Thailand Officially Enters Rainy Season

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) has announced that the rainy season officially begins on May 20 across the country. This year, meteorologists predict substantial rainfall due to the transition from El Niño to La Niña, bringing with it the potential for heavy downpours, flash floods, and mudslides.

Director-General of the Meteorological Department, Ms. Kornravee Sitthichivapak, stated that the cumulative conditions—over 60% of upper Thailand receiving continuous heavy rain for at least three days, southwesterly winds at 1.5 km altitude carrying Andaman Sea moisture, and easterly winds at 10 km altitude—have prompted the start of the rainy season. 

The rainy season in the northern parts of Thailand is set to run until mid-October, whilst the southern regions, especially the eastern coast, will see heavy rainfall continuing until mid-January.

The weather phenomena known as El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) plays a crucial role in this year's weather forecast. Currently in a weak El Niño phase, ENSO is transitioning towards a weak La Niña by July. This shift is anticipated to result in improved rainfall distribution, different from the drought-like conditions that were prevalent during El Niño.

Interestingly, the TMD forecasts the occurrence of 1-2 tropical cyclones entering Thailand this rainy season, similar to the historical average. Unlike 2023, which saw no tropical cyclones pass through, this year’s cyclones are likely to affect the northeast and northern regions in August and September. This could improve the water situation in those areas compared to last year.

Overall, the total amount of rainfall this rainy season is expected to be close to the previous year’s levels, which was 1% above average. A dry spell might occur between mid-June and mid-July, presenting a water shortage risk for non-irrigated areas. However, heavy rain is anticipated in August and September, coinciding with the likely passage of cyclones, thereby increasing the risk of flash floods and mudslides due to accumulated rainwater.

Residents are advised to stay updated with weather forecasts and take necessary precautions to safeguard against potential water-related disasters.

TOP: File photo

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

It is a pity that they could not have been more specific as to what time on the 20th of May the Rainy season commenced - I appear to have missed it!

If I had known I would have put on my white flannels, taken out my cricket bat and knocked a few balls about. That usually guarantees some rain!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 2

If it keeps up every or almost every day then I agree but will this once again be the false start to the wet. May is often this way then the rain basically stops for a month of more with hot humid days and occasional storms until it finally breaks into the real wet season. 

Any rain welcome in Chanthaburi, our area surrounded by durian and fruit orchards, for months we've had six cloud-seeding rainmaking aircraft buzzing the skies in search of the right clouds.

And the last week of distant thunder, clouds pass us by to go inland and east.

7.16am this morning at the temple, and light rain, still falling now near 9am. Need a lot more, but it's a start.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

This year, meteorologists predict substantial rainfall due to the transition from El Niño to La Niña, bringing with it the potential for heavy downpours, flash floods, and mudslides.

Had a healthy rain shower yesterday afternoon, slow but lasted about 4 hours... did some good for the greenery.

• Like 1