Stolen Laptop

thaiowl

My Acer Netbook and wallet were stolen from Au Bon Pain in All Seasons Place last Thursday. This appeared to be the work of a gang because while I was in Lumpini police station, a woman came in to report her laptop had been stolen from Starbucks Central Chidlom.

My wallet (minus cash but credit/ATM cards in tact) was subsequently found on Petchburi Road so I uspect the thieves were going to sell the laptops at Panthip. If anyone spots a 5-month 2nd hand Acer Aspire One netbook for sale in Panthip, can they PM me.

My son's Acer laptop was stolen at gunpoint last year.

Fortunately, he was not hurt AND

Acer provides insurance at no charge to all Acer laptops with warranty.

It took us 6 months to collect from Acer Insurance but we got

a check for 30,000B after showing the police reports two different

times.

You should be covered.

If anyone spots a 5-month 2nd hand Acer Aspire One netbook for sale in Panthip, can they PM me.

Sorry to hear your story, but there must be hundreds of second hand notebooks inc Acer in Panthip. Be interested if it is covered by insurance for such, as alluded to in previous post, as surely the premiums must be high in such economic times?

Thx for the report

How were they able to steal the laptop? Did you leave it unattended and for how long?

I shall be even more vigilant now. I mean my laptop is always with me - hard to steal that way...

My son's Acer laptop was stolen at gunpoint last year.

Fortunately, he was not hurt AND

Acer provides insurance at no charge to all Acer laptops with warranty.

It took us 6 months to collect from Acer Insurance but we got

a check for 30,000B after showing the police reports two different

times.

You should be covered.

I contacted Acer and they confirmed my net book is insured through Bangkok Insurance. I have sent off the various documents (including the police report). Let's see if they pay out.

Thx for the report

How were they able to steal the laptop? Did you leave it unattended and for how long?

I shall be even more vigilant now. I mean my laptop is always with me - hard to steal that way...

I met a friend and put my bag on the chair next to me. I went for a cup of coffee an asked my friend if he wanted one. He didn't reply. While I was being served, my friend decided he wanted a coffee and (rather naively) left my bag unattended. When we prepared to leave the coffee shop, we found my bag had been replaced with a similar one. A review of the securitiy cameras didn't reveal anything because only one of two exits was monitored by cameras.

Before my bag was stolen, I noticed a group of 6 or 7 people outside, having a chat and looking at a laptop. I suspect I was their "mark".

The policeman who attended the scene said it could be a Vietnamese or Filippino gang...can't be locals of course!

Thus is the first time anything like this has happened to me in my 20 years in the country.

If anyone spots a 5-month 2nd hand Acer Aspire One netbook for sale in Panthip, can they PM me.

Sorry to hear your story, but there must be hundreds of second hand notebooks inc Acer in Panthip. Be interested if it is covered by insurance for such, as alluded to in previous post, as surely the premiums must be high in such economic times?

It is insured by Acer via Bangkok Insurance. I'll let you know if I get paid out. There can't be too many second hand netbooks (5 months old) in Panthip.

It is insured by Acer via Bangkok Insurance. I'll let you know if I get paid out. There can't be too many second hand netbooks (5 months old) in Panthip.

You are likely to have to work to get the insurance reimbursement due you.

The insurance company dragged their feet for a long time with our claim.

My son would go to the insurance office almost every week and at one point wanted to give up

as Thai nature is not agressive or assertive. When I explained to him the idea that "the squeaky wheel

gets the grease" AND that it was my 30,000B, he kept going and providing them with all their requests.

As I said, it took some 6 months before they saw that we would not go away without our money.

Maybe it will be easier for you.

Good luck

Edited by paulfr