Work Permit Medical Certificate

Any advice on where to get my health checked?

Do you know what they check for?

I imagine, HIV, drugs, disease.

How thorough do they get? Is it a quickie or do the run you on the treadmill, piss samples, blood etc..?

Curious.

Thanks

Any advice on where to get my health checked?

Do you know what they check for?

I imagine, HIV, drugs, disease.

How thorough do they get? Is it a quickie or do the run you on the treadmill, piss samples, blood etc..?

Curious.

Thanks

A quickie is the usual.

Its a quickie. Just tell them its a health certificate for a wp.

Mine took 5 minutes. Temperature, weight, blood pressure.

Afew hard hitting questions like...what do you do? are you an alcoholic? do you have TB? epileptic? HIV?

Then the doctor wrote Healthy and I got a stamp and done....

B250.

My new employer insisted on a proper medical certificate - so I had to give a urine sample to check drug addiction (presence of drugs) and have a blood test to check on syphillis. Not sure how they check for the other deseases mentioned above (leprosy, tuberculosis, elephantitus) which appear on the certificate. There was no mention of HIV and I understand that Thai employers can no longer require an HIV test as a condition for employment.

I went to Paolo Memorial Hospital, it took an hour, they gave me snacks and coffee while I waited and the whole thing cost about 1,100 baht. I had checked at BNH and they wanted 1,500 baht.

I'm not sure the quickie medical certificates of yore are still being accepted?

A blood test for syphilis is required now and is major talking point in teaching forum(s). This is first time have seen mention of drug urine sample (but could have easily missed it) as that is normally just visual check for injected drugs.

Had mine done last year around Sept, same was quick, blood pressure, weight, temperature, asked some questions.

That was it, I believe I paid 200 baht. Had it done at a little clinic on silom rd. United center bld 2nd floor.

A blood test for syphilis is required now

Sorry to go off topic but I'd like to relay a tale. Last year I woke up one morning and found my chest covered in a red rash. Having eaten some crab the night before I naturally assumed it was an allergic reaction to the food. Went to the dermatologist with my wife and, after an examination, the doctor pronounced it as syphilis! He wouldn't listen to a word about my eating crab and the fact I'd had reactions to seafood occasionally in the past. I tried to explain that I'd been a dedicated married family man for the past 8 years but he wasn't having any of it. The icing on the cake was when he turned to my wife and said "Maybe his wife has been with another man and given it to her husband."

Who did he think my wife was? My paid UN translator?

I had to really insist he give me some cream and antibiotics for an allergy which he grudgingly did obviously a bit miffed about my questioning of his "expertise".

Cleared up within 3 days.

Go to any clinic with your passport and ask them for a medical certificate to get a WP. They have standard forms to certify you don't have leprosy, drug addiction/alcoholism, TB, elephantiasis or insanity and they will usually quickly check you for all of these with a blood pressure gauge. What most of the clinics and hospitals don't yet know is the Department of Employment has within the last few months added syphilis to this list and your application will be rejected if you are not certified clear of this disease too. So before you agree to anything at the clinic make sure they can either get instant results on a syphilis test or will certify you without doing the test (no bad thing to be sure you don't have syph anyway as it can be latent for years but is easy to cure). Many of the small clinics don't have the testing kits, even though they are inexpensive and easy to use, as Thais don't often ask for the test and they will send your blood off somewhere for a few days to get the result. See another thread on the topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Syphilis-Tes...hilis&st=50 .

Sorry to go off topic but I'd like to relay a tale. Last year I woke up one morning and found my chest covered in a red rash. Having eaten some crab the night before I naturally assumed it was an allergic reaction to the food. Went to the dermatologist with my wife and, after an examination, the doctor pronounced it as syphilis! He wouldn't listen to a word about my eating crab and the fact I'd had reactions to seafood occasionally in the past. I tried to explain that I'd been a dedicated married family man for the past 8 years but he wasn't having any of it. The icing on the cake was when he turned to my wife and said "Maybe his wife has been with another man and given it to her husband."

I had to really insist he give me some cream and antibiotics for an allergy which he grudgingly did obviously a bit miffed about my questioning of his "expertise".

syphilis is good at hiding :)

Interesting as I have to apply for a WP soon and did not know about the siffy thing.

Syphilis bacteria can be detected by examining material from infectious sores under a microscope. A safe, accurate, and inexpensive blood test is also available. The test can detect syphilis antibodies produced by the body shortly after infection occurs. A low level of antibodies will stay in the blood for months or years after the disease has been treated and can be found by later blood tests.

So even after you have been treated and cured there is a chance that a bloodtest shows a positive?

• 5 months later...
Interesting as I have to apply for a WP soon and did not know about the siffy thing.

Syphilis bacteria can be detected by examining material from infectious sores under a microscope. A safe, accurate, and inexpensive blood test is also available. The test can detect syphilis antibodies produced by the body shortly after infection occurs. A low level of antibodies will stay in the blood for months or years after the disease has been treated and can be found by later blood tests.

So even after you have been treated and cured there is a chance that a bloodtest shows a positive?

This is exactly the scary part! As Syphillis, gonorrhea, chlamydia etc are all treated with the same antibiotics and syphillis being the dormant one that would probably never outbreak if any of the others occur and get treated with those antibiotics, you may have syphillis antibodies in your blood without even being aware of it.

All not really applicable to me, but I have a syringe phobia. No kidding. Blood tests? Yes, after 2 or 3 Xanax, there's a good chance that I do not fight for my life when that needle comes close to me. Other than that? No way! :)

• 1 year later...

Just asking question about work related and syphilis.

My friend sign a 1 year contract in one of the intl. school in Bangkok, after working for 7 weeks, she was terminated because the school found out that she has a syphilis after doing a medical check up for work permit. The school ask her to resign than to terminate her but she cant get anything from the school. The question is , when you get a desease, the contract become invalid? What she will need to do now?

And the welts in your head from your wife whacking you with the somtam pestle went down a few weeks later.

I had Dengue fever misdiagnosed and diagnosed it my self, insisted LOUDLY he test for Dengue Fever,

he did and guess what It was Dengue.... I listed the symptoms and did the diagnosis he tried to ignore my list.