Udon Thani To Vientiane

MZurf

Hello,

After living for many years in Thailand the time has finally come to visit Isaan. My wife and I are planning a trip to Udon Thani in early August (unless the flu situation worsens) and while there we are thinking about going to Vientiane for a couple of days.

What is the most convenient way of going from Udon Thani to Vientiane? How many hours would it take? Can I drive my own car?

Any information would be highly appreciated!

There are regular buses which I think take in the region of an hour.

You can drive your car, again about an hour, then leave it at one of the myriad at parking facilities and get a taxi from from the Laos side of the bridge.

A very painless experience.

PS - Believe there might also be a train link now.

Easiest way is to drive to the bridge, leave your car there and take a taxi from the Laos side to Vientiane. You can also take a bus from Udon. There is a bus schedule on udonmap.com. Also, you can get a sticker for your car in Nong Khai and then drive across the bridge.

Drive to the bridge - 45 minutes from Udon.

At the bridge before the border control you'll see rows of shop houses offering "Visas"

Drive almost into the border area and due a U Turn.

Come back and take first left into the shop houses.

The secure car park is at the back of the shop houses - 90 baht a night.

If your wife is Thai it's easier for her to get a 3 Day Pass. You do this for 120 baht at the shop house. I use the first one on the left as I enter the shop houses.

Wait about 45 minutes - get a coffee and beer from the coffee shop you passed when parking you car,

Then both of you walk the 100 meters or get the free Tuk TUk from the visa shop[ to the Thai passport control - your wife waltzes through - you wait :)

Then 20 baht bus to Laos border on the other side of river.

This time have US$;s - there is a exchange to buy them if you don't - price varies according to where your from $30 - $40 US.

Go to Window number 2 - get the forms (they hide them so the "Pen Mafia" can charge to fill out the forms for you)

Go to window 1 - hand in forms - collect passport at window 3.

That's it - no queuing again as now your passport has been processed. Wife in meantime has walked over into Laos - bought you a baguette and a can of beer Laos to eat and drink while waiting.

A van from the border to Vientianne 935 minutes) is 300 baht - no need for Kip - use Baht and try and get Baht as change.

500 baht you get a ride to your hotel and a 4 ohur tour.

We have two regular drivers we use - Mr Joy and Ohin.

Stay at Riverside hotel - or Day INn

Have fun!

Thanks a lot for the valuable info!

Another question: Any golf courses in the Udon Thani area worth visiting - any hidden gems up there? :)

Edited by MZurf

Thanks a lot for the valuable info!

Another question: Any golf courses in the Udon Thani area worth visiting - any hidden gems up there? :D

Sadly not - all the golf courses have been layed with mines - best not get blown sky high - drink beer laos instead :)