Thai Tv: It It Really As Bad As I Think.

Richb2004v2

It is as bad as I think.

As I sit typing this, in the back ground my wife is watching a soap in which two high so girls are fighting each other on the ground in slow motion to a soundtrack of evil music. I must have seen this scene in every one of these soaps that I've had the misfortune to see. Oh dear, now the evil high so girl is saying something to camera with a pantomime treacherous look on her face whilst the music gets darker and the camera slowly pans in on her face.

I can't take it anymore. I'm going to go and jump off the balcony. :)

It's bad! The five S's: shouting, screaming, slapping, stabbing and shooting.

It is as bad as I think.

As I sit typing this, in the back ground my wife is watching a soap in which two high so girls are fighting each other on the ground in slow motion to a soundtrack of evil music. I must have seen this scene in every one of these soaps that I've had the misfortune to see. Oh dear, now the evil high so girl is saying something to camera with a pantomime treacherous look on her face whilst the music gets darker and the camera slowly pans in on her face.

I can't take it anymore. I'm going to go and jump off the balcony. :D

Thought, you are an intellectual...? :)

I love Thai food more than every other food on the planet, but for unknown reason I can't eat Gaeng Som...

...in other words: Ignore Thai TV.

I did that since more than 2 decades, and I certainly will not watch it in the near future...but I don't know a better place than here...

comprende?

You know its terrible

The news is awful, terrible journalism, huge bias and hardly ANY international news unless youve got UBC

The soap operas.. well i dont speak much Thai but the story is almost always the same. Rich family, spoilt nasty rich bitch, nasty young guy who beats up the nicer young Thai chick, LOTS AND LOTS of SCREAMING and CRYING. Storm in a tea cup, next day everyone's friends again. Rich guy with a mia-noi, older wife is jealous of younger wife who does something to stitch her up. Younger nice guy actually cant be with the nice girl because family dont like it since it doesnt suit someone for some reason. Everyone sucking up to someone else. All fake, ugly shallow characters and boring predictable storylines with the same rubbish repetitive theme tune that drives me CRAZY. Every episode is almost identical apart from some minor detail like the setting etc.

Comedy... Fat ugly "katoy kwai" screeching, acting like a <deleted>, trips on a banana skin and falls on a bucket of water.BOING!. HILLAROUS! Nearly as funny as Mr Bean which I loved so much when I was 12!

Maybe im missing something!

Thai TV does my head in, to much noise even if you turn the volume down. There soaps are worse then ours by the looks of them, and ours are terrible as well. I cant be in the same room when my wife is watching them. but I have to admit, some of the TV starlets are cute :)

I normaly go upstairs and watch Discovery or History Channel. failing that, then I hang out on Thai Visa.

I just read that sentence! and realised how boring my life is :D I am going to find a hobby.

Thai TV would be ok if they took OFF the bald headed freak with big ears teaching them English :):D

Yeah. Does come across rather goofy.

There is also this elderly Australian woman interviewer.

Sometimes she hosts a sort of talk show.

She is so polite and kiss ass to her Thai guests that it makes me want to vomit.

And what about that Australian woman who makes a sad attempt at translating the Thai news on channel 3.

Never seen but only heard, it seems as if someone is prodding her up the backside with a hot poker so as to keep her awake.

Thai TV does my head in, to much noise even if you turn the volume down. There soaps are worse then ours by the looks of them, and ours are terrible as well. I cant be in the same room when my wife is watching them. but I have to admit, some of the TV starlets are cute :D

I normaly go upstairs and watch Discovery or History Channel. failing that, then I hang out on Thai Visa.

I just read that sentence! and realised how boring my life is :D I am going to find a hobby.

:)

Quality mate.

There is also this elderly Australian woman interviewer.

She is so polite and kiss ass to her Thai guests that it makes me want to vomit.

Her name's Jaye Walton - there's an interview with her here: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...5008583,00.html

Sometimes she hosts a sort of talk show.

Thai Oz Talk.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

I just can't decide if Thai TV is as terrible as I think it is, or am I genuinely missing something? I do not speak anywhere enough of the language to pick up what is being said so there is every possibility that what's being said is not as mindless as it seems. I could be being overly hard on the Thais.

Recently I have been spending a lot of time around the Tv in the evening than usual. The vast majority of the programs seem to be abysmal looking game shows and celebrity chat shows. A lot of these shows are fronted by or include the same group of a few Thais, including a small chubby boy/man, a middle aged transvestite, a spiky haired bloke and various high so type women and mop topped youths. Then of course we have the ever present 'boing' noise and play back loops (covered by me before). This is accompanied by pointless censorship and pixilation of all kinds of things, including cartoons.

I have recently seen several Japanese and Korean game shows dubbed into Thai, which seems totally ridiculous to me. Plus the dubbing is in the most irritating voice that I don't even think is normal for Thais.

But I am beginning to question if I am right. I am sure that it is generally poor, but is it really as terrible as I think? Last Saturday I found myself aghast at what seemed to be a quite pathetic singing show/contest. I thought that this was particularly bad for a Saturday evenings entertainment. But then I realized that at home in the UK the same format show, of 'Pop Idol' was probably been shown. And celebrity seems to be an obsession all over the world.

I also get in a twist at the number of transvestite and mincing gays included in almost every show, but again my home country, the Uk, has plenty of them included in TV shows. Don't take offense at this. I just find it annoying that they seem to be a requirement on every show.

A lot of the late evening shows here seem to me to be basically kid's style shows seemingly watched by adults. But I have seen one or two shows with some interesting content, but again in a childish format. I saw a program a few evenings ago at around 9pm all about ostriches farmed in Thailand. It did seem to be in a childish format and at a strange time of night though, but it was at least a little but interesting. And there are wildlife programs on quite often.

Lately there seems to be a nightly airing of propaganda on a subject I had best not mention. This I also find appalling.

I know this topic has been mentioned before, even by me, but I am interested in if I am being too critical and what others really think.

Do you feel your brain shrinking, hurting right behind the eyes, followed by a numbness? THEN YES YOU UNDERSTAND ENOUGH THAI!

That's your brains circuit breaker trying to switch off.

If you actually start laughing at the show and find it genuinely funny...it's too late for you.

There was a mini-series/soap opera that was on a few weeks ago called Jaew Jai Rai Kub Khun Chai Taewada/แจ๋วใจร้ายกับคุณชายเทวดา, which translates as Jaew the cruel/vicious and Mr Chai Taewada. Ok, so the plot does revolve around a far-fetched plan to steal an inheritence, and there are a lot of "panning in on the evil character to show her cunning expression as she formulates yet another dastardly plan, accompanied by evil sounding music" shots, but the sound effects are minimal and I think there's some good humour too. All the Thai women in my town were absolutely glued to it, and I'm sure many of you will have seen parts of it, whether you realise it or not. Anyone who's interested watch it at the following link, where someone's gone to the trouble of adding English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpicyFansubs

It was the first Thai show I ever watched and I rthink I learnt a lot about Thai society by watching it (although it's probably like a foreigner thinking they have gained an insight into British society by watching Footballer's Wives). Are the hi-so people really so plotting and devious? Are the servants and company employees really so fawning and obsequious in real life as on this show? Are the hi-so really so spoilt nd arrogant?

Actually, there was a VCD full of short films which was quite good. I saw it on a long-distance bus, of all places. After already resigning myself to 5 hours of karaoke and sound-effect comedy shows it came as a nice surprise. One was about a woman who goes to a deserted island for a day out, but is betrayed by the boatman who takes all her money and mobile and aboandons her. As it turns out, the island isn't deserted, but has two men, a hi-so looking one and a more Malay looking one.

The other one I remember was a short film about a young wife who loses a child and, as a result of either grief or some kind of desease (alziemers?) begins to lose her memory and grip on reality. Her husband, who still obviously loves his wife very much and is grieving from the loss of their child as well, then goes on a very touching mission to try to bring his wife back to reality and recover her memory, culminating in taking her to the beach where he proposed to her. After a brief moment of hope when it seems that this has jogged her memory and maybe brought her back back from the brink of insanty, she goes of on a tangent and he realises that it hasn't worked. Very sad and touching, with no sound effects and completely different from anything else I've watch in Thailand. Does anybody recognise this VCD - I'd like to know the name so that I can buy it.

Actually, there was a VCD full of short films which was quite good. I saw it on a long-distance bus, of all places. After already resigning myself to 5 hours of karaoke and sound-effect comedy shows it came as a nice surprise. One was about a woman who goes to a deserted island for a day out, but is betrayed by the boatman who takes all her money and mobile and aboandons her. As it turns out, the island isn't deserted, but has two men, a hi-so looking one and a more Malay looking one.

The other one I remember was a short film about a young wife who loses a child and, as a result of either grief or some kind of desease (alziemers?) begins to lose her memory and grip on reality. Her husband, who still obviously loves his wife very much and is grieving from the loss of their child as well, then goes on a very touching mission to try to bring his wife back to reality and recover her memory, culminating in taking her to the beach where he proposed to her. After a brief moment of hope when it seems that this has jogged her memory and maybe brought her back back from the brink of insanty, she goes of on a tangent and he realises that it hasn't worked. Very sad and touching, with no sound effects and completely different from anything else I've watch in Thailand. Does anybody recognise this VCD - I'd like to know the name so that I can buy it.

That sounds like it might have been entertaining. I can't imagine it was very popular in Thailand.

I might be "hammered" for this.

But I think commenting on another country's (culture) way of entertain themself is a bit arrogant really.

Just because we don't understand it, or like it, does not make it stupid, or bad.

Of course, the vast majority of the programs on the television here are not "my cup of tea", and I really do not understand the value of them.

But nevertheless, I easily accept the fact that this type of tv and entertainment has it's value to the majority of the country that i am visiting.

But I think commenting on another country's (culture) way of entertain themself is a bit arrogant really.

Just because we don't understand it, or like it, does not make it stupid, or bad.

Of course, the vast majority of the programs on the television here are not "my cup of tea", and I really do not understand the value of them.

But nevertheless, I easily accept the fact that this type of tv and entertainment has it's value to the majority of the country that i am visiting.

Just our opinions dude. How's that for a hammering?

I don't think it's good for the young kids watching the five S's. As I said in a previous post, but here's a reminder: shouting, screaming, slapping, stabbing and shooting. Definately not good IMO.

I don't think it's good for the young kids watching the five S's. As I said in a previous post, but here's a reminder: shouting, screaming, slapping, stabbing and shooting. Definately not good IMO.

Thanx for not shooting me down.

I think the television here kind of try to immitate a lot of what we have in the "western" part of the world.

I recognize the simularity of most of the shows from Europe, USA and Aus.

But one can only immitate so much, so one needs to make it the way the locals like it.

Thanx for not shooting me down.

I think the television here kind of try to immitate a lot of what we have in the "western" part of the world.

I recognize the simularity of most of the shows from Europe, USA and Aus.

But one can only immitate so much, so one needs to make it the way the locals like it.

No worries. I think your right there. I think all T.V is immitated, that is programmes have a format like the gameshows. Obviously the Thais love it. I've yet to see a Thai knock it. I knock it/don't watch it because it's so over top. Just an opinion.

A few months ago my wife was watching an episode of Mr Bean with her mother.

In one scene that takes place in an arcade (Mind the Baby Mr Bean) Mr Bean is seen pulling a coat over the head of a child and spinning the boy round making the child dizzy.

My mother in law was absolutely appalled by this, saying what a horrible thing to do, whereas I thought this was hilarious.

Even though my wife speaks English, she cannot understand the sort of humour as depicted in old British Ealing comedy films and classics like Steptoe & Son or Only Fools & Horses.

With the Thai soaps, I find them boring because I am not able relate to them or any of the characters in the programme.

As an Englishman from London, I even find it difficult to laugh at the American sense of humour, especially the sitcoms and again it is because I can’t relate to them.

So maybe if we had been born and breed in Thailand, than we would have had more appreciation for Thai TV.

The old saying: East is East and West is West, never the twain shall meet.

Perhaps this is one good reason for the Thai Governments policy of limiting the numbers of Farangs that are permitted to settle in Thailand, as the huge differences in cultures and attitudes as too great for these to coexist in harmony.

NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET:

post-11344-1248947381_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1248947398_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

I think commenting on another country's (culture) way of entertain themself is a bit arrogant really.

Er, seems to be some sort of cognitive dissonance here....

I think commenting on another country's (culture) way of entertain themself is a bit arrogant really.

Er, seems to be some sort of cognitive dissonance here....

Hi there

Not 100% sure what cognitive dissonance means.

I guess it means that I am contradicting myself, or something like that?

Anyhow, i think you took the 2nd para (in your quote) out of the context.

I concluded with accepting the fact that I have no say, since Im a visitor here, and do not totally understand what is funny or interesting (or not).

I can understand the Thai audiences lapping up the slapstick comedy genre because I wouldn't expect them to find stuff I find amusing like like Borat, The League Of Gentlemen or Alan Partridge funny. That's a cultural thing for sure. But I have to say in my humble opinion Thai Lakorn shows make Eastenders look like Citizen Kane. Utter brainless pap.

When I first came to Thailand 15 years ago there was a soapie on that the whole nation used to stop and watch. It was about a woman whose husband was in the navy and away all the time and she was bored and lonely and living with his parents in their shop with her baby boy. She started stealing money from the till, went out drinking, sleeping around and got into drugs. Her husband throws her out. She has other children by different men, she gets sick, her son becomes a monk and in the end is the only one looking afer her as she has AIDS and then dies. Every night at 6:00p.m. (if I remember rightly) every TV was tuned into this soapie.

Yes, I watched it, really no choice in the matter - and I didn't even speak Thai then.

I also watched the Thai folk story of Chalawan "Crocodile Man" - on land a man, in the water a croc but he lived in an underwater cave - as a man - and came and took a beautiful woman there, and then it begins. My Thai boyfriends family thought it was funny that I liked it and the nieces and nephews used to come and get me when it was on so I could watch with them.