the first language of the poster...... :D

Agreed. I do hate those farang taking cheap jibes at the Thais. It's offensive and against forum rules. It isn't even funny anymore. It happens so much.

" Do you have Change for A 1000 Baht ?" Smile or

Carry small bills when ever possible sometimes changing 1000 baht can turn into a 15 minute drama.

I got ripped in a local bar once but I was pretty drunk and paid, a week later I ran up a tab in the same bar asked if I could pay tomorrow and never went back- I walk by frequently and wave he knows what happened and that he lost a good customer , I think in a ratty way he admires my counter move but wishes I come back , especially these days .

No, I am really not angry at all. Life is good. I grant you that, this evening especially, I must appear angry. I have been quite blunt, not just here but on other topics. Guess it just got to me this evening! I have no problem with your question. I very rarely puncuate posts with "smiley faces."

What really distresses me --- a continung concern, really --- is that too many superannuated adolescents, in my view, seem to "lord it over" or "scare off" by volume of posts and the direction of such posts people who really might have something useful to say on whatever topic from time to time.

I believe that a lot of people get "spooked" by the "old boys." No need to name names. They really are ultimately bar (or restaurant) buddies. You know who they are. Just check it out. And check out the value altogether of their contributions.

This forum venue is not nearly as vicious as some I have seen, but it still remains an "old boys club" for certain people who sometimes but unfortunately post little worth reading, and, in my view, should get a life --- elsewhere. I suggest that they should save most (not all) of their contributions to bar chatter among their friends instead of taking up time with frivolous one-liners or something of that ilk.

From time to time, I try to join in the "fun," but what's the repartee worth? Not much at all.

The "resident" population here on TV Chiang Mai contributes a rather astounding numbers of posts and hits. Just check it out.

Want to go to a party? Check out any thread on TV Chiang Mai get-togethers at Tuskers! AMAZING!! At least between parties, I suggest that people should invest in a beer or two at their favorite pub and enjoy --- but not add their repartee here.

Just check posters and the number of posts. What are they worth?! You decide, of course. For me, I hate to see a valuable communications tool degenerate into such trivia and pissing contests as characterize TV Chiang Mai.

Sometimes, although rarely --- unfortunately --- some of the posters of massive amounts of crap really do have something useful to offer. But so much of what they post is dross and the useful stuff gets lost!!

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room." I have never said that, but the point seems well made.

There is feeling of being bullied. and a sense that no matter what you write some uber expat will rip into you. Makes you miss the early internet days of the grammer nazis .

The same thing happened to me and a friend a few years back at Spicy, ordered 1 beer, paid with 500, waiter came back with 40 in the little black cover, when my friend took the money out and saw it was only 40 change, he quickly put the money back in the cover before the waiter could close it, and gave the waiter a puzzled look.

The waiter immediately put the other 400 which he was holding in his other hand back into the black cover and handed it to my friend again.

An obvious scam by the waiter, hoping we were either too drunk to realise or didn't remember how much was given.

It didn't work on us, but i fear it probably works enough times to make it worth their while.

You are right with regard to pretty much all of the above.

Personally I liken it to the arrival of 'freshmen' at an upper school. If the freshmen really want to become part of the 'old boys club' as you put it, (probably fairly apt decription judging by the average age of Chiang Mai expatriate residents as you seem to be highlighting Chiang Mai in particular), I'd call it just 'clicky', then they have to prove themselves to become part of the 'club' proper.

Trying to join in the fun in early stages of TV membership is probably a fruitless exercise unless one's online character/content is either, witty, full of new info that hasn't been discussed to death by the 'good ole boys' or constantly and subtly sensational enough to catch attention.

There is absolutely no need for 'freshmen' to be intimidated as their input is just as valuable and interesting (although maybe of no real value to the good ole boys' too busy with their 'trivia' as you put it) to other members out there.

Posters just need the courage of their convictions, enjoy TV for what it is and keep posting, it won't bite!

Now, back on topic.....

I seem to remember a topic I think by jingthing quite recently with an experience in Pattaya. He was presented with a bill at a restaurant and asked to sign for how much he was giving, which lead to some confusion.

This restaurant has addressed the issue of giving the correct change by asking for customers to write the anount they are handing over to the waitress. Maybe there is a method behind this madness, however the scenario in a bar/club is somewhat different, invariably without a bill presented. An alternative in any given situation would be to always speak aloud (and within earshot of other customers) the value of the note one is handing over and get the bartender to repeat the amount back to you.

regards Bojo

Regards Bojo

Agreed. I do hate those farang taking cheap jibes at the Thais. It's offensive and against forum rules. It isn't even funny anymore. It happens so much.

if your refering to my response @ getgoin's post about changing shorts in a after hours bar, it wasnt intended to be a cheap jibe @ Thais, but @ getgoins wit. hel_l, i didnt even think getgoin is Thai, esp if you follow on in the thread and read post #42 but if he/she is ...kor tort krup :D

so re read the thread and as my mama used to say....dont hatch your chickens before they can count! :D

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room."

I don't understand why you post here as you seem to think that you and your interests are far more important than any other posters on the Chiang Mai forum and that only you have anything worthwhile to say. You look down on other posters and don't bother to hide it. You constantly interrupt clearly marked threads to complain that you have no interest in them and to imply that anyone who does must be less intelligent than you are.

I know that you feel that we are really lucky to have you, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way. :)

TV Chiang Mai has been characterized previously as "romper room."

I don't understand why you post here as you seem to think that you and your interests are far more important than any other posters on the Chiang Mai forum and that only you have anything worthwhile to say. You look down on other posters and don't bother to hide it. You constantly interrupt clearly marked threads to complain that you have no interest in them and to imply that anyone who does must be less intelligent than you are.

I know that you feel that we are really lucky to have you, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way. :)

Aw shucks, EweGee, everyone knows that Mapguy is more important than everybody else on Thaivisa, with the exception of george, of course.