Resigned From Job- Next Steps Re: Wp And Visa

I gave notice that I would be leaving my job on August 21,2009. However, as I have a few holidays due me, I would like to leave the country before that date, say for example on August 17.

My questions are:

1. Do I have to do anything before I leave on August 17th re. cancel work permit or cancel visa at immigration? Or, can I just leave the country and that automatically cancels my visa (this would be OK by me as long as it had no future repercussions).

2. If I left on August 17th, what would my HR have to do? She is getting different answers from lawyers/immigration so is unclear as well. Would she have to go to the labor department to cancel my WP? If so, is any date acceptable after I leave? Or would it have to be on the 17th? or the 21st? or after?

3. Would I or HR have to go to Immigration to do anything before or after I left?

4. If I just left the country for a few weeks and then came back at a later date with a new visa, I assume I wouldn't have any problems re: old work permit, but just would like some confirmation of this.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Big J

There is some conflicting infromation as to wether the WP must be returned or not. To be sure I would advice returning the WP, together with a letter from HR stating on which day your employment ends, the 21st. You can also ask HR to return the WP for you of couse.

As you already leave Thaialnd when your job ends, there is no need to go to immigraiton. leaving the country will automatically cancel you permission to stay, provided you don't have a re-entry permit. If you have a re-entry permit you would need to vsit immigration to cancel your permission to stay, together with a letter from your employer that your employment ends on the 21st.

(If you would have a valid multiple entry non-B, then this would remain valid, even when your employment ends. Only an extension odf stay is cancelled)

When you come back with a new visa there won't be a problem.

Did the same thing a few years ago:

1. Make sure you sort out your taxes, otherwise Visa and WP will sort themselves out

2. Simply leave before your WP is cancelled

3. Only if you would want to change your non-B to a non-O but for that you would need the return slip (proof of cancellation) of the work permit

4. That's what I did on advice of immigration, after coming back with a new visa, that new one is the only thing they base a new extension on.

Edited by noudb