Tails Of Gecko (and Feet ... And More)

orang37

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_full_learn...cko_s_tail.html

Robert Full is a Biologist in the new interdisciplinary field, "Biomutualism," : he studies (among many things) gecko feet and how they work. And in this presentation you will learn things about how a gecko uses its tail that, imho, will "blow your mind" as well as make you smile.

The video is a presentation by Full to TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design), a non-profit foundation which has become a rallying point for a very creative dialogue between science and art, and for encouraging research that crosses the boundaries between traditionally (and artificially) separate knowledge domains (our western cultural heritage [baggage ?], or, inheritance, of the old quadrivium and trivium, if you will).

If you stick with Full through the first few minutes of the video you will see some wondrous photos and videos of geckoes in action.

And you will see robot geckoes climbing walls, and one human rock-climber going up a wall using "gecko pads" !

Seeing geckoes in a wind tunnel "swimming" in wind using the tail is astounding !

enjoy, ~o:37;

p.s. my appreciation of a gecko's tail has been greatly amplified !

Edited by orang37

Orang... thanks for passing that along, excellent! We have a very large albino tokay that I often see jumping from a wall to a dirty ceiling above the car port. Never misses! And then he hunts bugs upside down as comfortable as can be.

Why? A big fat guy talking about all the wonders of the common Gecko. I have a soft spot for both. :)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

In fact I have e-mailed Full telling him that he may wish to come to Chiang Mai to make a video of how you climb the walls, and have sent him several of your posts here as "indirect evidence." I suspect you have developed your own psychic equivalent to a "tail" and feel this marvel should be shared with humanity :D

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37