In Car 12 Volt Inverter

ThaiLife

Ive been looking for some time now for an in car charger to fit my ASUS N10J netbook , and the only thing I can find

are cheap units from China on Ebay . Ive rang ASUS Thailand and they can't help. The ASUS N10J needs a charge voltage

of 19 Volts DC . So I was wondering If I could use an inverter plugged into my vehicles cigarette lighter socket .

The mains charging adaptor the came with the ASUS N10J has this specification written on it ..

Input = 100 - 240 Volts AC 1.5 Amps

Output = 19 Volts DC 3.42 Amps

Just wondering if this travel inverter would be ok...?

Picture4-3.jpg

Picture3-11.png

Not too sure what the USB DC is about ..?

Your laptop has a transformer that converts the power......remember your normally pluging in to 220/240v ac and its transforming it to 19v dc....... I would ideally just get at least a 500w invertor........ and then plug the laptop in as you would normally no problem........ back in the uk I had a show car and in the boot had a small fridge working of a 1200w invertor no problems hth

Thanks for the replys, The Belkin web site prices do look a bit high, as I am not going to be using the netbook in my vechicle too often, but it would be nice to be able to charge it if needed, I was hoping the one I showed ( but only 200 Watts ) would have been ok , and its not too expensive , but as TheVinylMan suggests a 200 Watt model may not be powerful enough for my netbook

Thanks

TL :)

For what is worth this is not the right way to go about as your power supply is a switched mode supply and will not work with dc->ac->dc so a simple 12v DC adaptor will work. Well that is the case for me with my vehicles inverter and my Asus notebooks.

Is 19VDC open voltage? Count the cells in the battery.

+6 hours should be plenty, maybe buy a spare battery rather.

It is only the very large Sony 17/18' NB that require +12VDC - again count the cells in the battery pack.

Dont surf & drive.

Bubba

The Belkin inverter you pictured in your OP is sufficent for your needs. Plus it looks like it has a spare USB port which can be used for peripherals power or charging via USB driven chargers?

I would not but anything over the internet direct from China unless you want something that doubles as a toaster!

Hi, Yes ive got burnt in the past with some thing from ebay and China :D , I was a bit concerned by joncl's comment ...

For what is worth this is not the right way to go about as your power supply is a switched mode supply and will not work with dc->ac->dc so a simple 12v DC adaptor will work. Well that is the case for me with my vehicles inverter and my Asus notebooks.

and the .... will not work with dc->ac->dc

my plan was to plug the Belkin inverter into my vehicle's cigarette lighter socket , then plug in my current ASUS mains voltage charger into the Belkin inverter .

So is the inverter a good way to charge my netbook's battery , still not too sure it its the right way to do it ..? :)

Thanks

^ Well if you can make sense of joncl's post... it makes no sense to me. Not sure what "will not work with dc->ac->dc so a simple 12v DC adaptor will work." really means since the inverter is making DC into AC and it's the power supply/charger that's doing the AC back to DC bit. Maybe joncl can revert with a comma or a full stop somewhere?

I reckon anything that can convert 12V DC to 19V DC is NOT a "simple" adapter!

Anyway, doing the P=I x E calculation, the 200W Belkin will do the trick. It's AC volts that comes out of it and the Asus power supply/charger needs AC volts in and the fact that it is a switched-mode device should not matter.

Edited by NanLaew

Hi , Thanks for your thoughts , now I understand a bit better and will go with the Belkin Inverter, I was also wondering how the advertised ASUS in car adapter could in fact convert the 12 volts DC to 19 Volts DC ...?

Thanks

TL :)

I was also wondering how the advertised ASUS in car adapter could in fact convert the 12 volts DC to 19 Volts DC ...?

It's called a DC-DC converter and the underlying technology is SMPS (switch mode power supply). In this case where the voltage out is higher then the voltage in it is called a boost converter. I've designed a few myself for fuel cell projects where I needed a higher regulated voltage then the FC puts out.