Where Are The Chiang Mai English Students?

heybruce

Last year about this time my school had trouble accommodating all the students who wanted to study English, then things went into a steep decline. I hoped things would get better, but so far..... Is it just my school or are other schools having problems? Any schools doing well?

Chiang Mai has been especially hit hard by the world's economic problems as it relies so much on tourism and exports, so many people don't have the extra cash at the moment to study in a language school. Plus, many young learners have had their school closed because of the flu panic and/or parents don't want them to mix with other kids at the moment because of this.

I've been taking Thai language classes at the YMCA since January. Earlier this year, there were many classes of earnest young Thai women trying to learn English by parroting back to recordings played by a Thai teacher. Some of the young ladies did smaller group classes with native English speakers, too.

In fact it was kind of funny to look into the Thai-language classes and see all the older, western male retireed expats and then look at the English-language classes with their hoards of pretty young Thai ladies. Obviously, these two groups were trying to get some training to better communicate with each other.

The Thai-language classes seem to be as well populated now as they were in January, but the English-language classes are almost non-existent. I agree, that with money short people aren't spending for English classes, especially if the chances of getting a job where some English knowledge is required have disappeared.

I've been taking Thai language classes at the YMCA since January. Earlier this year, there were many classes of earnest young Thai women trying to learn English by parroting back to recordings played by a Thai teacher. Some of the young ladies did smaller group classes with native English speakers, too.

In fact it was kind of funny to look into the Thai-language classes and see all the older, western male retireed expats and then look at the English-language classes with their hoards of pretty young Thai ladies. Obviously, these two groups were trying to get some training to better communicate with each other.

The Thai-language classes seem to be as well populated now as they were in January, but the English-language classes are almost non-existent. I agree, that with money short people aren't spending for English classes, especially if the chances of getting a job where some English knowledge is required have disappeared.

Nice observations, NancyL :D.

Not to mention some of the "English teachers" there :) .

Prince Royal's College recently told their students to minimize the risk of catching swine flu they shouldn't attend after school or weekend tutorial or language schools. I think their new 100 million baht language center opens soon - cynical me. But I'm sure they're not the only school to tell their students this bucket of poo.

Edited by Loaded

Ok, thanks for the replies. If the YMCA English classes, which I assume are among the cheapest available, are struggling for students then I assume this is a city-wide, if not nation-wide, problem. That's too bad, I'm one of those older male retirees and I don't need the money, but I like to stay busy and enjoy teaching motivated students. Oh well, at least I'm not going hungry for lack of work.

The numbers of M4,5 & 6 students studying English at private language schools is decreasing for a couple more reasons to those mentioned above. First is the fact that a lot of the schools (PRC, Montfort, Dara, etc.) have their own English programs and second is that parents are putting a greater importance on after-school tutoring so that their kids are better prepared for university entrance exams.

The numbers of M4,5 & 6 students studying English at private language schools is decreasing for a couple more reasons to those mentioned above. First is the fact that a lot of the schools (PRC, Montfort, Dara, etc.) have their own English programs and second is that parents are putting a greater importance on after-school tutoring so that their kids are better prepared for university entrance exams.

Most or all of these schools had English programs of their own last year, and tutoring for entrance exams didn't keep students away this time last year. I think the economy and over-hyped H1N1 fears are a better explanation.

Most or all of these schools had English programs of their own last year, and tutoring for entrance exams didn't keep students away this time last year. I think the economy and over-hyped H1N1 fears are a better explanation.

Just passing on reasons given by non-returning students.

Just passing on, as stated 'additional' to those you mentioned, reasons given by non-returning students. Thought you might like to hear reasons from the students' parents (they may be lying of course :) ).

Edited by Scrubber