Cat Approves Fibre Network For Thailand

george

CAT approves fibre network for Thailand

CAT to bridge 'last mile'

BANGKOK: -- CAT Telecom's board of directors has given the green light to a 6-billion-baht optical fibre network for nationwide service coverage.

Describing the network as CAT's "last-mile" project, director Thaneerat Siripachana said the project would take around three years to complete.

He said the project would enable the state telecom enterprise to reach customers in both urban and rural areas.

The network will be capable of handling broadband internet, multimedia and data transmissions.

He expects the project to begin early next year because it still needs to be considered by the Information and Communications Technology Ministry, the National Economic and Social Development Board and the cabinet.

He said the project would enable CAT to gain access to more customers.

CAT does not have the means to reach end-users at present, which prevents it from competing effectively with other service providers.

The network will become CAT's new revenue source at a time when its core international direct dialling business is threatened by cheaper internet-based communication.

CAT reported 23.79 billion baht in revenue in the first half of this year, down from 24.65 billion in the same period last year.

Deputy president Suchin Puengvora-arch said that IDD users rose 7-8% after CAT introduced a marketing campaign to promote its 009 internet-based service. The good response pushed revenue from international calls to reach the target of 6.5 billion baht.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-31

He expects the project to begin early next year because it still needs to be considered by the Information and Communications Technology Ministry, the National Economic and Social Development Board and the cabinet.

postlogo.jpg

And, as we all know how quickly they deal with things, we can expect expedited action and the start of home connections in the year 2050!

Unless it's turned over to another committee for more study, first.

Cs

postlogo.jpg

And, as we all know how quickly they deal with things, we can expect expedited action and the start of home connections in the year 2050!

Unless it's turned over to another committee for more study, first.

Cs

Reading the headline I kinda got excited - after reading the story - <deleted> was i thinking??? :)

It's still got 3 hurdles - and that's a lot folks who all have to get a piece. I'll see it in my next lifetime.

<snip>

<snip>

postlogo.jpg

money will decide! how much for each party involved isn't clarified yet... It can take years. :)

Edited by webfact

Shouldn't this be posted in the jokes section.

I have been waiting since 2003 for just a normal telephone line and believe it not the line from the main village stops only 4km from our house on a built up road with power poles just waiting for the TOT, TT&T, True, Fred Karnoes Army or anybody to go just that little extra.

:):D :D

I have been waiting since 2003 for just a normal telephone line and believe it not the line from the main village stops only 4km from our house on a built up road with power poles just waiting for the TOT, TT&T, True, Fred Karnoes Army or anybody to go just that little extra.

I have about the same situation. It's about five kilometers to my place and they gave me a quote of 130,000 baht. I passed.

I have about the same situation. It's about five kilometers to my place and they gave me a quote of 130,000 baht. I passed.

That much.

Wow

I could do it myself for less than that (and perhaps a better job too).

I think the main problem is that it would affect the local exchange, not enough lines so that would need and expansion, then back 60km to Khampaeng Phet and a possible exchange upgrade there.

Hopefully the main trunks to Bangkok should be enough.

Also up here now we have had 2 "new" AIS sites and 1 "new" DTAC site and most people have mobile phones anyway.

"new" really means a new site but probably recycled 2 or 2 1/2 equipment.

When 3G finally gets here there will be a lot of "surplus" equipment for recycling so perhaps even more cell sites will spring up.