Whats Going Rate For 2 Bed Bungalow In Isaan

we want to try find out what is the going rate for basic 2 bed bungalow in khon kaen isaan area...tiled roof,,concrete build,,ground preperation if needed,,, decent windows ,,inside tiled floors and walls in shower...1 western toilet,1 outside thai style kitchen..and water storage system,,we want to start building in october in kra nuen area so we would like some advise please..and also if any of you guys can upload some pics samples i can view to give me a rough idea,,,,,we are planning to get the house built now in october and then next year and every year thereafter we can concentrate on outer walls and gardens and trees etc...i would also like a quote from some in the know how much we should pay roughly for exterior wall per square metre....we are also looking at the idea of getting one of the steel frame style homes built by freshflowservice.com something like rhino,s house but maybe its a little too expensive so maybe we will go for concrete if we dont get a decent quote from fresh flow service ...the thing that appeals to us is that the steel framed homes are put up a lot faster....i just need some advise and am doing my homework at the moment before we go out in october...

thanks in advance

Edited by dmax

If you use concrete make sure contractor buys from Cement Factory delivered in a mixer, and not the issan dirty water guess work sand and concrete mixtures. the Khon Khean university have been experimenting with mud hay/bricks - new age materials which protects from the heat, take your time - no need to rush - can rent and live for years before deciding on your own house, they also now have pre-fabricated ones on show around bangkok, so check with TPI.

A 2 bedroom (non-detached) house to your specs can be cheap as Bht5,000- p.m., A free standing house with garden etc (but not quite to your specs) maybe only Bht15,000-, again, you need to take time to look, their are quite a lot to choose from, just dont be stuck with time schedules.

A proper landfill takes years to settle down for building work, the makeshift ways that they raised the paddyfield to build concrete houses, means lots of cracking taking place over time, plumbing works breaks because of unstable land, termites, underground water etc. and the lists goes on ...

Should at least check out the houses/designs/material use of houses around Chiangmai before deciding on one in issan.

If you use concrete make sure contractor buys from Cement Factory delivered in a mixer, and not the issan dirty water guess work sand and concrete mixtures. the Khon Khean university have been experimenting with mud hay/bricks - new age materials which protects from the heat, take your time - no need to rush - can rent and live for years before deciding on your own house, they also now have pre-fabricated ones on show around bangkok, so check with TPI.

A 2 bedroom (non-detached) house to your specs can be cheap as Bht5,000- p.m., A free standing house with garden etc (but not quite to your specs) maybe only Bht15,000-, again, you need to take time to look, their are quite a lot to choose from, just dont be stuck with time schedules.

A proper landfill takes years to settle down for building work, the makeshift ways that they raised the paddyfield to build concrete houses, means lots of cracking taking place over time, plumbing works breaks because of unstable land, termites, underground water etc. and the lists goes on ...

Should at least check out the houses/designs/material use of houses around Chiangmai before deciding on one in issan.

thanks for ur reply jerry but i dont understand ur figures here at all...bht 15,000 is that per metre for walls etc only....i needed quotations for whole house i,e kitchen outside thai style,,walls, electrics,plumbing for shower etc ,,a working house without garden and exterior wall......why do you say check out houses ad materials in chang mai before i build in isaan????

cheers

You should live in Isarn a minimum of two years before you spend money and build. If you drive around much you will find many a farangs broken dream in abandoned and empty houses. Anything but sitting on top of your project as it goes up is guaranteed to end up with cut corners leaving you a unsatisfied customer. No need to believe me if you don't want to, just ask around.

Currently there are many beautiful houses on the market for 2 million and no takers. There are also many homes for rent from 5,000 a month on up.

I assume he means the price per square meter.

A while since we did it but prices are around 10,000 per square meter. So if your house was 100 square meters it would cost around 1 Million Baht.

second that for ok quality, basic design, covered area (roof). Go for aluminum windows. PVC pipes for water must be grade 13,5.

You should live in Isarn a minimum of two years before you spend money and build. If you drive around much you will find many a farangs broken dream in abandoned and empty houses. Anything but sitting on top of your project as it goes up is guaranteed to end up with cut corners leaving you a unsatisfied customer. No need to believe me if you don't want to, just ask around.

Currently there are many beautiful houses on the market for 2 million and no takers. There are also many homes for rent from 5,000 a month on up.

-----------------------------------------

Yeaph..I live up here in isaan and can agree, one should learn to crawl before he starts to walk. it saves a lot of grief and money

Glegolo

thanks mai krap,,but i honestly believe im going to be with my wife untill our older years,,we also have a 3 mth old daughter and im thinking that when my daughters up and flies the nest then her mother will have a home to return to in later years,,also im thinking we will use it as holiday home for the next yrs and stay up country instead of pattaya ,,,,after all i wil spend less money when i stay in isaan...im only 41 so i cannot go live in it myself untill retirement age so i want to make it a year on year project kind of thing and just keep improving it as years pass...then when im retired hopefully i will have a beautifull home to stay in with my wife,,,thats if the retirement visa laws dont change too much lol

Edited by dmax

hi dmax

check out coolthaihouse as was posted above, it's quite informative and there are plenty of posts from people like yourself who have documented their build from start to finish with many of your questions answered and it will also give some tips & pointers

if i can offer some advice i would recommend just holding the land, construction costs will always be substantially cheaper in thailand(than the west) yet the longer you wait the more your land is worth, the area will have time to improve with facilities and population and the area could be completely different in 10 years time...it may suit you more or it may be the opposite of what you were expecting..by holding the land and building a few years down the line you'd have time to view the areas progress

thai construction isn't the best and many homes that were built 10 years ago look quite ragged now,possibly due to materials used and the climate

i think by delaying the build until closer to a time when the house would be occupied more regulalry then you'd have more value for money and possibly a better quality build in a few years time(building trade improvements) lol & if you have anymore children you may find that you actually needed an extra bedroom or 2 lol

good luck with whatvever you decide