george

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

700 THB for a 35-40 minute taxi ride is actauly great value

Take that long a taxi ride in London New York or Toronto and see how much it costs

By the way, with no tourists going to phuket, price is down to 450

The point is that we are in THAILAND not in new york or toronto ... a taxi ride from swampy to center bangkok should cost no more than 250-300 baht PERIOD !

when will you guys realize that comparing prices with your home countries is vain and totally off !

Even with a Thai wife who negotiates everything, I've never paid that little for a taxi to downtown. I think 500 baht once, 600 once, 700 once and 1000 once. The 1000 was to be taken to a hotel pretty far away at 1:00 AM, so it did not bother me at all. And yes, I do tip...sorry if that is unreasonable to you.

And how is comparing what you know to something else 'vain and totally off'? In most places, that is called experience.

I've also taken the taxi ride from Heathrow to downtown that the other poster spoke of, and it was NOT cheap by any sense of the word. In NYC you couldn't go 2 miles for what they charge you to go from Suv to downtown. As I said in my post, it is $70 for a taxi from my house to the airport, about 16-18 miles. So when someone charges 20 bucks to take me 18-22 miles, I am really not going to complain. If you would rather play taxi bingo until you find that mythical fare, more power to you, but I usually arrive in Bangkok after 24 hours on a plane, and all I want is to get to the hotel...even if it cost $5-10 more! It really all is relative, and if I am going to spend a vacation in Thailand, $20 bucks is not going to make much of a dent in the outlay.

Peace out,

Ken B

kbtexas

i am in and out of donmuang and suvana numerous times each year, the taxi fares nowadys using toll roads from downtown to airport and vice versa is around 270 baht plus toll.

sometimes a little more because of congestion, road repairs etc.

and i always use meter taxi as well.

perhaps telling the drivers to use toll roads will make some difference.

i am much bewildered reading different posts citing 400, 500 or more per trip.... from and to suvana

are some of the meters rigged?

did the tourist bargain for that fare?

did the tourist mistakenly hire a private party?

did the tourist choose NOT to pay the 50 baht surcharge and opt for an outside taxi instead?

TWO DAYS AGO.... even with paying the 50 baht surcharge and landed a properly licensed taxi from the airport, marriott's farang exec was fooled into getting out of that yellow-plate taxi to help push the taxi....

while marriott's executive was outside the taxi getting ready to help.... the taxi sped away with all his belonging including video cam, attache etc.

fortunately, he was brave enough to report the incident to the police.... the airport survil cam was replayed and driver was id....

when the police arrived at driver's residence, the stolen goods were recovered with the confession....

as a long time resident here, i really feel terrible hearing visitors and tourists being charged so excessively for a common taxi ride from and to suvana airport.

maybe when posting, po could provide more specificities about any irregular incidents, some readers just might be able to lend a hand one way or the other.

Edited by nakachalet

No doubt they will concentrate on drivers collecting outbound fares at departures drop off instead of concentrating on those annoying touts by the luggage claim belts.

Actually, no problem getting a taxi home out of departures last night, so that is good news!

Now here we are 28 years later and the airport authorities have just announced yet another crackdown on illegal taxis. Who can take these pathetic corrupt individuals seriously? It would be very simple to get rid of taxi touts, excise collection scams, King Power's scams and all the other unpleasant things that the airport authorities actively choose to inflict on travellers at Suvarnabhumi. Unfortunately they don't want to stop any of these things because they have a very strong belief that foreigners deserve to fleeced to fullest extent humanly possible. They are perfect targets because they are wealthier than Thais, don't understand the language or legal system and don't have any of those big shot connections that can suddenly pop up and bite you when you try to intimidate even quite humble looking Thais.

Good post. I agree the Thais are not interested in stopping these practices as they benefit from the money they generate. You are right - foreigners are fair game for being scammed whether tourist or longer stay foreigners, in any dispute you are almost always in the wrong and it's best to take the first available exit out of any situation. Personally I've found the best solution is to avoid contact as much as possible with any Thai in authority, with anyone actively trying to sell me anything, and to limit social contact except on the most cursory basis outside family and to keep a close eye on anything of value to anyone invited into my house. If you cannot accept that you are a sponge for squeezing by the Thais and become adept at staying hydrated then best not stay in Thailand or any of it's neighbouring countries. Thais can be charming and wonderful (some of the girls), egocentric (all the men), deceptive and cheating (most of them) and xenophobic (many of them). Foreigners have their own peculiar traits many of which are offensive to me and I am sure more offensive to the mild mannered Thais. None of us are perfect after all but some sure are better than others!

kbtexas

i am in and out of donmuang and suvana numerous times each year, the taxi fares nowadys using toll roads from downtown to airport and vice versa is around 270 baht plus toll.

sometimes a little more because of congestion, road repairs etc.

and i always use meter taxi as well.

perhaps telling the drivers to use toll roads will make some difference.

i am much bewildered reading different posts citing 400, 500 or more per trip.... from and to suvana

are some of the meters rigged?

did the tourist <b>bargain</b> for that fare?

did the tourist mistakenly hire a private party?

did the tourist choose NOT to pay the 50 baht surcharge and opt for an outside taxi instead?

--snip--

as a long time resident here, i really feel terrible hearing visitors and tourists being charged so excessively for a common taxi ride from and to suvana airport.

maybe when posting, po could provide more specificities about any irregular incidents, some readers just might be able to lend a hand one way or the other.

Thanks for the reasoned reply Naka. Since I speak pidgin Thai at best, I let my wife negotiate the prices, but to answer your questions is order:

Don't know about meters, but tolls are included in the prices I quoted.

Yes, my wife bargained for the fare. Perhaps, since she is from Udon Thani and is not used to taking taxi's, they rip her just as badly as they would me.

Not that I am aware of. They were cabs, with meters, sometimes the meters are used, sometimes not.

Yes, we pass the long line at the taxi stand and go to the street to catch a cab. In my experience in the US, this is usually cheaper. I think I may try the 'meter only' approach if it does not lead to too long of a delay. I am seriously tired when I hit Bangkok, and am in no mood to haggle over $5 or $10.

Hey, knowledge is the key. Since you sound reasonable and say the fare should be around 350 baht (with tolls), I will see what I can do next time I arrive. Should be early October if the government doesn't do anything silly about swine flu or the like.

Thanks for the education. I have been overpaying if what you say is correct. Though honestly, I still feel it is a deal at 600-800 baht if I do not have to spend 10 minutes haggling to get that price. ;-)

Heh, my wife once saved me $30 on gifts for friends here, by haggling for a half hour in 90 degree heat, 90% humidity, no air movement, smelling cooking (charred) fish, inside a night market in Bangkok. She just did not understand when I told her I would rather have paid the $30 and gotten into a 'civilized' environment. I did tell her I was proud of her haggling skills, which made her less unhappy. ;-) To her Thai sensibilities, I waste money. Probably true, but I am actually fairly frugal for an American.

Best Regards,

Ken B

Good post. I agree the Thais are not interested in stopping these practices as they benefit from the money they generate. You are right - foreigners are fair game for being scammed whether tourist or longer stay foreigners, in any dispute you are almost always in the wrong and it's best to take the first available exit out of any situation. Personally I've found the best solution is to avoid contact as much as possible with any Thai in authority, with anyone actively trying to sell me anything, and to limit social contact except on the most cursory basis outside family and to keep a close eye on anything of value to anyone invited into my house. If you cannot accept that you are a sponge for squeezing by the Thais and become adept at staying hydrated then best not stay in Thailand or any of it's neighbouring countries. Thais can be charming and wonderful (some of the girls), egocentric (all the men), deceptive and cheating (most of them) and xenophobic (many of them). Foreigners have their own peculiar traits many of which are offensive to me and I am sure more offensive to the mild mannered Thais. None of us are perfect after all but some sure are better than others!

Shame on you. First of all, let's see your perspective -- Thai girls are often charming and wonderful. Any clues there? Every Thai man is egocentric. Most Thais are deceptive cheats. Many Thais are xenophobic (although you don't make clear what your definition of the word is). You try not to have social contact with Thais. The Thais you do invite into your house are thieves.

ken b

after having read your last post, i almost want to ask whence in oct. indeed.... lol

perhaps not for any other reason than.... me flying in to suvana watching you and yours catching a taxi.... then, i would do likewise after you, and i would instruct my cabbie--

TARM ROTH KUN NHAR KRUP ตามรถคันหน้าครับ

so as to save my little face... lol

and perhaps to ascertain that your driver does not detour you thru sukothai--one of the most beautiful old capitals of siam.... lol

ahhh, to see that little antiquity you would need to pay a bit more.... lol my last visit there was when my son came over with his bride for honeymoon pretending that they were graciously coming over to pay homage to their fat and bald daddy.... lol

we rented a minivan for 5 glorious days.... f/b, lodging and entertainment etc, the damage was within 2.5k usd

if you haven't been there, it is worth every penny, but then your wife might have a different opinion though, she might whisper something along this line in your ear....

บ้าไปแล้วเหรอ ฉันดาวรถใหม่ได้ทั้งคันนะ

BAAR PAI LA-EW RHOR, CHAN DOWN ROT MAI, DAI TUNK KUN NA....

have you gone mad, that is down payment for my new car.... lol

it appears that you are realizing your dreams.... pls spend some quality precious relaxing moment with her there in a spa tub with candle lights and some yogurt.... of course, .... but then....

on the other hand, she might opt for ปลาทู plar-too, just to make the moment even more memorable.... lol

Edited by nakachalet

Now here we are 28 years later and the airport authorities have just announced yet another crackdown on illegal taxis. Who can take these pathetic corrupt individuals seriously? It would be very simple to get rid of taxi touts, excise collection scams, King Power's scams and all the other unpleasant things that the airport authorities actively choose to inflict on travellers at Suvarnabhumi. Unfortunately they don't want to stop any of these things because they have a very strong belief that foreigners deserve to fleeced to fullest extent humanly possible. They are perfect targets because they are wealthier than Thais, don't understand the language or legal system and don't have any of those big shot connections that can suddenly pop up and bite you when you try to intimidate even quite humble looking Thais.

Even Thaksin said it was every Thai's duty to extract every last baht possible from tourists and he was a master of the art.

700 THB for a 35-40 minute taxi ride is actauly great value

Take that long a taxi ride in London New York or Toronto and see how much it costs

Would they be the provinces of London, New York or Toronto in Isaan? I tell you what, a Lamborghini Gallardo in Siam Paragon is nearly 3 times the price it is in England. Following your "logic" I'd better fly home and snap up one of those bargains.

Looking at the fact that 700 baht is nearly 3 times the average daily salary for a front office clerk in an average Thai hotel. Is a 35-40 taxi ride where you come from 3 times the average daily salary of a hotel clerk? I certainly hope not.

I just wonder - What does an "illegal taxi" look like? :D Does anyone know if the cars used by the private airport taxi services we use to go to the airport from Pattaya would be considered as "illegal"?

In my experience, an illegal taxi at the airport normally looks like an old Volvo (740 I think, in dark blue). I often wait upstairs at departures for my wife to pick me up and as the 'traffic enforcers :D ' are moving some of the cars along that should not be there, the Volvo remains immune for reasons I cannot possibly imagine. Every time without fail I go through the same script.

"Taxi Pattaya?"

"No thanks"

"cheap price pattaya"

"no thanks I am not going to Pattaya"

"but cheap cheap price Pattaya"

"I don't need a taxi and I am not going to Pattaya, thanks anyway"

"go Pattaya cheap price"

"No thanks"

"where you go?"

"it doesn't matter where I go because I don't need a taxi"

"where you go?"

"home"

"where?"

"to my house"

"go Pattaya, cheap cheap, have Volvo" (which is 15 years old)

"WOW, in that case yes please, I will go to Pattaya, how much?" :)

It used to annoy me a little, now I just play along for my own amusement and keep smiling, always keep smiling.

Now I understand why everytime I walk out, I get at least 3 assh*les following me saying, Taxi Pattaya sir, taxi Pattaya!

Its because of all you d*cks who keep comparing how much you are paying to go to that vile place! There are other places to go in this country. So many people complaining about Thais treating you like crap. Its your own fault. If you go to Pattaya you are low class filth. It that simple. Even taxi touts know this.

Its especially insulting when I am with my wife and they ask this. I just want to pick them up and throw them down to the base level from Departures.

Just one time I turned arounf and shout: Mai Ao! Pattaya pen kee! The guy was so surpised he did not what to do.

I'm not a great fan of Pattaya, but in my opinion you are a real low class guy and if your wife is impressed by your ranting (which I doubt) then she is just as bad. These touts may be a pain in the ass, but I for one never feel the need to insult them. Sorry mate but you are probably beneath the people you are slagging off for going to Pattaya. Now run along and crawl under your 5 star rock.

Btw I'd love to see you talk like that to the taxi drivers in Phuket. Don't think you'd last long matey :)

I don't think you read my post very well. Normal response to any unwanted offers of 'service' are usually met with mai ao khap. That one time, no.

Why do I have to be approving of the sex tourists? Which most people are that go to Pattaya. Yes, I know not all. And I did not insult any taxi drivers, read again please. I have met a very few that were nice guys.

I would be highly surprised if any taxi drivers in Phuket would want to offer me ride to Pattaya :D , but then again, I have never been to Phuket, not do I have any plans to go.

ken b

after having read your last post, i almost want to ask whence in oct. indeed.... lol

It's a secret. ;-) But I will pay more attention to the cost.

perhaps not for any other reason than.... me flying in to suvana watching you and yours catching a taxi.... then, i would do likewise after you, and i would instruct my cabbie--

TARM ROTH KUN NHAR KRUP ตามรถคันหน้าครับ

Ok, follow that cab/car. :-)

if you haven't been there, it is worth every penny, but then your wife might have a different opinion though, she might whisper something along this line in your ear....

บ้าไปแล้วเหรอ ฉันดาวรถใหม่ได้ทั้งคันนะ

BAAR PAI LA-EW RHOR, CHAN DOWN ROT MAI, DAI TUNK KUN NA....

I believe I would get very much the same attitude. :-)

it appears that you are realizing your dreams.... pls spend some quality precious relaxing moment with her there in a spa tub with candle lights and some yogurt.... of course, .... but then....

on the other hand, she might opt for ปลาทู plar-too, just to make the moment even more memorable.... lol

Ok, this one I don't get. How does mackeral make such a moment more memorable? I know that Thai's eat rice and mackeral to save money, or if you are poor, but that does not compute either. :shrug: (heh, no shrug smiley)

And yeah, I enjoy the visits to Thailand. We usually go to the beach, but since there is perhaps an ASEAN conference in Phuket near when I will be there, I think this year we will go to Chang Mai and back to Bangkok. While in Bangkok, I plan to rent a van and go to Ayuttaya with some friends, and visit the old temple and the floating flower market. Should be an interesting and fun trip since I do not often play tourist. :-)

Ken B

Came in on Friday and never saw or heard one dodgy taxi hustler.

Well its Monday now. Is the crackdown over yet? The 'guards' (I use that term loosely) must be itching for a bit of tea money by now.

The only way to clean up the airport taxi mafia is with a street sweeper.

Illegal taxis? I think what people mean is a legal, plated, metered taxi, operating illegally. i.e. picking upwhere he shouldn't (departures) or refusing to use the meter.

It took over 60 posts before someone mentioned that if you get a taxi from the official stand, you are given a complaint form incase you need it. Shows how many of you bother to read it!

Someone mentioned there are white & yellow taxi licencing plates. I'd guess there's good reason for this. Might be those registered in BKK have one colour, or might be like as in England. A difference between hackneys (who can pick up on request) & private hire, who cannot.

(acknowledgement to another poster who offered an explaination about this since i started to write this in wordpad)

Btw, I wonder why ppl never ask me to go Pattaya? I guess Im not looking like low class filth then ..

I take great exception to that. I most certainly do not look like low class filth but do sometimes travel to Pattaya to vist a farang friend who has run legitimate business there for nigh on 20 years.

Whilst you're all slating the Thai taxi drivers as if they are all crooks, might be a good time to mention i have read several stories on the internet, of guys who have lost valuables/money/passport etc. in a taxi whilst riding from BKK to Pattaya, only for the taxi driver to drive all the way back to the hotel he dropped them off at the next day to return said valuable.

"Don't think for a second that the cops are going to do crack down...they do that just for image, the cops are the ones who are behind all this crap, the cabs have to pay the cops so that they can pick up tourist at the airport. that's why the farangs are charged . exp. taxi charge farang 600 thb, taxi give cop 200 thb".

What a load of cobblers.

I've met a few uk black cab drivers whilst in Pattaya, without exception, they always have more money to spend than they know what to do with!

You guys will keep comparing to the cost in your own country. It is TOTALLY irrelevant unless you look at per mile/km cost v average salary for a local.

Yes, my wife bargained for the fare. Perhaps, since she is from Udon Thani and is not used to taking taxi's, they rip her just as badly as they would me.

With all due respect to your wife, but if she is from upcountry, not well traveled & has not spent time in big cities, then she is just as susceptable to being ripped off as us farang are .....until we learn the hard way.

we rented a minivan for 5 glorious days.... f/b, lodging and entertainment etc, the damage was within 2.5k usd

Jeez $2,500 for 5 days? :)

I'd be looking to stay a month in the Kingdom for that.

Edited by Lancashirelad

Can anyone offer assistance? I will be arriving in swampy on the 2nd September and need a taxi ride to Bangkapi (I think its spelt) How much should this cost by legal/taxi meter, Does anyone know? :) I don't have a big budget and would appreciate a fair price :D

Cheers in advance

Btw, I wonder why ppl never ask me to go Pattaya? I guess Im not looking like low class filth then ..

I take great exception to that. I most certainly do not look like low class filth but do sometimes travel to Pattaya to vist a farang friend who has run legitimate business there for nigh on 20 years.

But to be realistic, Pattaya has the worst reputation of virtually any place outside of a few places within in Bangkok of almost any place in Thailand. Over the years I've suggested to several Thai friends we should go to Pattaya for a few days. The response is always no...too low class. Having said that, I'm sure there are nice places in Pattaya, but it's far from being thought of primarily as a family setting.

I also must admit that the other day I had to go to Immigration here in Bangkok for my retirement visa. As I sat there I actually thought, "My god, I hope I never look like some of these losers." There were all types, of course, but an awfully lot of low class looking farangs were there. I couldn't help but think that in some ways, Thais are pretty relaxed about who they let into their country.

Whilst you're all slating the Thai taxi drivers as if they are all crooks, might be a good time to mention i have read several stories on the internet, of guys who have lost valuables/money/passport etc. in a taxi whilst riding from BKK to Pattaya, only for the taxi driver to drive all the way back to the hotel he dropped them off at the next day to return said valuable.

I agree with you here. With taxi drivers (as with most groups of people) there are all types. And for the most part, I think they're hard working and relatively honest...at least now that the vast majority use the meters. I have a completely different feeling about tuk tuk and motorcycle drivers.

charliemike

from suvana to bung ka pi, the meter taxi fare after paying the 50 baht service charge after exiting the arrival area, should be around 320 baht.

unless of course you are kind enough to allow your taxi driver takes you for a sightseeing tour around ar-yut-ta-ya, the enchanting ancient capital of thailand.... lol

friend, better be prepared to tell the taxi driver--WHERE IN BUNGKAPI YOU ARE HEADING OK? a hotel or flat or hospital name etc?

otherwise, the pitiful thai taxi driver will intentionally or unintentionally get lost around the loops and then.... has to shoulder all the blame and complaint from all the no good farangs again..... lol

I want to stay at "Siam Society & Resort" 302 Soi Yothinpattana, Klongjan, Bankapi, Bangkok 10240 the website for the hotel looks good but they want to charge 1100 baht for a taxi to bring me there I thought it was too high but have never travelled that way out before....Anyone know this hotel is it any good???

charliemike11

1100 baht is way too much. see attached map. siam society is between donmuang airport and suvana airport.

upon arrival and custom check et al, exit the building and go straight to the taxi booth and pay the 50 baht service charge. the officers there will ask you about your destination, tell them you want to go to siam society hotel.... and they will write the name down on the slip of paper.

there they will get you a meter cab and THEY WILL INFORM THE CAB DRIVER THAT YOU WANT TO GO TO SIAM SOCIETY HOTEL.

no more than 250 baht max....

pls do not pay the 1100 baht.... the hotel taxi driver has to pay the doorman, the manager and maybe several others in between....

it is very much like the current system in phuket and pattaya.... where you pay an arm and a foot to some sort of organized syndicates to travel one or two blocks for 200 baht....

avoid phuket and pattaya at all cost.... if you have no business there.... lol

but don't tell my relatives--hotel owners there though that i said not to go there.... lol

post-75359-1249820357_thumb.jpg

Edited by nakachalet

Some interesting posts here, I wonder why, if Thai people are so bad, anyone ever lives here.

I think the "illegal" taxis are just that, legal taxi drivers not picking people up from the designated taxi stand.

What I wish they would do something about is the touts that harass you when you walk out of the customs queue.

Its such a pity that they don't take a crackdown on the legal (I think TOA) taxi's who are scamming you each time again and again. I have my own private taxi every time for only 1.000 baht from Bangkok/Pattaya. He also pick me up with the same (private) car. Is that also not allowed anymore??? We are waiting for the next exiting story !!!!!!! Tomorrow everything is different again????

you have to get legal taxi bkk-pattaya ( not less then 2000 baht ) he he he

QUOTE (Hermanus @ 2009-07-30 16:14:38)

Its such a pity that they don't take a crackdown on the legal (I think TOA) taxi's who are scamming you each time again and again. I have my own private taxi every time for only 1.000 baht from Bangkok/Pattaya. He also pick me up with the same (private) car. Is that also not allowed anymore??? We are waiting for the next exiting story !!!!!!! Tomorrow everything is different again????

----------

you have to get legal taxi bkk-pattaya ( not less then 2000 baht ) he he he

----------

not not not.... lol

there seems to be an easier way to solve this....

pay the 50 baht fee and get a licensed taxi to take you to the next exit, or

hop on an airport bus and meet your private driver at the next exit....

there you go.... your problem resolved.... quite easily....

why didn't i ever think of that first.... lol