Dim Sum Lunch At The Canton House

Michaelaway

:)

Sawasdee, Krap!

In keeping with our humble lifestyle, and always looking for a good meal at a good price, my beautiful TGF and I again ventured into Pattaya, to Central Mall/ 6th floor and visited The Canton House for a dim sum lunch. It was about 12:00 noon when we entered. The restaurant was clean as a whistle, and the staff was pleasant and unobtrusive from beginning to end. While we were there, they had about (10) other customers. We both love to eat (although, naturally, only I look the part- how do they do it, those TGF's?), and weren't sure if we'd ordered enough at first...

From a selection of about twenty or so, we ordered (6) dim sum items (crab, shrimp, asparagus, braised ribs, fried wontons, etc.), which cost 15 baht each and were served with (4) or (5) different dipping sauces; (1) crab fried rice for 50 baht; and (2) iced flower teas (refillable throughout the meal!) for 10 baht each. The dim sum were all fresh and tasty. The rice was very good, too. We had no complaints whatsoever (ok, the tea was a little too sweet, but, no big deal!). And, we definitely didn't feel the need to order any more food. So, that's about it- 160 baht plus tip for a good & affordable (mall) lunch.

-Michael away! (for the Budget Gourmets!)

:D

I ate there once when they first opened and I haven't returned since. The dimsums are cheap and they taste cheap.

I am afraid I agree. They taste like 15 baht dim sum so therefore no bargain. I did manage to get one of their fried taro balls with ground pork ones once (they almost never actually have them in stock) and that was a good value. I also think basics like BBQ pork bun are not too bad. I have tried most of the menu at the place including the whole fish and the shrimp claypot, there was something not quite there with most of the dishes. The duck is good though.

Worth a try especially for the price! We almost always end up in Shabushi but will definitely have to give this place a try!

That's another example of getting what you pay for. The all-you-can-eat sushi at Shabushi almost turned me off eating sushi. There's no such thing as cheap good sushi.

Worth a try especially for the price! We almost always end up in Shabushi but will definitely have to give this place a try!

That's another example of getting what you pay for. The all-you-can-eat sushi at Shabushi almost turned me off eating sushi. There's no such thing as cheap good sushi.

I wouldn't know, Because I don't go there for the Sushi. Tastes awful so I stick to the Suki in Shabushi..

Interested to see how the Dimsum is though.. Thanks for the tip Michael, Its always looked busy when I have been passed. Will give it a try..

Edited by Meg_2003

I wouldn't know, Because I don't go there for the Sushi.

Good move. Sushi doesn't come much worse than what they offer.

To be honest,I was also disappointed:

McK serve better quality dimsum and morning glory.

The chicken and cashew was inordinately salty.

Worth a gamble on a tryout ,but I will pass next time !

Edited by wileycoyote

We are off there tonight, it aint the best tasting Chinese food but is good enough, plentiful and cheap who needs more for a quick meal.

Thanks for putting this into perspective! I agree with you; TCH's food is, "...good enough... for a quick meal" in Pattaya. Nobody here's saying their offerings are fit for the Emperor's imperial table... (Geez, guys- lighten up!)

:)

We found a sea worm in the raw fish meat one time... never ate sushi since :):D

We found a sea worm in the raw fish meat one time... never ate sushi since :):D

Was this at Shabushi?

We did see a catepillar (or worm) on one of the raw vegetable plates circulating on the conveyor.