Laying Down The Law

soundman

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

Great night out no booze, no one to sing with should be a hit with everyone wanting to spend a night out

MUPPETS

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....If they really want to stop prostitution or look at other much more serious issues, then start looking at developing true employment opportunities and a real education system that allows people to think. Oh, but then a population that can think for itself is a much harder to control entity and if we decrease our overpopulation of poor people it means we can not exploit them as much and have to start paying more realistic wages! Gosh when are these rich, controlling elite here going to change? Guess there is no incentive for them to change so they will continue to waste time on relatively nonsense issues and continue to let Thailand drift along while they continue to make huge wads of cash and implement the strategies that will continue to make the elite even more powerful.

This is what the country needs. :D Good on ya politicians! :D Why don't you all give yourself a raise! :)

What you say is very true, Thailand allowed/encouraged it's daughters into being prostitutes to the world as the elites saw it as the easy option. The poor would still make money and be happy, yet stay ignorant and compliant. Let alone those at the top of the food chain that did quite nicely.

To now pretend to complain about it, without correcting the initial problems nor offering new solutions is an exercise in abject hypocrisy, albeit still the most popular form of exercise here.

At least we do sth. Those who are not happy, just go back to your homes. Simple!

yeah great idea send all foreigner home if they don't like the crazy laws here,maipenrai about the 1million thaipeople who will loese the job,if the foreigner goes home,u sound very smart i assume u belong to the current government

Oddly enough several generations of Thai prostitutes catering the the non-thai market,

inadvertently learned MUCH more about the world than intended, and passed that on to their children.

And unintended consequence being an education in the ways of others in the world outside of Thailand,

with which to compare their own lot. And their lot in certain pertinent ways came up wanting.

okay next let's ban walking street.

I certainly hope that cinemas will enforce the film ratings. I recall watching the last Rambo film with a Thai family sitting behind me with a young child (4 or 5 years old) clearly very distraught (crying screaming etc) during some scenes that no child of that age should see.

The karaoke thing is a huge double standard, why crack down on that and turn a blind eye to massage parlours and go go bars?

I certainly hope that cinemas will enforce the film ratings. I recall watching the last Rambo film with a Thai family sitting behind me with a young child (4 or 5 years old) clearly very distraught (crying screaming etc) during some scenes that no child of that age should see.

The karaoke thing is a huge double standard, why crack down on that and turn a blind eye to massage parlours and go go bars?

Don`t worry, the massage parlours and bars will be next, trust me on that one.

They are already clamping down on girls touting outside of Karaoke and beer bars. This could be the end of: Hello Welcome.

This is going to put many people out of work and create more poverty during this world wide economic crisis.

Girls that have supported themselves and their families by selling their bodies are going to have to find other means of earning income.

The sex industry will probably move behind closed doors and will not be available to tourists and those who are not in the know.

It's temporary and cyclical. It gets some press, it gets enforced for August,

and then back in normal harness, but the occasional envelope gets passed

and BiB stay happy.

It just draws the veil a bit for the tourist mothers from the west,

and when they are gone it edges out to the sidewalks again.

Not one giant cash cow soapy will be affected, only street level

hawking, not the real profit centers...

and when the little dogs are kicked into the alley,

the big dogs will feast on the meat left about the place.

i'm sorry, am I missing something here? They are going to regulate adults singing, but allow children to waste their time infront of a monitor or tv screen? Whether it's something that can be enforced or not, how freakin' stupid, and who comes up with this stuff? Talk about losing face, who wants to put their face on this act of ignoramitousness? (I made that up) It's so much better to have our kids being non-constructive and out of the way, and 6 hours a day, gives mom and dad more time to not be parenting. :)

Amazing! Singing is good for the soul. Why would anyone want to restrict it?

Putting a rating on movies is another matter. It's just falling in line with what we have in the West. It's useful and sensible to advise people what to expect in the way of possible disturbing material.

So typical of Thailand to identify Kareoke Parlors and computers as the source of their problems while the domestic terrorists that closed an International Airport for several days walk around Bangkok every day with big smiles on their faces.

"The karaoke thing is a huge double standard, why crack down on that and turn a blind eye to massage parlours and go go bars?"

Forgive me if someone's already pointed this out (haven't read all comments), but I think some of you guys might be approaching this the wrong way. Think like a Thai cop or MP: the problem with karaoke bars is that, prior to this new rule, there was nothing illegal about them, ergo no way to extract bribes. Once their main activity becomes illegal, that is carte blanche for authorities to "do business," as the cop put it to my taxi driver the other day.

Edited by faranginexile

Legally speaking, whats the difference between a karaoke bar and a gogo bar? I am guessing they may be the same thing, both bars that employ hostesses via an entertainment licence.

Maybe they just haven't mentioned yet that such a ban will also apply to gogo bars and the like too.

Seen some of those Karaoke bars advertising for female hosts with lines like...

"We'll pay for your bus fair from Chiangmai and accommodation in Bangkok"

Which just sounds like a way to enslave poor naive country girls into prostitution using Karaoke as cover. i.e. They arrive with a debt they can never seem to work off and find out the job description isn't quite what they thought it was. Its a very common practice in eastern block Europe, think they are answering a job for a nanny and end up across borders trapped in a brothel, very sad.

If the new laws shut down these types of slave traders it will be a good thing.

At least with a go-go bar the girls have some idea what they are getting themselves in for.

This will probably put a few people out of work. :)
The Cabinet has approved new regulations that prohibit karaoke parlours from providing drinking or singing partners to customers, with their business licences being revoked if they do.

THE BOYS at BKK THE BIG BROTHER What will they dream of next.

Probably because the Karaoke bars don't generate enough "Ngan thai thoa" for our friendly tumruad to skim off the top.

the new advertising campaign should be tagged:

Thailand! Burma with Electricity

THAT is funny.

i don't know the Thai's well enough to really comment, but the kind of comical stuff their interchangeable governments come up with is embarrassingly comical to the world outside of Thailand. my question to those of you who have lived in Thailand for a while: do many Thai's realize how mickey mouse their govt comes across, or is the Thai pride thing so ingrained that they just don't see it?

as i read this, all i can think is that this is the govt. cozying up more to the BiB. 'you want more money? no problem, we'll create some more ridiculous laws to give you a new avenue for tea money'.

i have spoken to many thais about world events, international image etc etc etc. Blank looks is my first impression. They dont get it. The ones I have spoken to are unable to comprehend their country as anything but near perfect. Recent events have certainly opened their eyes as the government has been advertising the fact on TV and told them to behave in a more buddist way.

A while back the family of my thai gf asked me about Taksin. I said he is corrupt and lies and steals from the Thai people and would be finished soon. They nearly fell over at my comments. 2 weeks later he was ousted. months after that all the facts about his dodgy dealing started to be aired. Still they didn't beleive it. Only now are they realising the damage he has caused Thailand. Thais are only just waking up to the world around them, but they lives are often so hard that they give little thought to what the world opinion might be. it's unlikely to effect their lives that much and if it does it was destined to happen so why worry about it.

Thailand is getting a wake up call (the recession), but it is probably beyond most people's comprehension (that is actually true for all delevoping countries and for the less educated in all other counties).

people either dont understand the ramifications or long term impact the recession will have on their lives.

The answer to your question is probably no, they dont realise how MM their government comes across, but no more than the average US or Brit citizen don't realises their countries are war mongers driven by greed in the name of fighting global terrorism.

I am British by the way and an Ex Mil Forces who fought in GW1 and has worked with UK and US military and private agencies and personnel in the ME.

Hello, I feel that the law will only be enforced at the internet shops before 2:00 pm so more children will go to school. It will be good for the BIB to make more "on the spot" fines as the new laws will not be watched close. It will be interesting to see if more movies will go to Thailand if the cinema management can keep out the younger people. Cheers.

the new advertising campaign should be tagged:

Thailand! Burma with Electricity

THAT is funny.

i don't know the Thai's well enough to really comment, but the kind of comical stuff their interchangeable governments come up with is embarrassingly comical to the world outside of Thailand. my question to those of you who have lived in Thailand for a while: do many Thai's realize how mickey mouse their govt comes across, or is the Thai pride thing so ingrained that they just don't see it?

as i read this, all i can think is that this is the govt. cozying up more to the BiB. 'you want more money? no problem, we'll create some more ridiculous laws to give you a new avenue for tea money'.

i have spoken to many thais about world events, international image etc etc etc. Blank looks is my first impression. They dont get it. The ones I have spoken to are unable to comprehend their country as anything but near perfect. Recent events have certainly opened their eyes as the government has been advertising the fact on TV and told them to behave in a more buddist way.

A while back the family of my thai gf asked me about Taksin. I said he is corrupt and lies and steals from the Thai people and would be finished soon. They nearly fell over at my comments. 2 weeks later he was ousted. months after that all the facts about his dodgy dealing started to be aired. Still they didn't beleive it. Only now are they realising the damage he has caused Thailand. Thais are only just waking up to the world around them, but they lives are often so hard that they give little thought to what the world opinion might be. it's unlikely to effect their lives that much and if it does it was destined to happen so why worry about it.

Thailand is getting a wake up call (the recession), but it is probably beyond most people's comprehension (that is actually true for all delevoping countries and for the less educated in all other counties).

people either dont understand the ramifications or long term impact the recession will have on their lives.

The answer to your question is probably no, they dont realise how MM their government comes across, but no more than the average US or Brit citizen don't realises their countries are war mongers driven by greed in the name of fighting global terrorism.

I am British by the way and an Ex Mil Forces who fought in GW1 and has worked with UK and US military and private agencies and personnel in the ME.

I think every PM in Thailand's history has been connected with some level of corruption.

It seems endemic to Thailand's people and Government.

That being said...

In such situations, you measure the amount of good vs. bad they had done.

Thaksin grew Thailand's economy from Agrarian as it's No.1 industry which required bumper crop yields to be good for the economy to Tourism which only required a smile and stable government....OK both are instable...

Thaksin brough technology, foreign investment farther along than any of his predecessors or successors who seem to spend more time infighting than governing.

Present team in place seems to have lost the plot altogether and moving towards a dictatorship. Burma with electricity...funny...I LIKE IT! So which is it?: A. Burmese Dictatorship? B. American style government under a repressive GW Bush like administration?

I PICK.... C. Constitutional Monarchy who loves their people and believes in democracy for its people as intended by King Chulalongkorn,(Rama V) พระบาทสมเด็จพระจุลจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว "พระปิยมหาราช" and our present King of Thailand.

Sad part about a government is even when they get it right...someone comes along after a few years and changes it for the worse.

Playing comedy in a Thai comedy group, almost half of our shows are in the Karaoke's/Lounges/Coyote places .... I know that this will have many comedians enraged. Just didn't go to Rama IX cafe today so do not know their opinions yet.

First Purichai destroyed the Cafe's so most comedians hated Thaksin for destroying a huge part of their livelyhood.

Now the Abhisit government might destroy another huge part of their livelyhood.

You see if they enforce the thing on the Karaoke-bars not only the girls lifes will be effected. Many food sellers will not have girls to sell their Som-Tam to. All the guys whom set up shop in these places around closing time to sell cheap perfumes, jewellry and other knickknacks to the girls will be out of work. The comedians and other performering artists like magicians, cabaret shows, the Philipine family acrobatics show will all loose about 50% of their regular work.

The many after hour places catering to the girls after their places close will also suffer.

I really wonder how they will enforce this .... recently because of the crisis many nightlife places received a huge influx of young women (18-22) where there hadn't been one in years (I have played comedy for five years and I had noticed many places having difficulties getting new "young" staff. The crisis solved that problem). Many are college or university students trying to earn the money for their studies now that middleclass mom and dad have run out of money. So I am not to sure middleclass mom and dad would applaud this action ....

W

Laying down the law

New regulations on karaoke, Internet gaming, film ratings set to take effect

30108573-01.jpg

The new rules, which also cover Internet cafes, allow children to play computer games for more than three hours and up to six hours a day, says Culture Minister Teera Salakpetch.

Those under 15 will be allowed to use the service from 2pm to 8pm from Monday to Friday and from 10am to 8pm during holidays and school breaks, while those aged 15 to 18 can play games until 10pm, Teera says.

The Cabinet also agreed that an IT system to keep kids under 18 from playing computer games for more than three hours a day should be ready before a ministerial regulation amendment is proposed later, he added.

The two regulations should take effect in mid-August.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Confusing Soundman! :) In one breath you say children can play for more than 3 hrs. Then you say that an IT system to be put in place to PREVENT 18yrs and under from playing more than 3 hrs per day. :D

Laying down the law

New regulations on karaoke, Internet gaming, film ratings set to take effect

30108573-01.jpg

The new rules, which also cover Internet cafes, allow children to play computer games for more than three hours and up to six hours a day, says Culture Minister Teera Salakpetch.

Those under 15 will be allowed to use the service from 2pm to 8pm from Monday to Friday and from 10am to 8pm during holidays and school breaks, while those aged 15 to 18 can play games until 10pm, Teera says.

The Cabinet also agreed that an IT system to keep kids under 18 from playing computer games for more than three hours a day should be ready before a ministerial regulation amendment is proposed later, he added.

The two regulations should take effect in mid-August.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009 07 29

Confusing Soundman! :) In one breath you say children can play for more than 3 hrs. Then you say that an IT system to be put in place to PREVENT 18yrs and under from playing more than 3 hrs per day. :D

So when are they supposed to do homework????

Anyway, they seemingly have not thought about all the kids HAVING a computer!!

There is no way they can enforce a thing like this.

Also I have a friend running a karaoke and I like to visit. NOT because the songs, but its a nice place

and even with the current rain they survive. Obviously as they CAN sing they have to be paid. And going out, they dont bother as they have their husbands... Ok, other karaokes will work differently but in this case there are no ladies to take out.... Owner got assistance from family and she would have a problem

telling her nieces to go with customers!

HEY!!! I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE NEW BAR GIRL RATING SYSTEM!!! :)

30108573-01.jpg

Well I guess since technically bar girls, prostitution and brothels are all illegal in Thailand, it would be silly for the government to have a rating for it huh?!

they (government) really know their priority overhere

I propose : stop prostitution , abuse of children, abuse of alcohol , stop selling sigarets

really I do

if Thailand want to get genuine tourists that spend money and not hookers, pimps and drug dealers

What are you daft?

Mormons do not spend a lot of money, and the prohibition on child abuse probably disqualifies them too.

And what about all the Thai people where would they go?

Edited by hhiser

Hopefully they won't forget to censor movie previews as well....

I stop taking my kids from going to the theater. Last time we went to see Doraemon and we had to sit through trailers with people getting their heads chopped off/naked women/horror scene. No more movie theaters for us.

Welcome to "The Land of 1000 Contradictions."

I agree 100%... and I have a very difficult time sitting through some of the previews where a girl pulls intestines out of another live girl and eats them in front of her, as I saw the other week before Star Trek 11. I was surprised at how angry it made me. Last weekend I had to stare at my popcorn during similar previews. The distant child-like look of stunned fascination on my TGF's face was interesting though. Like my little niece in a trance while watching Sponge Bob or something. Thai's love their gore. Just watch the local news sometime, no censorship of the real life crime scene/motorbike accidents. No respect for the injured or dead. Mangled/limbless/lifeless corpses of men women and children, and I'm not exagerating. My favorite was a segment where they played footage from traffic cameras showing a potpourri of motorbike riders of both sexes and all ages getting eviscerated by speeding red light running cars, trucks and buses. My "favorite" was the frame by frame of the motorbike getting broadside by a Fortuner doing 200+kph while running a red light causing a seperation of various body parts form former motorbike rider which are thrown 20 meters into the air. The director/commentator pausing the video to identify and circling the various ependages. (Of course the Fortuner then did the obligatory runner) Why don't they regulate THAT? If it bleeds it leads. What a joke these new laws are.