Zig-zag Scam Exposed On Oz Tv.

PeeKay

The zig zag scam at 'Bumi' was covered in the Channel 7, Sunrise program this morning.

So it's making it's way around the world, consolidating opinion and warnings about shopping at the airport.

In addition to this, the TV presenters aksed for anyone 'stung' in other ways to send them updates.

People can check it all out at and email them via the following:

yahoo7.com.au/sunrise

PK

This zig-zag story has been around for several weeks now, plenty of time for the government to sort it out, and try to restore some confidence to the seriously ailing tourist market.

Yet nothing has been done. In the meantime, this story continues to find it's way around the globe, putting off even more potential tourists.

What is it going to take, before this problem is publicly sorted out, once and for all?

A 100% drop in tourists?

Truly shameful.

Are you referring to this story?

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/sunrise/30...ag-tourist-trap

It seems to primarily refer to the King Power case where CCTV footage was later released showing the couple stealing the wallet.

And the woman who was caught walking out of the bar with a bar mat in her bag...

IMHO stealing is stealing; dance with the devil you're gonna get burnt. Hopefully they'll be scared straight after they'll little encounters in Thailand.

Maybe admins should close this thread and link it into the thread about the king power case.

Edited by dave111223

It seems to primarily refer to the King Power case where CCTV footage was later released showing the couple stealing the wallet.

And the woman who was caught walking out of the bar with a bar mat in her bag...

IMHO stealing is stealing; dance with the devil you're gonna get burnt. Hopefully they'll be scared straight after they'll little encounters in Thailand.

Maybe admins should close this thread and link it into the thread about the king power case.

Even if those people are guilty of shoplifting, it's problematic for airport police to be allowed to shakedown suspects for huge bribes in return for their release.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Take a look at the Drummond website.

Even if those people are guilty of shoplifting, it's problematic for airport police to be allowed to shakedown suspects for huge bribes in return for their release.

They were perfectly free to miss their flight and stand trial for theft, like they should have been forced to.

The problem I have with the video is that the clothing does not match what either person arrested was wearing according to reports I have read - and no mention of finding the clothing in trash bins or baggage (although the wallet was reported found in bin).

That a theft occurred is probably true. But see no real proof these persons were even involved. Sure; it could have happened - but changing and no mention of finding them sure gives me pause to accept the official version(s). Or have I missed the relevant posts by chance (have not followed that closely)?

They were perfectly free to miss their flight and stand trial for theft, like they should have been forced to.

You Thailand applogists never cease to amaze me.

If KP wasn't in on the scam, you would think that they'd be troubled that none of their shoplifting cases go to trial, that everyone that gets caught gets set free.

If KP wasn't in on the scam, you would think that they'd be troubled that none of their shoplifting cases go to trial, that everyone that gets caught gets set free.

Hey, I think it's wrong that shoplifters are allowed to bribe their way free instead of standing trial. They should be forced to stand trial instead of being allowed to go home.

I find it "amazing" that Thai business executives, ministers and other government officials just stick their collective heads in the sand and wait for this to go away. Everyone recognizes that King Power's rise to mega prominence at Suvarnabhumi was through old crony relationships, corruption and just plain luck. In any developed country King Power would have been thrown out of the airport and the board of directors prosecuted for the land grab and for a non-transparent contract.

The continuing criminal enterprise that is King Power can only exist with the cooperation of the government in place. A simple investigation involving forensic accounts would uncover gross violations of Thai law.

It seems everyone is waiting for the news cycle to pass and it will be business as usual. In China they have made some examples of officials and business enterprise owners for open corruption. I think several have received the death penalty after a public trial. Seems like a deterrent for corruption to me.

Yet they have signed letters from both police and immigration stating that there is no evidence against them and they are free to leave. :)

Drummond website?

Drummond website?

Andrew Drummond has made a career of reporting evil doings. His latest / biggest campaign is Thailand.

Edited by Curt1591

Hey, I think it's wrong that shoplifters are allowed to bribe their way free instead of standing trial. They should be forced to stand trial instead of being allowed to go home.

I bet if they spent just one night in the Bangkok Hilton they'd gladly beg to pay double the amount that they were 'stung' for in order to be allowed to go home.

Drummond website?

Sorry. Thought there was a rule about posting the address

www.andrew-drummond.com

Drummond website?

Andrew Drummond has made a career of reporting evil doings. His latest / biggest campaign is Thailand.

So !!

He is an investigative journalist working in Thailand.

What he is or the career he has is immaterial. What is interesting is the news he is reporting on his website and not from his own sources I might add. This story and the facts now emerging is still hitting the press outside of thailand particularly Australia. Check it out.

I find it "amazing" that Thai business executives, ministers and other government officials just stick their collective heads in the sand and wait for this to go away. Everyone recognizes that King Power's rise to mega prominence at Suvarnabhumi was through old crony relationships, corruption and just plain luck. In any developed country King Power would have been thrown out of the airport and the board of directors prosecuted for the land grab and for a non-transparent contract.

The continuing criminal enterprise that is King Power can only exist with the cooperation of the government in place. A simple investigation involving forensic accounts would uncover gross violations of Thai law.

It seems everyone is waiting for the news cycle to pass and it will be business as usual. In China they have made some examples of officials and business enterprise owners for open corruption. I think several have received the death penalty after a public trial. Seems like a deterrent for corruption to me.

This is the most worrying sign.

We have all heard of the ruby scams etc. But when the police spirit you away and demand payment apparently with no solid proof, the government should see this as a very serious issue for the good of the tourism industry.

As you said, they are sticking their heads in the sand whilst the story gains more and more legs.

I bet if they spent just one night in the Bangkok Hilton they'd gladly beg to pay double the amount that they were 'stung' for in order to be allowed to go home.

The amount that they'd be willing to pay is not the point, the point is that its a problem that they were able to make direct payment to the police instead of to the courts. I know that that sort of thing is not uncommon in Thailand, but that fact that it is implicitly considered to be acceptable by Thais and farang expats alike means that police have a real incentive to bust foreigners on trumped up charges. Sure, I'd probably pay a million baht if I thought that it would allow me to avoid sitting in a Thai jail for a year awaiting trail (regardless of whether I was guilty), but that doesn't make it right nor something to excuse just because worse things happen elsewhere and that we all love Thailand.

Edited by OriginalPoster