Thailand 'elite' Program In Tatters

george

I wonder why nobody here talks about the real point of the elite card..... At the beginning it was introduced, that every member could buy 1 Rai of land with house on his personal foreign name as freehold..... if this would have happened without restrictions I am sure they would have sold much much more cards! Why not use the bad times now, reinstall the old idea, and sell houses and land to foreigners like Malaysia's Home away from home program. This would make life so much easier for so many here, and the Elite system would survive and work! Cut the golf, limo and spa crap and go for the real stuff that everybody wants: House, land and Visa ![/size]

I agree with this post. The idiots running this are as usual looking at the problem from the wrong perspective. Seems the problem is not enough were sold to finance it's supposed benefits. So they either cancel it and lose face, continue to do nothing and lose money, or actually fix it so they can sell enough cards for it to finance itself.

They could keep the original card as is, and then offer secondary cards to pull in the money to finance the whole thing. Without being able to crunch the numbers it seems obvious to sell people what they actually want. Perhaps a Level 2 Card at say 500k that allows purchase of 1 rai of land (sort out the legals via special legislation) in certain areas only plus a renewable 5 year, no reporting visa. Then offer a Level 3 Card at say 100k that allows only the 5 year no reporting visa. The top level card has these benefits added to it for free as an apology. All cards have "sawatdis" in abundance when going through airports.

Need more, add a special hot line to call if ever in trouble with the police to contact a person with the authority to sort out the problem fairly and quickly, not dodging the law, just guaranteeing impartiality.

Mind you it will never happen, overly beaurocratic systems like Thailand are incapable of taking decisive action. Will probably send it to another junket committee to think about for a few more years.

There seems to be a basic misunderstanding; the people running this scheme are not idiots, quite the contrary they are laughing all the way to the bank. The people who ran / run this scheme are doing very well thank you, but they have no intention / desire to make the business work - they solely want to suck it dry...

In this country you cannot buy land. Period. Remember, the man behind this scheme ran a party called Thai love Thai, remember the national anthem - Thailand is for Thais... Anyone with the slightest knowledge of this contry knows that this mentality will not change anytime soon.

well done,

i think the first word baby speaks is......" PROFIT ".

these guys knew exactly what they were/are doing. ripping all involved off. sadly this is a world condition,not only Thai.

It feels a little unfair to speak so badly of "thai" . Please, i"m not defending them, ( i have wanted to call in an air strike more than once in los ), but pull way back, have a look. :)

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a good friend once told me, "I'd rather know I can buy 10 of these Elite cards than actually own one."

:D

Spoken like people with visa-envy :) ...and in relation to visas, mine is definitely longer than yours or your friend's.

Oh look, it's one of the 'I'm a better expat than you' brigade.

I am on a multiple entry Non-Immigrant B and have been for 10+years now. No envy here. I also have a work permit so I can come and go as I dam_n well please.

And you paid 1 million THB for your visa, while I paid A$220 for mine.

Just too funny.

I do not consider myself any better than other expats here. I was merely responding to that idiotic quote with my own idiotic quote :D

And good for you that there is no envy . So why can't you just accept some people have thb 1mil and CHOOSE to pay for a more convenient lifestyle (that's no annual renewals unlike a work permit) and leave it at that? Some people do not have to work any more, not for A$220, not even for thb 1mil. The funny part for me is you are still working and I am not.

I do apologise to other TV members for this post. I am afraid I have sunk to the levels of responding to posts that add nothing to the discussion.

Many of us have a lot of millions but why pay 4 something that you can get 4 free? In the rich mans world u dont pay 4 things like this,u get payed 4 just being there..ok? :D .These kind of money, they all go to charity (of course) :) Got it.

Many of us have a lot of millions but why pay 4 something that you can get 4 free? In the rich mans world u dont pay 4 things like this,u get payed 4 just being there..ok? :D .These kind of money, they all go to charity (of course) :) Got it.

My handicap is too high to get paid for golf so unfortunately regardless of my bank balance, I still have to pay.

Someone earlier was mocking the 'Elite' part of the name and the fact that us members were purchasing 'Elitism'. The Elite part is something I wish was missing from the name, it really does give off the wrong impression. None of the card members I know feel elite we simply bought into a program where visas were easy and golf was potentially cheaper.

My handicap is too high to get paid for golf so unfortunately regardless of my bank balance, I still have to pay.

Someone earlier was mocking the 'Elite' part of the name and the fact that us members were purchasing 'Elitism'. The Elite part is something I wish was missing from the name, it really does give off the wrong impression. None of the card members I know feel elite we simply bought into a program where visas were easy and golf was potentially cheaper.

I personaly do not blame anyone for trying to make life easier.

But this program was doomed to failure from the onset, It was typical thaksin mentality.

Don't think about how it's going to work just make it sound good and take the money.

There was no way Thailand could sustain this venture, Moreso after the back track on land ownership.

I do not want to see any farang owning lots of land in thailand, But for you to own one rai that your home stands on is not to much to giveaway to you.

Yes.I think u resonate right on what u say here. :D

There is no argument about whether or not TE membership is worth it, it clearly is.

Not all members agree with this. At this time I question what it means after the Elite Company spent all of our lifetime membership fees plus over a billion in debt when services have barely even been used.

The Visa is a bonus feature which creates a great convenience of not having to go the immigration office in Bangkok every 6 months

Not true. The Elite visa only gets 90 days on entry. A member must go to an immigration office every 3 months to extend it. This must be done in person. A fee of 1900 baht per time must be paid. Isn't it kind of absurd Elite members must not only extend their visa and pay for it out of pocket, but at the same time do a duplicate 90 reporting? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a more complicated visa extension process exists for any other type of visa. For those wishing to have long stays in Thailand this is red tape, not great convenience.

A 2500 course played twice per week works out at B260,000 per year

Elite has placed annual limits on golfing and spa's. According to them I cannot use these once or twice a week. I am limited to 24 a year.

In another post you didn't list a lot of benefits that have been axed. To name one, royal orchid gold was cancelled for old members and limited to 2 years for new members. To some members, this was the biggest benefit.

It sounds as if you have received great service, but not all members have received even satisfactory service. I know a gentleman who has repeatedly received poor service from Elite. They sat on their hands each time when he needed them, and then offered only apologies afterwards for letting him down. In my experience Elite is very efficient at making a booking, but are unable to effectively handle other requests.

It's also not nice is it that we members are not told about changes to the Elite program until after it has been in the press for a long time. I am curious if other Elite members are now receiving email spam titled "News Limousine Express" after Elite made the switch to Toyota shuttles.

As a good friend once told me, "I'd rather know I can buy 10 of these Elite cards than actually own one."

Spoken like people with visa-envy :) ...and in relation to visas, mine is definitely longer than yours or your friend's.

Oh look, it's one of the 'I'm a better expat than you' brigade.

I am on a multiple entry Non-Immigrant B and have been for 10+years now. No envy here. I also have a work permit so I can come and go as I dam_n well please.

And you paid 1 million THB for your visa, while I paid A$220 for mine.

Just too funny.

Yes and I'm sure you have your 'free' massage and game of golf every day... just like me... :D

In my opinion, only the 5yrs special entry visa (which I just renewed), the assistance at the airport and the quick transfer are already worth one million.

For all the other privileges the card should be, or 1) more expensive, or 2) there should be an annual fee.

I am a happy TE member. I never used any golf or spa privileges.

It is not about being elite or not, but the program should only attract people for whom one million baht (or more) is not perceived as "a lot of money".

I can certainly say that TE helps me to have an easy life in this country, for which I am very grateful... and fully ready to pay for.

Of course, a number of other people, mostly perk seekers and people who can't afford the card, do not share my opinion, which is natural.

But I guess that I am still allowed to spend my own money wherever I want :)

Without TE I would not have considered to spend time in this country. I will never "work" to get the right paperwork to stay in Thailand, I am too young for the other types of visa, and I don't plan to marry the first girl (and end up in deep trouble) to reside in Thailand.

TE is a wonderful tool for the country to make wealthy people stay (and spend money) in Thailand.

Gerry, what kind of 90 day reporting/reports do you have to do under the 5 year visa?

And it does or doesn't require you to do annual extensions of stay priced at 1900 baht per???

And, if the Thai govt decides to cancel the program this month, how will you feel then???

Gerry, what kind of 90 day reporting/reports do you have to do under the 5 year visa?

And it does or doesn't require you to do annual extensions of stay priced at 1900 baht per???

And, if the Thai govt decides to cancel the program this month, how will you feel then???

Yes I await his reply too. Should be interesting.

A five year visa worth a million baht? The very idea is preposterous.

Without TE I would not have considered to spend time in this country. I will never "work" to get the right paperwork to stay in Thailand, I am too young for the other types of visa, and I don't plan to marry the first girl (and end up in deep trouble) to reside in Thailand.

TE is a wonderful tool for the country to make wealthy people stay (and spend money) in Thailand.

Come on, you can get a Non-Immigrant 'O' with little or no paperwork for only a couple of hundred dollars, regardless of your situation.

Come on, you can get a Non-Immigrant 'O' with little or no paperwork for only a couple of hundred dollars, regardless of your situation.

Awesome - my situation is: resident in Thailand, I have several type O's from the last decade. I'm 35.

I have $200 ready to go. What do I do next? (don't suggest I do anything illegal please!)

Edited by hoozer

Ok guys, it's time to clarify what this Elite Card really is all about, it all started when a word went missing during the printing time, so, because of this little error many people probably thought the "Elite" were actually the people buying the cards, i am afraid but the reality of the facts are talking by their own, the "Elite" were the people getting the biggest profits from these cards, the ones deciding the rules, benefits, prices and everything else about these cards, the missing word was "SCAM", with that simple clarification the whole program should have been addressed as "Elite Card Scam" where the thai Elites are scamming their customers with this little trick, now guess whom is going to win? my guess is whom creates and modify any rules as they wish, good luck all.

In my opinion, only the 5yrs special entry visa (which I just renewed), the assistance at the airport and the quick transfer are already worth one million.

Wooow,.Why not use that money 4 something else,that's really just a waste of it! I also get a quick transfer(by myself).What u get? Suzuki Hayabusa from ur plane to the Customs? hehe.N if i need assistance, i lift on my little finger and help is on the way.Promtee.4 free!Well guess u give a 100,000 bath everyweek 2 people in need that (hopefully) :) cross ur way.Oooo i forgot, may u r in a need of weelchair,oooo, that 1 u also get as a free service. :D .

I can certainly say that TE helps me to have an easy life in this country, for which I am very grateful... and fully ready to pay for.

Of course, a number of other people, mostly perk seekers and people who can't afford the card, do not share my opinion, which is natural.

But I guess that I am still allowed to spend my own money wherever I want :D

Hola .Another thing,I tell u that there r, many(yes) farangs who stay in Thailand with ALOT on money who just dont use their money 4 this as u say u do.And there r also Many with 1/1000 OF money that u have,and they certainly have an easy life, n HAPPY 2.Maybe even better than urs.R u born with a silverspoon,then u have no imagination!(guess u r since u say what u say).2 have gelte make u have obligations "2 the world".Aand u mention work,.Well i dont need to be a "shrink"2 analyze that u have a lot 2 learn about LIFE.Annnddd u should know that other TE members r ashamed of the way u "speak" . :D . :) Ps: "Perks" in the wrong places want the world to repeat the history,,,,xsample: Bastilledays :D

You first two questions have been answered hundreds of times already...

I just don't understand why you come again with the "1900b detail" :D Do you think that someone who pays a million for a card pays attention to 1900b?

And for your third question; "if" the program is canceled, how will I feel?

1) I am convinced that the program will not be canceled. I am hearing this "if" since 5 years and will probably hear it for many more years.

2) If I am wrong and the program is cancelled, which everyone here seems to eagerly expect, why should it be a problem? All of you already gave us (the members) soooooo many "smart" advices about "cheap" ways to stay in Thailand... that I really feel totally confortable :) Don't worry for my feelings :D

3) However, be sure that if there is another "paying" option emerging, I will certainly go for that one and keep my life as easy as possible.

But, as I said, I don't think that TE will be closed down, which is a good thing because it will keep this forum alive forever :D

I just don't understand why you come again with the "1900b detail" :) Do you think that someone who pays a million for a card pays attention to 1900b?

But it isn't 1900 baht. Elite visa extensions could very well cost some members a quarter million baht over the long haul (think 30 years x 4 extensions @ 1900 baht). Bear in mind 1900 baht extensions is a 5 fold price hike compared to extensions less than 10 years ago. So if extensions receive another steep hike like before, extending the elite visa could very well cost more than the Elite card itself! At that point elite members could hop on a visa run bus to Cambodia every 3 months to get around paying another million or two baht in extension fees. Ironic isn't it, buy a card for the privilege of continuous stay in Thailand only to find yourself on the bus with the english teacher lot. It's actually very plausible except for gerry and the other cheer leaders who will say that's chump change and the fee is so worth it and they love elite. Let's see in 5 or 10 years.

I just don't understand why you come again with the "1900b detail" :) Do you think that someone who pays a million for a card pays attention to 1900b?

But it isn't 1900 baht. Elite visa extensions could very well cost some members a quarter million baht over the long haul (think 30 years x 4 extensions @ 1900 baht). Bear in mind 1900 baht extensions is a 5 fold price hike compared to extensions less than 10 years ago. So if extensions receive another steep hike like before, extending the elite visa could very well cost more than the Elite card itself! At that point elite members could hop on a visa run bus to Cambodia every 3 months to get around paying another million or two baht in extension fees. Ironic isn't it, buy a card for the privilege of continuous stay in Thailand only to find yourself on the bus with the english teacher lot. It's actually very plausible except for gerry and the other cheer leaders who will say that's chump change and the fee is so worth it and they love elite. Let's see in 5 or 10 years.

I agree Cali. But gerry does notb think analytically or logically in that way

I cant believe I am reading this SHIT from NON-MEMBERS!!!!!!

Why do you care???

We as members have paid our dues and will suffer the out come of any future goverment decision...

We have been going thru this for the last 3 years and the program is STILL GOING! And I dont believe the goverment will cancel it... but if they do they do then after 4 years I already have my money back...

The 15-20 TE members that I know are more than happy with what they have recieved so far...

Leave it alone PLEASE!

I just don't understand why you come again with the "1900b detail" :D Do you think that someone who pays a million for a card pays attention to 1900b?

:) Aaaargh... I feel so lucky that I don't have to be logical or analytical like you are. My life would be a misery :D

I cant believe I am reading this SHIT from NON-MEMBERS!!!!!!

Why do you care???

We as members have paid our dues and will suffer the out come of any future goverment decision...

We have been going thru this for the last 3 years and the program is STILL GOING! And I dont believe the goverment will cancel it... but if they do they do then after 4 years I already have my money back...

The 15-20 TE members that I know are more than happy with what they have recieved so far...

Leave it alone PLEASE!

Hehe.cha,cha now.So angry.People in the world will never ever leave capitalists on that level alone, They(the majority of the world) have 2 fight every day 4 survival,when the rich just keep on and not sharing.I surely hope 1 day "survival" cant b bought 4 Money.Then the toppyramide sitters will crash down n b helpless as never b4.Who's gonna help ?( I have seen it happen,With the money lost they turn in to crawled up babies is mothers womb. )Totally helpless as their world is falling apart.They wont b able 2 cope with that on their own. Dont think many care about that No.Guess u also have forgot the bastille days.Ps: There r exceptions among wealthy People ,but not " a plenty. :)

Now you two are totally failing to think both 'analytically and logically'.

Let us assume that his marginal utility of money is so infinitely smaller than yours that it is actually perfectly ok for him to justify buying a TE elite card. To the extent you think the TE scheme is crap you must assume his marginal utility is simply lower. You need to think about it for a while because it does require a bit of a leap in thinking for you guys.

So based now on what you must know about his marginal utility of money which must be incredibly low for him to justify a TE card if he is both logical and analytical, then even the very concept that paying Bt250,000 over an additional Bt1,000,000 during the next 30 years sounds like a minor inconvenience that should be handed over to the maid.

You have to admit the assumption that he is wealthier than you and extremely stupid would be heroic while the concept that he equates relatively low returns on his Bt1million as perfectly acceptable would seem to reflect his relative wealth rather than intelligence. Cant you see that he doesnt need to think what '30 years x 4 extensions x 1900 baht amounts to, because the calculation would bug both him and his calculator (yeah and I know you even got your calculator out.)

He on the other hand might find your willingness to stand in some queue at immigration for an hour as both boring and highly irritating. To be honest if someone was to pass judgment on who was 'analytical and logical' based on the postings to date and rough and ready assumptions on how the implied wealth of an individual reflected the intelligence to accumulate wealth, you would be looking pretty bad.

Let us assume that his marginal utility of money is so infinitely smaller than yours that it is actually perfectly ok for him to justify buying a TE elite card. To the extent you think the TE scheme is crap you must assume his marginal utility is simply lower. You need to think about it for a while because it does require a bit of a leap in thinking for you guys.

So based now on what you must know about his marginal utility of money which must be incredibly low for him to justify a TE card if he is both logical and analytical, then even the very concept that paying Bt250,000 over an additional Bt1,000,000 during the next 30 years sounds like a minor inconvenience that should be handed over to the maid.

You have to admit the assumption that he is wealthier than you and extremely stupid would be heroic while the concept that he equates relatively low returns on his Bt1million as perfectly acceptable would seem to reflect his relative wealth rather than intelligence. Cant you see that he doesnt need to think what '30 years x 4 extensions x 1900 baht amounts to, because the calculation would bug both him and his calculator (yeah and I know you even got your calculator out.)

He on the other hand might find your willingness to stand in some queue at immigration for an hour as both boring and highly irritating. To be honest if someone was to pass judgment on who was 'analytical and logical' based on the postings to date and rough and ready assumptions on how the implied wealth of an individual reflected the intelligence to accumulate wealth, you would be looking pretty bad.

Your LOGIC assumes the member stays here full time which is not the case for the majority of members..

You are making too many assumptions to make your post a sensible one to debate. And what does your venom show everyone?

You actually made some good points but spoilt it with hubris.

low returns on his Bt1million as perfectly acceptable would seem to reflect his relative wealth

When faced with information which challenges claims of savings, Elite members react irrationally sort of like "how dare you point out I didn't really save 1m baht and so now I am going to berate and belittle you peons". It is strange to receive such emotional reactions from people who claim 1m means nothing to them. This also contradicts your claim low returns are "perfectly acceptable" to them.

He on the other hand might find your willingness to stand in some queue at immigration for an hour as both boring and highly irritating.

Immigration is like a prison system. There is no special treatment to those that wind up there for an extension. Elite members must go to the counter, get a number, and wait behind everyone else for as many hours as it takes.

Your LOGIC assumes the member stays here full time which is not the case for the majority of members.

Absolutely, that is why I characterized future visa run bus prospects as *some* Elite members. Particularly those that chose the Elite card because of the visa.

Edited by cali

low returns on his Bt1million as perfectly acceptable would seem to reflect his relative wealth

When faced with information which challenges claims of savings, Elite members react irrationally sort of like "how dare you point out I didn't really save 1m baht and so now I am going to berate and belittle you peons". It is strange to receive such emotional reactions from people who claim 1m means nothing to them. This also contradicts your claim low returns are "perfectly acceptable" to them.

He on the other hand might find your willingness to stand in some queue at immigration for an hour as both boring and highly irritating.

Immigration is like a prison system. There is no special treatment to those that wind up there for an extension. Elite members must go to the counter, get a number, and wait behind everyone else for as many hours as it takes.

Your LOGIC assumes the member stays here full time which is not the case for the majority of members.

Absolutely, that is why I characterized future visa run bus prospects as *some* Elite members. Particularly those that chose the Elite card because of the visa.

You are wrong about waiting at immagration for hours...we get a 'special' queue... never taken me more than 45 minutes, usually under 30... and in 4 years I have done this a total of 6 times... so 6 x 1900 /4 x 30 = 85,500thb... doesnt seem that bad to me? I just hope I live that long...

And with less than 8% using the TE visa (200 out of 2500) and i'm not sure what % of the 200 use it to stay in Thaialnd full time, you seem to dribble on a lot over nothing...

But then again you are the 'analytical & logistical' type person... or just have nothing better to do...

I agree with the notion of having multiple levels of an Elite card with escalating privileges. That may work.

Thinking they could sign up a million people wealthy enough to afford the plan they have now was dumb. People that wealthy probably have other places they need to be during the course of a year.

People that wealthy don't need to think about getting a discount ("See my card? I am a millionaire. I could buy your establishment if I wanted to. Now give me my THB 500 discount, please."

People that wealthy should be smart enough to know that they can find ways to "effectively" own land if they want it for less than the price of the card! People that wealthy don't NEED to stay in Thailand past 90 days - they can hop a quick flight to wherever and return with a new 90 day visa.

My ideal membership levels (cumulative):

THB 200k - you can stay in Thailand for 2 years. Renewable every 2 years.

THB 500k - you can stay in Thailand for 5 years plus golf, spa, etc. discounts. Renewable every 5 years.

THB 1M - you can work in Thailand with a THB 60k salary per month tax exemption for 10 years. Renewable every 10 years.

THB 2M - you can "buy" up to 1 rai of land anywhere except restricted areas. The government would actually hold title to the land and you would have a 10 year usufruct agreement with the government and right to convey the usufruct. Renewable every 10 years.

THB 5M+ - various perks (BMW transport, concierge services, etc. as per the current plan). Renewable every 10 years.

It would make sense to the punter because they are spending at least that much anyway - but instead of the money going to travel companies, it goes to the government. Travel companies will still have plenty of business from the <1 year visa punters they service now. AND less hassle for everyone. They could make it even more lucrative by tacking on a re-entry fee (THB 2-3k) if the punter leaves and comes back during the period. AND rather than issue card, immigration would do it all with just a simple special stamp which you would show when you need your benefits.

Who wouldn't be happily sign up for a card with benefits like these?!? Imagine the number of people who would be rushing for such benefits. They would make a killing on sheer volume and renewals.

No one will sign up for anything in Thailand anymore if it requires upfront money. Their credibility is zero. Your idea is a good one only if the money is paid after the services are received....and I know...that ain't gonna happen.

You are wrong about waiting at immagration for hours...we get a 'special' queue

These are not the instructions the rest of us receive so you have some explaining to do if you are actually an Elite member. The instructions members receive state "Once be called / queue number shown on the notice board at counter no.1, get the passport back". My extension took about half a day to complete. I called a meeting with Elite management and explained the inefficiencies I noted and proposed simple ways to improve the process. Ultimately they failed to do anything because their government liason will not bring this issue to up with immigration because in his words the director is a busy man and is not to be disturbed for something relating to a trivial number of people. So these frequent, redundant, and inconvenient extensions are here to stay.

And with less than 8% using the TE visa (200 out of 2500)

The 200 number is in regards to how many members applied for a new 5 year visa this year, not how many have one.