Looking For English Teacher 2-3 Hours A Day

Coven

I have an apartment in Sathorn area and want a tutor for a Thai friend. I think 2 hours every day for 4 or 5 days a week would be a good start. He needs to be able to read, write and speak English. I want him to go to AUA but his skills are not up to that par.

What suggestions can anyone make for me to find a good, qualified teacher?

What pay rate is appropriate?

Thanks.

It might be helpful to post a little more information. How old is your friend? What grade did he complete in school? Is he/she motivated to learn English and does it come reasonably easily or is it difficult?

Best of luck.

My friend is 18 years old. He has passed Thailand Grade 6. I think learning English comes hard for him. He is smart. I took him to AUA and they said he knew the alphabet but that was about it. He speaks absolutely no English. I am friends with his family for many years and they asked if I would help him to learn but it is not in my nature so I thought I would get help. :) He is motivated to learn English as he wants to go to university. He is currently enrolled in high school (Sunday all day program).

He is motivated to learn English as he wants to go to university.

If this is his only reason for wanting to learn English, he would probably be wasting his time. Tell him to write some of the other Entrance Exam subjects instead. Unless the system has changed, applicants have to write three subjects. Naturally, they choose the ones where they think they have a comparative advantage.

If he is planning to study at Ramkhamhaeng (Open University), I do not even think that the Entrance Exam is necessary, although he may have to wait until he is older than 18, in addition to having to finish his high school first.

I think what you are suggesting is too intense, maybe start him on 10 hour blocks of 6 x 1.5 hours and one 1 hour to revise the syllabus covered. A fair price for that would be 4000 Baht per block of 10 hours. Probably start off at 2 or 3 sessions a week. I think 400 Baht per hour for one on one tutoring is a reasonable price, to truly gain knowledge he needs to be pro-active and motivated, difficult if as you say he speaks little English. Good Luck

Edited by aitch52

I have an apartment in Sathorn area and want a tutor for a Thai friend. I think 2 hours every day for 4 or 5 days a week would be a good start. He needs to be able to read, write and speak English. I want him to go to AUA but his skills are not up to that par.

What suggestions can anyone make for me to find a good, qualified teacher?

What pay rate is appropriate?

Thanks.

Hello - I just read your message regarding a teacher. After teaching 5+ years here with Inlingua International Schools I quit. My plan now is to consult on Public Speaking, IELTS, TOEFL. as well as SAT tests etc. I found your special request and thought I would respond maybe I can be of help. My suggestion is that he will advance faster if you would have 2 more students in his class - role play is very important.

Please go to my web page which is being updated and obviously not current but still has enough information regarding me and my efforts to help qualified students.

Edited by Scott
email, phone # not allowed, Scott

Truthfully you are wasting your time and money looking for a male Farang teacher.. No matter what he says he really is NOT motivated.. If he was, after 12 years of taking English in Pathom and Matayom he would know more than his ABC's.

I have taught 4 years at AUA and 8 Years in Matayom (overlapping) and I can tell you that the best way to get him enough basic skills to get into AUA Intro "A" (starting level) is to find him a THAI tutor that can explain the basics and communicate with him. a Farang will just intimidate him and scare him off.

Not just Thai.. but a Thai GIRL... University student, English Major... Never mind that she probably isn't fluent, or maybe can't hold a conversation... But she will teach him the basics.... AUA requires a basic READING ability... and basic Grammer.... The Placement test has no Speaking component... that will come later.. he needs to read and have some understanding of basic concepts... and a Thai can give him that... Once he gets into AUA he can progress from there.

He's an 18 year old BOY, and like 18 year old boys anywhere he is suseptable to manipulation and encouragement from the"weaker" sex..

and there is no better motivation then trying to impress a pretty girl.

Trust me on this... I know what I'm talking about!

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

Truthfully you are wasting your time and money looking for a male Farang teacher.. No matter what he says he really is NOT motivated.. If he was, after 12 years of taking English in Pathom and Matayom he would know more than his ABC's.

I have taught 4 years at AUA and 8 Years in Matayom (overlapping) and I can tell you that the best way to get him enough basic skills to get into AUA Intro "A" (starting level) is to find him a THAI tutor that can explain the basics and communicate with him. a Farang will just intimidate him and scare him off.

Not just Thai.. but a Thai GIRL... University student, English Major... Never mind that she probably isn't fluent, or maybe can't hold a conversation... But she will teach him the basics.... AUA requires a basic READING ability... and basic Grammer.... The Placement test has no Speaking component... that will come later.. he needs to read and have some understanding of basic concepts... and a Thai can give him that... Once he gets into AUA he can progress from there.

He's an 18 year old BOY, and like 18 year old boys anywhere he is suseptable to manipulation and encouragement from the"weaker" sex..

and there is no better motivation then trying to impress a pretty girl.

Trust me on this... I know what I'm talking about!

CS

Absolutely agree. Social pressure would help a lot too, better a small class of beginners than one on one instruction at this point.