1 Yr To A 5 Yr License In 30 Minutes. Result!

Phatcharanan

As the title says. Today went to the licensing office and turned up at 10.40am Was given the number 52 at the little desk at the front.

Walked upstairs...........the screen is showing number 51. COOL !

Had my number called out 2 mins later. Handed my docs over, pictures taken. Walked out at 11.10am with two licenses in my mitts.

Docs I had were passport with two copies of ID page and Visa page with TM6. Two medical reports (100 baht each) on Soi Theprrasit.

Two letters of residence from Patts Imm. (400 baht :) ) and my 1 Yr licenses.

I was not asked to do any 'tests' such as perception, colour etc........basically straight in and out.

Very efficient service.

Great to get it so fast!

Was the renewal before or after your birthday (expiration date)?

Am reading conflicting reports that one can and cannot renew before the expiration. Some say, can only renew only within 30 days after expiration.

My 1 Yr expired on the 24th July. I renewed for my 5 Yr on the 31st July. I have been told that you can only apply once it has actually expired and that you can do this at anytime after expiry for up to a maximum of 3 months.

I do not know how true the 3 months thing is......and to be honest, I cannot remember where that info came from.

Great to get it so fast!

Am reading conflicting reports that one can and cannot renew before the expiration. Some say, can only renew only within 30 days after expiration.

My 1 Yr expired on the 24th July. I renewed for my 5 Yr on the 31st July. I have been told that you can only apply once it has actually expired and that you can do this at anytime after expiry for up to a maximum of 3 months.

I do not know how true the 3 months thing is......and to be honest, I cannot remember where that info came from.

If I recall correctly, I obtained my original one-year licenses in April 2007... it might have been May but certainly no later than that. I renewed/upgraded to the five-year licenses on 12 January 2009.

It seems that the information about waiting until the one-year expires has been consistent...not so much for the window after expiry. As I recall, the "lady boss" at the Chok Chai 4 office told me the window for renewing/upgrading was one year.

Great to get it so fast!

If I recall correctly, I obtained my original one-year licenses in April 2007... it might have been May but certainly no later than that. I renewed/upgraded to the five-year licenses on 12 January 2009.

It seems that the information about waiting until the one-year expires has been consistent...not so much for the window after expiry. As I recall, the "lady boss" at the Chok Chai 4 office told me the window for renewing/upgrading was one year.

1 year seems reasonable.

I believe that the renewal of an existing 5 year license MUST be done before expiry date.

Great to get it so fast!

1 year seems reasonable.

I believe that the renewal of an existing 5 year license MUST be done before expiry date.

The renewal for all Thai drivers license one yr and five yr you must wait until it expires. If you renew before it expires they will only issue a one yr. license.

Barry

As the title says. Today went to the licensing office and turned up at 10.40am Was given the number 52 at the little desk at the front.

Had my number called out 2 mins later. Handed my docs over, pictures taken. Walked out at 11.10am with two licenses in my mitts.

Docs I had were passport with two copies of ID page and Visa page with TM6. Two medical reports (100 baht each) on Soi Theprrasit.

I was not asked to do any 'tests' such as perception, colour etc........basically straight in and out.

Very efficient service.

Last I heard from friends that the medical certificate was NOT required. Did they just take them because they were proferred or are the obligatory? Thanks if anyone can clarify.

The renewal for all Thai drivers license one yr and five yr you must wait until it expires. If you renew before it expires they will only issue a one yr. license.

Barry

The license expiry date is always at the end of the month that you had it issued in. You should renew it during that month before it expires.

To renew a one year license to another one year license or indeed a one year license to a 5 years license requires no tests.

To renew a five year existing license to another 5 year license requires color, co ordination and braking tests.

This topic has been repeated houndreds of times both here and in the "motor" forum.

All members have different experience, some get new DL within 30 minutes, others gets alot of hassle from the staff.

I renewed my 5 DL not long ago and got a 1 yr (due to TR visa only), but had to take the color test, braking test etc!

One office told me "must renew before expire date".

Other office told me "must wait to DL has expired".

The simple answer is that the staff dont know the rules, and afraid to ask their boss when in doubt.

Meet them on a "good day" and you're in/out in 1 hour.

Next day might be very different (see earlier topics about DL).

Last I heard from friends that the medical certificate was NOT required. Did they just take them because they were proferred or are the obligatory? Thanks if anyone can clarify.

To be honest I don't know if it was a requirement. I got them because at 100 baht apiece it seems to be a little money to avoid possible delays/returns.

They took them off me anyway (at the front desk) and placed them all together in a stapled file to take upstairs ready for processing.

I think if in doubt, take the med certificates.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Very efficient service.

Thanks for the tip on timing Phatcharanan. Did even better than you today. Got out of my car at 10 40am. Left the building with my 5 year license (from 1 year) at 10.50. Yes only 10 minutes. Everyone friendly, polite and helpful.

Perhaps only the early birds have to take the tests.

For information I took copies of everything, but I only needed:-

Passport (Picture page, entry stamp and departure card

Certificate of Residence from Imigration

Medical Certificate.

They gave me back:-

Visa page from passport

International driving permit.

I think someone on this thread or another one mentioned that going from a 1 year to 5 year there was no testing or videos but going from a 5 year to another 5 year they encountered the vids and tests.

If this is the case then as TIT it makes no logical sense to us.

But what if there is a relationship to age in there somewhere. I believe at one time they gave out lifetime licenses after the second or third renewal and now there is no such thing. Maybe testing is done based on age? Over 50 or 60 or some other magical number?

Very efficient service.

You should have been angry paying 400 baht for 2 residence certificates, they are free. They are only asking for a donation when they ask you for 400 baht. However, that message does not come across clearly, if you are not aware you are only tipping them for service.

Great to get it so fast!

1 year seems reasonable.

I renewed both my 5 year m/cycle and m/ car licenses two days after they expired (expiry date is your birthday) and was given new licenses lasting two days short of 6 years!!

:):D:D

Very efficient service.

Renewed my 5 year license for another 5 years. i had Passport and WP with me. Not a big deal, but havve to make some color and brake tests. After that have to look a movie ( they say one hour movie on CD), but after 20 minutes they called me and i payd my fee, take pictures, etc. all together not more than 45 minutes. Perfect service and very helpful peaple in this place.

Edited by stingray

Very efficient service.

Thanks for the tip on timing Phatcharanan. Did even better than you today. Got out of my car at 10 40am. Left the building with my 5 year license (from 1 year) at 10.50. Yes only 10 minutes. Everyone friendly, polite and helpful.

Perhaps only the early birds have to take the tests.

For information I took copies of everything, but I only needed:-

Passport (Picture page, entry stamp and departure card

Certificate of Residence from Imigration

Medical Certificate.

They gave me back:-

Visa page from passport

International driving permit.

You did well for only 10 minutes. I was delayed because the photo machine thingy got stuck with something. Boy was I mad ! A whole 30 minutes !! Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh ! :D