Aot Beefs Up Security At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flew into Phuket last year... half my clothes were missing after I unpacked... and I'm not talking valuable stuff... but I was pretty pissed off.... they even took underwear !! Never had that experience in other countries.

Wow, I can hardly believe some of the things I have just read !!!

* "Theft is not a problem limited to Thailand" - OK, no worries then, it's "normal", no point in trying to change that, just live with it !!!

* "I've travelled many times, nothing was ever stolen from me" - Same for me but maybe I was just lucky or that I didn't have anything of interest in my luggage, does that mean it's OK for others to be stolen from ?

* "I've had things stolen from my luggage in other countries, doesn't mean I call the whole population of that country thieves" - Sure, there are good people and bad people in every country, of all colours and religion, but let's face it, we are not only talking about a couple of tourists having some of their belongings stolen from their suitcases but of a disturbingly growing number of all sorts of scams aimed at "Falangs" in a country where all official instances are profoundly corrupt ! Honestly, I can't imagine english, german, french, swedish (etc...) police officers scamming tourists at the airport of large sums of money under false pretences !!!

* "If you don't like it here, just go and don't come back, Thailand will be better off without you !" - Meaning what ? That when you arrive in Thailand you leave your brains at home ? That you just take it all "as is" (the bad with the good) and should you ever dare to express any criticism you should leave and never come back ? That it's OK not only to come and spend your hard earned money but also find it "normal" to give some (a lot) more away to unscrupulous thieves ? We are not talking of "Robin Hood(s)" here, stealing from the "rich" (which most of us are in Thailand but certainly not back home) to give to the "poor" (as if those police officers were making monthly contributions to charity organizations, what a joke !). And foremost, that we should "respect" the way things are without expecting any respect in return ?

* "We should not forget that we are guests here" - Well, I don't know how those who say this treat their guests, but I would certainly never tell a Thai visiting my country that he was a "whiner" if he complained after being robbed or thrown in jail unjustly or been scammed in any way, I would feel ashamed and try to make things right in any way I can ! And by the way, only some "Falangs" justify corruption in Thailand by saying "it's the way it is", I have met many Thai who aspire to more justice and despise the corruption, many who try to make up for this in however little way they can and are definately not trying to justify it, explain it, yes, say it's OK, no ! Many "Falangs" confuse the Thai's acceptance of his "condition" as "kneeling down" to it, how far it is from the truth, they merely aknowledge the way things are and "work" with it, it doesn't mean they agree or that they won't eventually try to change it !

So, all this to say that , two wrongs doesn't make a right, it's not because we are "well off" moneywise compared to Thais that stealing is OK. It's not because there are thiefs all over the world that we should accept it without trying to fight it (in Thailand like everywhere else). It's not because we are "guests" and have a different culture that we are stupid and do not deserve to be respected. It's not because some Falangs take advantage of the situation that all Falangs do the same thing. It's not OK to say we have nothing to say. Its not because we love (whoever, whatever) that we have to accept everything without a word, loose our self-respect, get ripped off, forget who we are, what we are and what we stand for ! It's not because of our differences that wrong and right differ...

"The way to hel_l is paved with good intentions", we all know that and should be wary of it, which doesn't mean that we should become passive for fright of doing wrong ! And for those who yearn for what was and which is now gone, life is movement, change...nothing stays the same...and if it does, it finally withers off and dies...and Thailand is changing and it's not because we are "guests" that we have no role to play or no contribution to make...respectfully !!!

:)

The problem is not exclusive to Swampy, as has been pointed out. At least there appears to be an effort to clean it up, here and elsewhere around the world.

For what it's worth, I have never lost anything at Swampy.

SAN MATEO -- Three baggage handlers at San Francisco International Airport have been convicted of stealing from luggage during an undercover sting that was launched in the wake of the theft of a retired police sergeant's gun, authorities said today.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1#ixzz0MsJ8wxMw

TRENTON -- A former Transportation Security Administration baggage screener was sentenced to three years in jail today for stealing more than 100 cameras, laptop computers and other items from checked luggage at Newark Liberty International Airport.

Read more: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/f...rt_baggage.html

MEMPHIS - A trip to the airport might seem like your ticket to a getaway, but for some people, it's an easy route to get away with your stuff. Nancy Allen found out first hand.

"They took her iPod, his wallet, my camera equipment, my XD cards," Allen said. Allen is a WREG employee.

Her family's trip to Disneyland was ruined when their flight landed in Memphis and she opened her luggage to find more than $1400 worth of electronics and her family's vacation memories, gone.

Read more: http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-luggage-loot...0,7521871.story

HANOI - Luu Truong Giang of the Noi Bai International Airport Ground Service (NIAGS) was caught red-handed last Friday night taking a digital camera and two memory cards from a bag that he was loading for a flight to Bangkok.

Read more: http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/?cati...mp;newsid=50999

BRUSSELS — The EU's top transport official put airlines, airports and national transport authorities on notice Tuesday that he wants them to do more to address the "very serious" problem of airline passengers' lost luggage.

Read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...nwWH7NyxwZQgT-A

DUBAI - Dubai Police are investigating theft at the airport after suspects changed tag numbers of luggage, causing it to be diverted.

According to statistics provided by the Dubai Police Airport Security department, there were 21 cases of theft in the first three months of this year.

Read more: http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_...s/10332948.html

DURBAN - Bollywood actor Sunil Shetty has said that his costumes and other belongings were stolen and hinted that the theft was "organised" in connivance with the luggage handlers of the Airports Company of South Africa, which said it was unaware of the incident.

Read more: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/16223/...no-problem.html

everybody needs his cut right, and they forgot the luggage thieves...

ur last surprise when you come home... if you did not end up in one of the other thai scemes to get rid of your useless baht's outside thailand...

so for tourists who plan to come here :

ripped on arrival

ripped with taxi fares

prepare to pay double in hotels, restaurants, shops ...

watch out for security that might accuse you with dropping a sigarette bud even you do not smoke ...

carefull when shopping in duty free, might end up in jail

what out of buying stuff or doing business with thais as you might fly out of a window (famous in pattaya)

watch out not to get robbed, shot, stabbed

watch out for ladyboys, aids, veneral deseases

etc...

CLASSIC POST.....So true. Thailand the land of lies and deception!

So true, so true... This is the unfortunate reality. As a friend once said, Thailand is a country full of con men.

Ah yes, remind me again, where did sub-prime start?

ANSWER:

london,new york,bejing,bangalore,

never had one single problem in DM, or SB.

I have had to perform the taxi ritual.......................... no problem

ALWAYS PUT EVERYTHING OF VALUE IN CARRY ON BAG. ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, a thief gets two free passes before they are fired on the third botched attempt to rip us off?!? What kinda crazy rule is that out. This is not baseball, it's crime. We always wonder why when we go to tland we always come home with more things missing then travels elsewhere, remarkably so. Now we know. Cheers.

My belief is this country ought not be called Thailand, Land of Smiles but Thailand LACK OF SANCTIONS (LOS). There seems to be very few/if any consequences for mis-behavior in this country. Giving the "false perception" i.e. saving face is the first priority. Therefore always think of "face" LOL value of being accused/caught/punished for mis-behavior. LOLOL Oh my poor fact!!!!!!

What a "way." And do we wonder why there remains ONLY talk talk talk in LOS???? But it sounds good eh???? LOLOLOL

I am wondering what sort of things are getting stolen from the bags. Are people really silly enough to put valuables inside their checked baggage. I travel often out of Thailand and my bag has clothing in it, possibly a pair of shoes and towel or two. I would imagine that its not clothing that they are after.

Are people really silly enuf to put their handy cams,the cameras, ipods, jewellery etc in the bag? What do they carry onto the plane, invaluables? :):D

Hey Neverdie,

I don't travel as light as I used to. Recently got back from a trip to the US.

My carry-on has my laptop, dslr camera, vid camera, gps, chargers for all those, meds, Ipod, and important papers. That made it twice as heavy as the airlines allow for carry-ons, but I've been lucky so far and not had to transfer stuff to my bags. Anyway, brought to bags for in the belly - one had clothes, the other had all sorts of stuff that cannot be bought here - about 15kgs worth - all of it fairly valuable.

Yellow cable-ties worked a treat. Including first and last airports, went through five and nothing gone. But yeah, people do put valuables in the cargo section. Scary, but what else can you do?

COLOR CODED CABLE TIES..............ALWAYS. NICE BIG ORANGE ONES ( GET IT)? :D

Wow, I can hardly believe some of the things I have just read !!!

* "Theft is not a problem limited to Thailand" - OK, no worries then, it's "normal", no point in trying to change that, just live with it !!!

* "I've travelled many times, nothing was ever stolen from me" - Same for me but maybe I was just lucky or that I didn't have anything of interest in my luggage, does that mean it's OK for others to be stolen from ?

* "I've had things stolen from my luggage in other countries, doesn't mean I call the whole population of that country thieves" - Sure, there are good people and bad people in every country, of all colours and religion, but let's face it, we are not only talking about a couple of tourists having some of their belongings stolen from their suitcases but of a disturbingly growing number of all sorts of scams aimed at "Falangs" in a country where all official instances are profoundly corrupt ! Honestly, I can't imagine english, german, french, swedish (etc...) police officers scamming tourists at the airport of large sums of money under false pretences !!!

* "If you don't like it here, just go and don't come back, Thailand will be better off without you !" - Meaning what ? That when you arrive in Thailand you leave your brains at home ? That you just take it all "as is" (the bad with the good) and should you ever dare to express any criticism you should leave and never come back ? That it's OK not only to come and spend your hard earned money but also find it "normal" to give some (a lot) more away to unscrupulous thieves ? We are not talking of "Robin Hood(s)" here, stealing from the "rich" (which most of us are in Thailand but certainly not back home) to give to the "poor" (as if those police officers were making monthly contributions to charity organizations, what a joke !). And foremost, that we should "respect" the way things are without expecting any respect in return ?

* "We should not forget that we are guests here" - Well, I don't know how those who say this treat their guests, but I would certainly never tell a Thai visiting my country that he was a "whiner" if he complained after being robbed or thrown in jail unjustly or been scammed in any way, I would feel ashamed and try to make things right in any way I can ! And by the way, only some "Falangs" justify corruption in Thailand by saying "it's the way it is", I have met many Thai who aspire to more justice and despise the corruption, many who try to make up for this in however little way they can and are definately not trying to justify it, explain it, yes, say it's OK, no ! Many "Falangs" confuse the Thai's acceptance of his "condition" as "kneeling down" to it, how far it is from the truth, they merely aknowledge the way things are and "work" with it, it doesn't mean they agree or that they won't eventually try to change it !

So, all this to say that , two wrongs doesn't make a right, it's not because we are "well off" moneywise compared to Thais that stealing is OK. It's not because there are thiefs all over the world that we should accept it without trying to fight it (in Thailand like everywhere else). It's not because we are "guests" and have a different culture that we are stupid and do not deserve to be respected. It's not because some Falangs take advantage of the situation that all Falangs do the same thing. It's not OK to say we have nothing to say. Its not because we love (whoever, whatever) that we have to accept everything without a word, loose our self-respect, get ripped off, forget who we are, what we are and what we stand for ! It's not because of our differences that wrong and right differ...

"The way to hel_l is paved with good intentions", we all know that and should be wary of it, which doesn't mean that we should become passive for fright of doing wrong ! And for those who yearn for what was and which is now gone, life is movement, change...nothing stays the same...and if it does, it finally withers off and dies...and Thailand is changing and it's not because we are "guests" that we have no role to play or no contribution to make...respectfully !!!

:D

Completly agree with you. What a sensible post.

Of course there are good and bad everywhere.

Of course posting on forums can help change things - however slowly

The problem is many do not see other people's points of view. Because they have never had anything stolen, there is no crime in thailand

Then we get the " if you don't like it get out" brigade, the " hang um high " brigade , and those that seem not to understand the definition of a guest

I have no problems with the average Thai in integrating. It's these self opinionated farangs :)

Wait, a thief gets two free passes before they are fired on the third botched attempt to rip us off?!? What kinda crazy rule is that out. This is not baseball, it's crime. We always wonder why when we go to tland we always come home with more things missing then travels elsewhere, remarkably so. Now we know. Cheers.

My belief is this country ought not be called Thailand, Land of Smiles but Thailand LACK OF SANCTIONS (LOS). There seems to be very few/if any consequences for mis-behavior in this country. Giving the "false perception" i.e. saving face is the first priority. Therefore always think of "face" LOL value of being accused/caught/punished for mis-behavior. LOLOL Oh my poor fact!!!!!!

What a "way." And do we wonder why there remains ONLY talk talk talk in LOS???? But it sounds good eh???? LOLOLOL

In some ways, Thais do not want to be seen involved in conflict. Bad things will go away. As you say, face

Can't you read? The initial post clearly says the thief will be fired immediately and the contractor will get three chances.

Your post is yet another attempt at misinformation by a member. You think that's clever? If you do then you're obviously not clever.

PRYORITY:

1) BE CLEVER

2) DECEPTION IS POWER

3) RULE OF LAW

THIS IS THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR IN THE " EAST / WEST " EQUATION. :)

IT IS NOT USEFULL FOR FOREIGNER TO PROJECT WESTERN VALUES ON TO EAST CULTURE. NOT CLEVER. WAST OF TIME.

"CLEVER" AND "DECEPTION" SEEM TO BE ASAIN MANTRA. OFTEN REWARDED.

A firm whose staff steal from passengers' bags more than three times will have its contract terminated, Mr Piyaphan said.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-31

Did anyone notice the comment lower in the Post article that the employee would get fired after he had stolen gear from bags 3 times!!??

Yes, I missed that initially. I wonder how many times someone has actually stolen something before they get caught 3 times. What a joke. :)

I think they mean that if any staff steals one time, they immediately get fired. But if 3 employees of a contracted firm steal, THEN the firm basically gets fired. You guys need to read stuff through a little more carefully.

Hello, I have had no problems with any thefts of my belongings at any airport in Thailand. Maybe the workers in the airports will see that the authorities might be watching so they should get on with their work. I hope this action will make a difference as I have been reading about many thefts, but I do not know if the people reporting the thefts want to make an insurance claim. It is difficult to know which side is making a true effort to be honest. Cheers.

It didn't say that. Read it again.

Did anyone notice the comment lower in the Post article that the employee would get fired after he had stolen gear from bags 3 times!!??

I think they mean they will give them 3 chances to weed out any would be thiefs before they take any possitive action

everybody needs his cut right, and they forgot the luggage thieves...

ur last surprise when you come home... if you did not end up in one of the other thai scemes to get rid of your useless baht's outside thailand...

so for tourists who plan to come here :

ripped on arrival

ripped with taxi fares

prepare to pay double in hotels, restaurants, shops ...

watch out for security that might accuse you with dropping a sigarette bud even you do not smoke ...

carefull when shopping in duty free, might end up in jail

what out of buying stuff or doing business with thais as you might fly out of a window (famous in pattaya)

watch out not to get robbed, shot, stabbed

watch out for ladyboys, aids, veneral deseases

etc...

CLASSIC POST.....So true. Thailand the land of lies and deception!

So true, so true... This is the unfortunate reality. As a friend once said, Thailand is a country full of con men.

yeah! spread the word...maybe more people like you will stay out and it will make our lives that much more delightful here. That list is ridiculous, generalized, and not to mention par for the course in every country in the world except maybe the Vatican...on second thought the latter portion of that list probably describes the Vatican City as well...sorry to say. Oh and you forgot the pedophile part...better put that in your list as well.

I don't think the list is generalised or par for the course in every country. I don't think that living in a country in which you were not born precludes a right to comment on things that go on there. Unfortunately the list is pretty accurate and the faults are becoming more common - or seem so. I live in Thailand and I do not like many things and love many other things. The fact is my children are growing up here and like most parents I aspire for the country they live in to get better which means exposing things that are wrong rather than sitting back and just accepting everything. The society is so politically screwed up and corrupt that it needs a groundswell of people to understand what is going on and have the balls to stand up to it. As foreigners here our voices are mute because the Thais do not place any value on what we think. things will change eventually I suppose and in the meantime I believe people have a right to point out the problems and issues facing the country and minorities here who contribute greatly to the benefit of the country.

As to the report regarding the baggage handling theives, I fail to see how these measures can be anything but a positive step to improve things IF they are properly implemented. It is sad again to see so many people not bothering to read the article properly and jumping to conclusions. I applaud the measures and hope some improvement results. Credit where credit is due!

Can't you read? The initial post clearly says the thief will be fired immediately and the contractor will get three chances.

Your post is yet another attempt at misinformation by a member. You think that's clever? If you do then you're obviously not clever.

PRYORITY:

1) BE CLEVER

2) DECEPTION IS POWER

3) RULE OF LAW

THIS IS THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR IN THE " EAST / WEST " EQUATION. :)

IT IS NOT USEFULL FOR FOREIGNER TO PROJECT WESTERN VALUES ON TO EAST CULTURE. NOT CLEVER. WAST OF TIME.

"CLEVER" AND "DECEPTION" SEEM TO BE ASAIN MANTRA. OFTEN REWARDED.

Some values are common to pretty much all sane humans regardless of culture and some values are highlighted and changed by the passing whims of what is politically and socially fasionable in various societies as time goes on. If it is a waste of time to project a different set of values on a society then nothing would ever change would it? I am not sure 'clever' would be an adjective that would immediately spring to mind when talking about Thais in generality, however deceptive would be one that might be appropriate. Clever at deception would also be pretty accurate too but then I am beginning to believe the whole world is becoming more deceptive and generally less honorable but maybe that is rooted in the old fashioned English values upon which I was brought up and which seem to have now all but disappeared. Thank the politicians for screwing the world.

I think they mean they will give them 3 chances to weed out any would be thiefs before they take any possitive action

Really i think you need to read the op post and then read every post from then, Before you are qualified to post a reply. I am talking about everyone not just the post i have replied to.

I am going to make this below my signature. :)

Resistance is futile you will be assimulated

and that goes for you as well beerchang :D

Now I think I understand why I "lost" my stuff when I flew out of Bangkok in May this year.

I remembered I had 3-4 DVDs in the net compartment and a few new toothbrushes inside the baggage. When I returned home and opened the baggage, I couldn't find those items. Since the baggage was locked (though with a regular small lock), I thought I must have left them in the hotel room even though I was quite careful when packing.

Now it dawns on me that they could have been stolen at the airport!!!

Hunghung

wow too long to read thru all pages, but this has been a problem with ALL of my family members excluding myself. thank goodness! i've traveled to thailand 2 times, and not have missed anything from my luggages. i think it's because i've known this to be a problem so my bags are set so all my underwear and garments are right up front when u open the bags LOL.

however, all my family members that have travel either to thailand or thru thailand to laos have lost many items, most of the time it's jeans, any kind of jeans! they take it all! my uncle whom went to laos thru thailand as a layover lost his suit that he intended to wear to his brother's wedding!

and everyone is aware of removing new tags and etc. so yeah, it doesn't matter if it's old or new, most had a problem of missing articles, it wasn't so much that the whole luggage was missing. :)

wow too long to read thru all pages, but this has been a problem with ALL of my family members excluding myself. thank goodness! i've traveled to thailand 2 times, and not have missed anything from my luggages. i think it's because i've known this to be a problem so my bags are set so all my underwear and garments are right up front when u open the bags LOL.

however, all my family members that have travel either to thailand or thru thailand to laos have lost many items, most of the time it's jeans, any kind of jeans! they take it all! my uncle whom went to laos thru thailand as a layover lost his suit that he intended to wear to his brother's wedding!

and everyone is aware of removing new tags and etc. so yeah, it doesn't matter if it's old or new, most had a problem of missing articles, it wasn't so much that the whole luggage was missing. :)

Must have caused a stir at the Wedding

Brighten up our day and post the wedding pics showing him in boxer shorts. ( I assume they did not take those) :D:D

Can't help but notice that much of the news coming out of Thailand involves a new government crackdown.

The sheer number of things they need to crack down on is mind numbing. Is there anything going right in Thailand.

My Thai wife wants to retire there but I really don't think that's such a great idea.

• 1 month later...
AoT beefs up security at Suvarnabhumi

Baggage staff coming under closer scrutiny

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-31

As we all know this is just a joke. Nothing changes. The wife flew into BKK (from LAX) and caught a Air Asia connecting flight up to Udon Thani. She just called pissed off. Someone had gone through her baggage and took anything of value. The lock was broken and contents where rifled through. Nothing will ever change ...