Thaksin To Spend A Billion Baht To Launch 'voice Tv' Network

sriracha john

To say that it's som kind of a "masterstroke" requires a very high degree of adulation for the person.

It's a propaganda tool, pure and simple. And a transparent one at that (not unlike Ferwert :). Education, OTOP, there's no one interested in watching that kind of content in the first place.

The Colonel will gladly invest one billion to brainwash and recruit more redskirts in hopes he can return and scoop up the billions he made off the country the last time he was PM.

Clearly more than you ..............

" The TV ( television channel ) idea is a masterstroke from an adept, clever and cunning politician."

That's hardly a paean is it ??

Perhaps I should have added the word sly, to make it easier for you to understand.

phil.

i understand people like you very well

there are non so blind as those who do not want to see

this grand ''idea'' of his already exists

tune to channels 80-90 on True satelitte and you can see it for yourself

DLTV-DIRECT LEARNING TELEVISON

THICKSKIN SIMPLY STOLE IT AND REPACKAGED THE IDEA

new light through old windows, nothing more.......

as to him being clever and cunning?, i would respect him more if after committing his crimes against Thailand and its people, he had taken every satang with him when he ran away, instead of leaving billions of baht here to be seized by the courts and led to it by detectives who could not normally find a stolen motorbike yet the very clever and cunning Thickskin left a paper trail a mile wide that led them straight to the money.

very ''adept, clever and cunning politician'' huh?

just the kind of man you want in charge of a country.........

Otop was not Thaksin's idea - he copied it off Japanese.

Implementation was all his, though.

In tourist areas they might do ok, but this kind of stuff was on sale there long before Otop, and it will be on sale long after, and they don't particularly care what it's called now. They just use the Otop name for tax purposes. Outside of the beaten track the original One Tamboon One Products can't sell shit, that's why they used to set various Otop markets and fairs aroudn the country but now they can't sell shit at those either, as most of these products are copycats. And if the government doesn't organise those fairs and promote them on national TV, they are ghost towns.

The OTOP buzz has worn off long ago, now they are surviving on their intrinsic values or whatever it's called in marketing.

I have absolutely no idea what the Otop TV channel is supposed to achieve. Thai shopping programs are not the most riveting stuff, there's a reason they put them on air only way past midnight when no one is watching.

To say that it's som kind of a "masterstroke" requires a very high degree of adulation for the person.

Hiya Plus and nothing to do with adulation, I actually detest what has tried and is trying to do.

However, the man has brains, money, vision and ambition ( and of course all the other adjectives.......) and if I understand correctly, this idea could possibly undermine, and perhaps become more popular than, the current mainstream TV in a relatively short time.

OTOP and education channels are red herrings, it's all about propaganda.

The powers that be control the media and it will obviously hurt them if Thaksin can turn himself and his ambitions into an international and domestic media project that is beyond their control or influence.

Who knows where this could lead over 5 / 10 years ??

He is setting up to now to be able to control this television media down the road and at the same time pandering to his

current supporters and being seen to be doing something new and beneficial.

Tactically, I think it is a very clever move ---masterstroke is overstatement, my apologies.

Worthy of note also is that, I think "Da Torpedo" just got acquitted this afternoon.

Phil

N

It's a propaganda tool, pure and simple. And a transparent one at that (not unlike Ferwert :). Education, OTOP, there's no one interested in watching that kind of content in the first place.

The Colonel will gladly invest one billion to brainwash and recruit more redskirts in hopes he can return and scoop up the billions he made off the country the last time he was PM.

Absolutely right and agree 100%

Problem is, what if he can pull it off ??

phil

However, the man has brains, money, vision and ambition ( and of course all the other adjectives.......) and if I understand correctly, this idea could possibly undermine, and perhaps become more popular than, the current mainstream TV in a relatively short time.

He is renting channels from unnamed satellite and people need a special dish to watch them, and he won't get a broadcasting license in this country.

Do you have any suggestion how he can actually make any money out of it? There are dozens of satellites and hundreds of free channels no one wants to watch already. All the good stuff, like HBO, is off limits to Thaksin.

>>

Oh, and Da Torpedo was aquitted only of leading an assault on ASTV. She was still found guilty of defaming Sondhi, and she still faces the pending LM trial.

Edited by Plus

It's a propaganda tool, pure and simple. And a transparent one at that (not unlike Ferwert :) . Education, OTOP, there's no one interested in watching that kind of content in the first place.

Absolutely right and agree 100%

Problem is, what if he can pull it off ??

phil

anything else you want to flip flop on whilst you are in the mood?

OTOP and education channels are red herrings, it's all about propaganda.

The powers that be control the media and it will obviously hurt them if Thaksin can turn himself and his ambitions into an international and domestic media project that is beyond their control or influence.

Who knows where this could lead over 5 / 10 years ??

He is setting up to now to be able to control this television media down the road and at the same time pandering to his

current supporters and being seen to be doing something new and beneficial.

Tactically, I think it is a very clever move ---masterstroke is overstatement, my apologies.

excepting that the media is changing - the Internet is taking over and unless he webcasts via the internet he will not be reaching the younger people.

the traditional media is going the way of the dodo , and unless they adapt they will die.

Thaksin to launch 'Voice TV' network

Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to spend more than 1 Billion Baht in setting up a global television network called "Voice TV", which will start airing from next month, a Pheu Thai Party Samut Prakan MP said yesterday.

During his phone-in on Sunday night, the birthday boy said he would launch television channels devoted to education, the poor, and selling Otop products.

Pracha Prasopdee said the network will be linked to People's Station and MTV and can be viewed on the already existing www.voicetv.co.th website. Though the MP refused to reveal which satellite will be used to broadcast Voice TV, he did say that the government would not be able to block its signal.

After having travelled to several countries to gather information, do feasibility studies, and to talk to businessmen, diplomats, and academics over the past three months, Thaksin will be putting his plans in action next month, he said.

In fact, Pracha said, Thaksin might even host his own television programmes.

The Voice TV website, run under the motto "Voice of New Generation", broadcasts Thai and foreign news shows including latest updates on Thaksin and links to his speeches like his phone-in on Sunday to mark his 60th birthday.

Pracha said the website would focus on inspiring the new generation to express themselves and share their opinions, which would offer society new opportunities.

Pheu Thai Party's Deputy Leader Panpree Pahittanukorn said the Party would be happy if the government helped materialise Thaksin's idea of launching three TV channels for Thai citizens because it would not require huge sums.

"We have proposed the idea, and if this government does not want it, it doesn't matter because when we take over we will make it part of the national agenda," he said.

The "big surprise" that Thaksin had promised was revealed on Sunday when he said he was planning to launch 100 TV stations that could be watched across the globe. He said these TV stations would prove that his support for Thai citizens was still strong, and that three types of shows ready for kick off were related to selling Otop products, tutoring students, and soliciting funds for the poor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-28

Thaksin has still not realised that all his projects like OTOP, Thai food worldwide, Privilege Card etc.

have miserably failed, are finished and dead. Can this man think rationally at all and learn ever ?

posttenebraslux

What about all his investments in Nicaragua and Montenegro, not to mention Africa, or even his "For Better, Shinawatra Future" foundation?

Why is his next brain fart is suddenly called a masterstroke, especially by people who know his history?

What about all his investments in Nicaragua and Montenegro, not to mention Africa, or even his "For Better, Shinawatra Future" foundation?

Why is his next brain fart is suddenly called a masterstroke, especially by people who know his history?

That's the problem with history.....most don't retain. :)

You have to take everything Mr. T says in the context of who he is and the sorts of things he's said in the past. For starters, nearly everything he states publicly is a lie. I'd like to put it more diplomatically, but saying he lies is the most straightforward assessment of the man. If in doubt, start with the numerous times he has declared emphatically that he was no longer involved with politics. Here's another: when he promised the Thai judiciary (and the Thai people) that he would return after going to attend the Beijing Olympics. The list could go on and on for pages.

The other thing about the man, is everything he says involves power grabs and/or accumulating more money and/or sour grapes for everyone being against him. Is this the sort of person you (or anyone) wants in charge of an educational channel?

Every action he's taken in the past ten years has been to amass money or power or sympathy. Just by coming out and saying he plans to set up some TV stations to benefit (or educate) the Thai people, doesn't impress me at all. Certainly not the educational part. Even regarding business. He's lauded as such a savvy businessman, but he himself laments that he's lost large portions of money by stupid investment strategies.

As for education. Does he plan to enable Thai nationals to teach English on TV? I hope not. From what I've heard, both through the grapevine and from 1st hand reports from students, Thais teaching English doesn't work. Simple reason; very few Thai English teachers are fluent, which results in the remainder teaching flawed English, and winding up doing more harm than good.

Edited by brahmburgers

As for education. Does he plan to enable Thai nationals to teach English on TV? I hope not. From what I've heard, both through the grapevine and from 1st hand reports from students, Thais teaching English doesn't work. Simple reason; very few Thai English teachers are fluent, which results in the remainder teaching flawed English, and winding up doing more harm than good.

Maybe Thaksin will be teaching English himself. :)

Maybe Thaksin will be teaching English himself. :)

I never put a 'cheesy' laughing logo on before, so just wanted to try....

Yea, Thaksin could start his first English lesson explaining, "The UN is not my father" :D

and his 2nd 'World Affairs' program could be titled, "How To Lie to the Judiciary and Avoid Responsibility"

Other special programs that Mr. T could put together for his new educational TV channels:

>>>> How to Avoid Paying Any Corporate Taxes

>>>> Impress Poor People By Promising To Give Them Money

>>>> Impress Leaders of Small Countries By Promising To Make Them Rich

>>>> How to Circumvent the Law

>>>> How To Hide Assets Overseas

>>>> Hiding Assets by Using Hired Help

>>>> Hide Assets - Using And Endangering Your Own Children

>>>> How to Sneak Valuables Out of Thailand

>>>> How to Brew Violence and Riots From Afar - The Ultimate Power Trip

The program: 'How to Sway the Judiciary with Boxes or Donuts' is still under development.

Edited by brahmburgers

I undestand the plan was to provide tutorial lessons ala Siam Square schools. You don't need a teacher present for those courses, many of them are already taught via videos, you can broadcast them nationwide, no problem. Kids will study for free as opposed to paying money to watch the same video lessons at expensive schools.

There are several drawbacks, though. First, those are cramming schools, they don't have anything to do with education, they just prep students to pass very specific exams. Second, for most people self-study is not an option. Without any external pressure of tuition fees and schedules and attendance records they can't be arsed to study anything, especially kids. Another reason to go to tutorial schools is to meet friends and be part of the "in" crowd. You don't get that at home.

Everything Mr T does is to keep himself in the limelight in the forlorn hope he will regain his power & seized funds, pure & simple. He & anyone who lives in Thailand knows what short memory spans people have & if his image was to slip from view then he would soon be forgotten.

Koo & others may have sincere motives for their red leanings & some of their ideas are very laudable but why do they need Mr T to achieve this? If the reds were to publicy drop him & have no further association with him they would garner more support. They would also need to strictly follow their professed ideologies & do away with all the hidden agenda & ulterior motives.

Previous governments led & sponsored by Mr T took policy corruption to the highest level ever seen in this country & money spent on improving the lives of ordinary citizens was a pittance compared to what they plundered. If the lives of the ordinary citizen was so much improved how come the average household debt rose dramtically during Mr T's reign?

I do not necessarily disagree with the initiatives which were put in place but the implementation & administration was always suspect & provided a great front for certain groups to reap huge profits.

Everything Mr T does is to keep himself in the limelight in the forlorn hope he will regain his power & seized funds, pure & simple. He & anyone who lives in Thailand knows what short memory spans people have & if his image was to slip from view then he would soon be forgotten.

Koo & others may have sincere motives for their red leanings & some of their ideas are very laudable but why do they need Mr T to achieve this? If the reds were to publicy drop him & have no further association with him they would garner more support. They would also need to strictly follow their professed ideologies & do away with all the hidden agenda & ulterior motives.

Previous governments led & sponsored by Mr T took policy corruption to the highest level ever seen in this country & money spent on improving the lives of ordinary citizens was a pittance compared to what they plundered. If the lives of the ordinary citizen was so much improved how come the average household debt rose dramtically during Mr T's reign?

I do not necessarily disagree with the initiatives which were put in place but the implementation & administration was always suspect & provided a great front for certain groups to reap huge profits.

This is the problem I have with the red arguement. You cannot claim to be pro-democracy and then support the biggest human rights abuser Thailand has seen in decades. Formal equality in the eyes of the law, right to trial and innocence until proven guilty are cornerstones of democracy. By hitching to the populist coattails of Thaksin the pro-demcracy groups undermine their own principles. A more principled stand would be to call for more democracy, changes to constitution and for Thaksin to stand trial especially for the very undemocratic abuses he oversaw and instituted that he hasnt been charged with. After all in a demcoracy everyone is equal in the eyes of the law and also not above whether that be a poor farmer or an incredibly rich and popular ex-PM.

I will add this is not to say support yellows either. The current attempt to reduce it to a super simplistic red or yellow will do nothing for the betterment of real democracy but suits powerful people and is easy to conduct simplistic but high tech savvy PR campaigns around.

you (and countless others on this forum ) have obviously never seen the ten Thai national educational channels DLTV 1-10 on True

otherwise you would know where Thickskin stole the idea from

So it is!

It's his signature, copy something, blow it up, make it BIG and sell it to the voters!

As he is no government official anymore, what is his business with education and especially OTOP?

Wonder if there is no law that prohibits criminal fugitives to "educate" and run state sponsored agencies. :)

He starts his election campaign rather early and his popularity PR program is in full swing,

the "birthday party celebrations" was just part of the fight to remain popular and not to be forgotten!

and then "one billion" might be the whole figure for the 100 channels runnin'...

he just loves to blow things out of proportion, so he looks really big - a small mans neurosis!

But then the current government just released it's free and compulsory education program which

will cover the next 15 years!

What does he want to "give away"?

Edited by Samuian