Thai Old Wives Tales?

Garry9999

Everyone got any further explainations?

1. Rain water falling on your head will make you sick. (Apparently water from the sky is different from water from a tap that you might wash your head with).

2. Never get your hair or nails cut on a Wednesday. ( No idea way not).

3. Brooms must be stored bristle up and never bristle down. (If stored bristle down your money will fall out).

4. Water tanks must be kept full. (This will ensure your wallet stays full of money).

5. The entrance/exit of your house cannot point to the south. (you'd be walking into the Sun).

I'm sure there are lots more, please post them.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my wife picked up her first new car, the monk told her it had to be on a Friday with a blue ribbon tired on the sterirng wheel, and only at 2:15 pm could she turn the key to start the engine and the car must be facing east.

I remember I had to start my new car (for the first time) at 9 minutes past the hour.

I've seen so many completely obliterated car crash wrecks with more Buddha amulets and photos of revered monks adorning the dashboard that when I bought my car I took my chances. Compare that to my sister in laws vehicle that looks like as mobile wat from the inside. :)

Edited by mca

Yes, maybe this is interesting to some people, but for me I could care less for any of such nonsense. I try to steer clear of people who believe in all the various supersticious crap here.

That would be hard to do in Thailand! You would be steering clear of 99% of the population.

Yes, maybe this is interesting to some people, but for me I could care less for any of such nonsense. I try to steer clear of people who believe in all the various supersticious crap here.

That would be hard to do in Thailand! You would be steering clear of 99% of the population.

slightly off topic but when i see a Thai with loads of amulets hanging around his neck, i always think sheeit! you must be a really bad man to be so scared and need so much protection....

slightly off topic but when i see a Thai with loads of amulets hanging around his neck, i always think sheeit! you must be a really bad man to be so scared and need so much protection....

Or a fan of BA Barracus from "The A Team"

"I ain't getting on no songtaew fool!"

Another variation of #5 based on feng shui I been told.

The entrance/exit of your house shouldn’t be in line. (Money coming in the front door will go straight through the house and out the back door).

Or a fan of BA Barracus from "The A Team"

"I ain't getting on no songtaew fool!"

That's a good one!! :)

I wonder if #5 (entrance to house not to face south) has got it's roots in Chines Feng Shui?

According to the "Tibetan Feng Shui" a south facing entrance is rather auspicious.In my limited knowledge of other versions the unlucky cardinal point is West.

Feng Shui is regarded as a science in China,Japan,India and the South East,a Feng Shui Master is a revered professional.Superstition?Maybe.

Any traditional believing should not be despised IMO,I'd rather try to understand the meaning of them.

Then, pray tell, why did you bother to comment??? :)

My mother in law consulted two feng shui "experts" about what was best for her business premises and got completely conflicting answers. Consequently she was moving bloody fish tanks from one side of the shop to the other and then having to move them back the next day. God know what will happen if the feng shui boys show up on the same day. She'll most probably have to knock a wall down and then rebuild it within the hour.

None of these are nonsense.

For example,

1. Rain water falling on your head will make you sick. (Apparently water from the sky is different from water from a tap that you might wash your head with).

Especially in cities, you'll see many people wearin bags on their heads. Before the rain comes, there's a strong wind which fills the air with all kids of bacteria and dirt. The top of the head is an area which is very suseptible to these bacteria.

3. Brooms must be stored bristle up and never bristle down. (If stored bristle down your money will fall out).

4. Water tanks must be kept full. (This will ensure your wallet stays full of money).

5. The entrance/exit of your house cannot point to the south. (you'd be walking into the Sun).

It is called "a common cold" and it happens sometimes when walking in the rain (yes even back home, I am not kidding)!!!

None of these are nonsense.

For example,

Especially in cities, you'll see many people wearin bags on their heads. Before the rain comes, there's a strong wind which fills the air with all kids of bacteria and dirt. The top of the head is an area which is very suseptible to these bacteria.

Good answer, thanks, I think there is some superstition in it too, about rain being associated with thunder & lightening.

It is called "a common cold" and it happens sometimes when walking in the rain (yes even back home, I am not kidding)!!!

Maybe a Farang wives tale then :)

I remember being told you shouldn't lie on the bed with your feet at the headboard end! (Apparently something to do with dead people)

Bagwan: Unsure if I would call it a phenomena, I believe there is more than what can be perceived by the senses and there is a reasonable explanation regarding the reasons for and why; also has nothing to do with Thai wives tales.

Edited by BboyRusty

Then, pray tell, why did you bother to comment??? :)

You're right, of course. Only people who agree with and fully support the OP should be allowed to post in any thread. If I were you I'd do something about it.

Hi dude,

I'm sorry but what would you like to hear? Some stupid gossip about Thais and what they're believing? Could you walk into the sun if your entrance would be in the West? There're many reasons why some of us settled down here. The difference to Europe or any other 'more' developed countries is exactly what we need to live a better life without just thinking about lots of money;Please remember: Keep your own mind in order, please.

Hi dude,

I'm sorry but what would you like to hear? Some stupid gossip about Thais and what they're believing? Could you walk into the sun if your entrance would be in the West? There're many reasons why some of us settled down here. The difference to Europe or any other 'more' developed countries is exactly what we need to live a better life without just thinking about lots of money;Please remember: Keep your own mind in order, please.

You seem to have completely missunderstood the thread, and I have no idea what you are talking about!

This thread is crap without the classic, Don't eat durin and drink beer! you will die!

Hhhahahaha,What a load of BS, proved to be inaccurate by Singaporian scientist!

I do love the rain on your head or your kid playing in the rain will get sick.

My boy plays in the rain and puddles almost daily, two years old and hasn't been sick yet.

Yes, he comes in and get's a shower and dried up, then a warm cup of coco.

I love to listen to the neighbours talk about how he is gonna be in the hospital soon, stupid farang.

I say this to the Thai's don't drink the water, Fish <deleted>@k in there.

Thanks for rading my waste of bandwidth.