Digital Or Satellite Radio

richb2004

Is Digital Radio available in Thailand?

I’m fairly sure the answer is no. However I’m not sure. I have seen Dab radios advertised in a few Thai magazines recently, and therefore made the assumption that Digital transmission must be available. I brought my DAB Radio back from UK recently and found that it picked up absolutely nothing. Is it possible that a product would be advertised that doesn’t actually function in Thailand?

If it is not then I am considering satellite radio. Does anyone have experience of satellite radio, and if so where do I get one and for how much?

Is Digital Radio available in Thailand?

I’m fairly sure the answer is no. However I’m not sure. I have seen Dab radios advertised in a few Thai magazines recently, and therefore made the assumption that Digital transmission must be available. I brought my DAB Radio back from UK recently and found that it picked up absolutely nothing. Is it possible that a product would be advertised that doesn’t actually function in Thailand?

If it is not then I am considering satellite radio. Does anyone have experience of satellite radio, and if so where do I get one and for how much?

Hi there,

no DAB yet available in Thailand. The PRD has done test transmissions already some time ago.

best regards

Many radio stations broadcast in digital from satellite.

The most simplest solution would be UBC, they currently have 10 stations:

1. FM 92.5

2. Love FM 94.5

3. Love Channel

4. Channel V FM

5. Looktung RakThai

6. Jor Sor 100

7. FM 101

8. Get 102.5

9. FM 103.5

10. ETV Radio

I doubt you'd be interested in that alone, fortunately these stations should be starting any day now:

1. Smooth Jazz

2. Adult Contmporary

3.Dance

4. Rock and Roll Oldies

5.Love Songs

6. Beautiful Instrumentals

7. UK Hits

8. Euro Hits

9. Rat pack

10. Operas

11. Arias and Overtures

12. Classic R&B

13. Lite Classical

14. Soft Hits

15. Contemporary Instrumentals

16. Childrens

17. 70s Hits

18. Piano

19. Retro Disco

20. 80s Hits

Which I think is more like what you're looking for.

If you're a bit of an enthusiast, then investing in a larger motorized system will bring you many more stations from different satellites, you also get the benefit of extra tv channels too.

I think this is your only solution for digital radio in Thailand.

Edited by konangrit

You can get digital radio via satellite. Many free channels but if you want the lot there is a subscription fee of US$10 per month.

Mainly music but also BBC, CNN Fox and talkSPORT from UK.

The receiver is around US$100. It's a small portable with a very small dish antenna. The antenna comes with an extension cable and needs to be outside, directed towards the satellite.

Buy a receiver in Thailand at:

Radio 100

1/20 Viset Road,Moo 9

Chalong Bay

Phuket 83130

Thailand

Telephone:+66 (0)76 - 280 769

Fax: +66 (0)76 - 330 869

www.radio-hundred.com

Mediasat Co. Ltd.

Worldradioshop Thailand

Kata Big Rock

20 Soi Patak 2, Patak Rd.

T. Karon, Muang, Phuket 83100

Thailand

Tel.: ++66 (0) 1 606 31 43

Fax: ++66 (0) 76 333 213

E-Fax: ++1 419 821 25 14

[email protected]

www.worldradioshop.com

For more info and programming guide check:

http://www.worldspace.com/about/index.html

• 3 months later...

OK, so a relative back home has just sent me a Satellite Radio Receiver as a present. It's an "xm2go", very cute and all, but ... I can't get it to pick up a signal. I've tried it indoors and out, pointing the antenna-thingy every which direction.

Anyone have any ideas?

From the the WorldSpace website http://www.worldspace.com/howitworks/index.html,

Inside each WorldSpace Satellite Radio digital audio receiver is a proprietary chipset designed to lock into the WorldSpace satellite signal in your region of the world.

Thanks zzz for the information on WorldSpace. Do you have the setup? If so, what does the receiver and antenna cost in Bangkok?

Edited by melus