Cost Of Owning A Swimming Pool At Home ?

meyori

Dreaming to have our own swimming pool at our home. Now we are process of planning to build a house. Is there any one can give us rough idea of cost to build one as well as maintenance/water, electricity etc ? We really need a small one, nothing fancy just for me and my husband. Thank you.

You'd be better of posting in the Swimming Pool Forum for specifics but the following may help:

You should set aside approx 650,000 - 850,000 baht for a decent size 5m x 8m pool concrete tiled pool, but it all depends on how deep you want it, whether it will be a liner pool or a concrete / tile pool, a chlorine pool or saltwater pool.

A pool guy will cost you anywhere between 2000 - 3500 baht per month for taking care of your pool, cleaning, chemicals etc

The above sized pool will cost maybe 1500 - 2000 baht worth of electricity each month to run the pump 8 hours per day / lights for 4 hours per day etc. After the initial fill of about 3000 baht's worth of water trucks (+50,000 litres) water costs are minimal for topping up any evaporation.

Pool companies differ hugely in cost so you need to find one that has a good reputation but not extortionists either. I used a small firm over the large firms like JD / Desjoyeux as the build quality seemed better. But you must be careful that you don't choose a cowboy firm with not much pool experience. Word of mouth and recommedations are a good way to choose a pool company.

Hope the above helps, but is only my personal comments. Others will beg to differ I'm sure. There are many factors that will affect the overall price so the prices above are just ball-park.

If you want a recommendation of a good pool guy in Phuket then PM me and I can pass on his contact details (he wasn't the fastest guy in the world but really good quality build and high quality system parts). You are also welcome to have a look at my pool if you wanted to and to ask any questions.

Reason for edit - grammar

Edited by robertsonmartin

I saw a few advertisements a year or so ago for a tiny 4  X 8 metre for around 400K.  Not sure what that included.  Be advised some pool companies have their own crews, while others just hire a contractor to build.  When we had ours built during the time we were building the house, our architect recommended having our contractor do it, which he did to a good quality build.  We then got bids from the various pool company suppliers regarding equipment and the contractor and pool supplier worked together with no problems.

Navinda in Chalong gets you a fiberglasspool 4 x 8 Riviera at 400.000 baht all included.

Electricity for pump for this poolsize is 500 baht/month. 450 Watt 8 hours a day.

Poolcleaning once a week incl chemicals is 3-4.000 baht/month.

Chemicals only if you clean it yourself is 2-3.000 baht/year.

Water one m3 a week, so 5-100 baht depending on your watersource

My pools seem to have always been a bit high on the electric side then.. Big pool at >5k a month and a tiny little one with a 3/4hp pump at about 2500 only running a couple of hours morning and night..

3/4 hp is normally 450 watt pump in 220volt. At 4 baht/unit, thats 2 baht/hour. 8 hours a day for 30 days is 480 baht. a saltwaterclorinator is another couple hundred baht/month. 2 Lights 150watt is 300watt + loss in 220/12 volt transformer lets say 500 watt/hour thats 2 baht hour, but I prefere the diode lights almost running for free and no bulbreplacement

My pools seem to have always been a bit high on the electric side then.. Big pool at >5k a month and a tiny little one with a 3/4hp pump at about 2500 only running a couple of hours morning and night..

3/4 hp is normally 450 watt pump in 220volt. At 4 baht/unit, thats 2 baht/hour. 8 hours a day for 30 days is 480 baht. a saltwaterclorinator is another couple hundred baht/month. 2 Lights 150watt is 300watt + loss in 220/12 volt transformer lets say 500 watt/hour thats 2 baht hour, but I prefere the diode lights almost running for free and no bulbreplacement

I suspect poor pool design (100% know this) is a factor and the pump may be labouring at terrible inefficiency.. You have kind of confirmed that.

How much for one of those decent sized infinity pools? Or do they only install them alongside buying a new villa? :)

They can be installed anywhere, even if you don't have a sea view. The sound of water falling on to some stones gives a nice relaxing "babbling brook" effect. Cost will depend on pool size & there is no premium for being an infinity pool. Feel free to PM me if you want more info or a photo.