Another Successful And Speedy Trip To Suan Plu

Today I went with two people to shepherd them thru their yearly extensions based on retirement. Got there at 7:40AM, was about 20th in line outside, mostly young people and businessmen. After the Thai National Anthem they let us in to get our queue tickets. The girl at queue ticket booth didn't want to give me two numbers at first but finally relented when I pointed out the two people I was with. Luckily I got numbers 1 and 2 (really number 2 and 3 because they start with number 0).

There was a little delay in opening the non-business visa side of room 101 because of the new camera, electronic fingerprint dealy they are now doing. Setting up the tripods, digital cameras and the scanners for fingerprints took some time. I don't know why they don't leave them set up on the desks all the time, (maybe the building isn't as secure as one would imagine). They finally started calling numbers at about 8:45. Both people sailed thru with their paperwork pre-filled out, photos glued on, correct copies signed, etc. Also (while technically not a required document) both people had their health certificates taken by the Immigrations Officers (Well worth the 120baht to get them).

They did have some problems with the program which was linked to the digital cameras, and one woman; evidently the trainer of the new program, was running madly from desk to desk to sort out the issues which came up. I think it is more unfamiliarity with the program rather than poorly designed software. The form they print is another T.M.-7 with the photo they took of you already attached.

I had given the two people copies of the 3 ‘extra’ forms they give you after they are sure they’re going to issue you a visa (I mentioned these forms in another post). They are; the one about understanding of the terms of your visa, the one about the financial requirements if you use the bank deposit method for funds, and the self guarantee one. (Immigrations officials seemed to get a kick out of someone actually having them already.)

Before they two people were finished in Room 101, I went out and got them queue numbers for their reentry permits, and by the time they finished up getting their yearly extensions the numbers for their re-entry permits were being called. One of the guys also was within a week of his 90 day reporting, so he did that as well.

I think this new fingerprint, photo deal they are doing will eventually speed up, as the staff gets more used to the drop down menu fields that need to be filled out.

I will say again for the record; IMHO, what slows Suan Plu place down is the incredibly stupid questions asked at the queue ticket counter, the use of the wrong forms, the wrong copies, no photos, and the mind-wobbling sense of entitlement some foreigners display when dealing with Thai Immigration Officials. Today I saw one man bang his fist down onto an officer’s desk and speak to her in quite a loud voice. (I had to smile to myself when I noticed he was sent away for 'more documentation'.)

Anyone who has even the slightest control over your ability to remain here should always be treated deferentially and ultra-politely (even if it's just an act on your part.)