Question About It Jobs In Thailand

Although this is my first post in the TV forums, I have been reading them for quite some time now. I am interested in living and working in Thailand. Before anyone jumps on me or stops reading ready with a reply, please read my entire post and then reply if you still feel it necessary to do so.

I do not expect to get some glorious expat package or great pay as I am in the field of IT. I am aware this field always has a need, but I am also aware that there are far cheaper options than Americans or any other Farangs for that matter.

As I have read in this forum and many other sites, there always seems to be those statements of, "If a Thai can do it, you can't" or "Unless you have a unique skill or niche that is rare, you will not find work in IT in Thailand".

Well, my question is this: What is that skill? What "thing" in IT is out there that a Thai or other less expensive labor forces cannot do? Or maybe what skill out there does so few Thai or less expensive labor options know that an American or other Farang may be employable?

There has to be something that is just not common enough and not overflowing like the standard desktop support, system administrator or web programmer. I just wonder, what is it?

I pride myself in being able to learn anything and everything very quickly and this question bothers me. The only way to know what IT skill is lacking in Thailand would be people involved locally with the IT work force in some way. So, I hope someone out there in this forum can shed some light on this mystery for me so I can get started.

I have seen plenty of negative posts out there as far as being a Farang and finding work in Thailand. Rest assured my wife is Thai and she and I have talked about this a lot. I really am not trying to get additional education on reasons that we want to go there or on how difficult it is to accomplish the feat of finding work in Thailand as a Farang. It is expected. It would be great to find some Western company that would pick me up with my current skill set (which is actually pretty extensive), but I do not expect some great expat package or high paying job. Financially all is sound, and I would simply like to be able to work when I come. I figure the best way to find work when I come is to get into contact with some people already in place who can tell me about the IT needs today.

I would not appreciate to read the negative comments that I have seen a thousand times before about it being impossible or not worth it to work in Thailand. I do not know it all and am not trying to present that either. I think the majority of people posting here have been positive or helpful, but when it comes to this issue of getting there or working there, I have seen a fair share of negativity that I am not interested in. I can find that anywhere. There are some pretty great people in the TV forums and I am hoping the community here will just help out in answering my question.

So, if there are any IT people in this forum or know some IT people in the industry, preferably other Farangs who have managed the impossible and found work, can you please let me know what IT skill is the most needed in Thailand at the moment? I appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thank you so much!

I pride myself in being able to learn anything and everything very quickly

Your extra newly acquired IT skills won't matter that much ... so, if you are a fast learner ... learn Thai.

Come here, connect with the Thai IT community, and you will find a job.

For more details responses, you might want to post your profile/resume.

Most international schools have a farang in charge of IT support/network management/website design and updating/etc. They are, I believe, classified as teachers and many do some teaching too. This sort of job is open to you.

Yes agree - IT Job in a school is about it, as we are not allowed to do most jobs in Thailand.

Remember companies who employ a Foreigner from USA, UK etc must pay him over 50,000baht as laid down in the labour laws, but they can employ 2 or 3 Thais for that price.

I am a communications Project Manager and have tried many times to no avail, I got into Teaching and am there now, but I feel the time has come to get a good contact job in Comms again, somewhere like the Middle East or Asia Pacific.

Maybe contracting would be a better idea for you, using Thailand as your base.

Edited by beano2274

For any serious development work in Thailand, one has to know the Thai language,

while jewellery factories and hotels are quiet, and therefore IT is generally less demanded,

theres tons of opportunities opened to do Mobile Apps - on new generation 3g stuffs ...

iPhone apps and the likes? Javas on the go

inventory checking, machine controls on 3gs etc.

and in Thai language!

If you have advanced IT skills with Microsoft, Cisco or Security Systems Certifications with viable working experience in these fields, then you might have a shot at working with a bigger multinational or even a Thai telecom company. Those vacancies are still hard to fill within the local market. If you are looking for entry-level or intermediate IT level then I would have to say that the chances are very slim as there are indeed a lot capable locals that can fill these positions.

I haven't met any Thais that know IT. Even ones with computer degrees(e.g. 2 year certificates) think flash and photoshop are hard-core web development tools.

That said, you probably won't get a job in IT because it doesn't exist here. Schools do hire IT teachers but unless you get a top-tier school, you're likely to find yourself working in a computer lab full of viruses, pirated software, and an internet connection flooded with bot-net traffic. You'll spend your first 3 months cleaning computers and get fired shortly after that because you didn't effectively teach 12-year olds how to make their own 3D games.

Any Thais who have IT skills can easily go to another country and make 100x what they would get here.The rest stay here...

Anyway, you asked what skills will land you a big job at a multinational company that pays foreigners to come to Thailand: Answer=Internet censoring and monitoring.

I work in IT in Thailand for a Western Company on an expatriate salary for the past eight years.

Thais are fully proficient in all areas of IT and have great skills. It's not impossible for a good IT person to be on 60-80K per month and then up. Software enginers are amongst some of the highest paid people in their respective companies. As I have to visit many large Thai and Western-owned companies I can say that overall the standard of IT is very high in the country.

Your biggest hurdle to entry is that every Western guy and his (Thai) wife want to get into IT in Thailand. We receive scores of resumes weekly on the off-chance that we might have a position.

Last month I advertised for a IT support co-ordinator and received hundreds of responses from very experience farang IT people, many like you with Thai wives who want to make a life here. None made the short list because there are plenty of suitably qualified local Thai people. The five we interviewed all had excellent English language skills.

In my opinion your best chance is to network with western IT managers who are either in Thailand or have operations here. There's a lot of mates looking after mates in Thai corporate world and you have to break into that circle.

I have managed to live and work in Thailand for 6 years, Phuket, Samui, Prachin and BKK all with a valid work permit and I dont even hold a degree. BKK is abound with Indians that work in I.T. and they require a work pemit also, must add most of them dont speak Thai, my previous company employed at least 12....Get your C.V. up to scratch, check the usual websites and start a bit of networking, sure you will eventually find something if you are flexible enough and have the right attitude.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I was hoping that there was a major need for one type of skill or another, especially since everyone keeps indicating that once a Thai learns a skill needed elsewhere they tend to use that as a way to earn more in another country. I would have thought that might leave a hole in some category or specialty, but it sounds like it is just IT in general whether it be you're a system administrator, help desk, programmer, etc.

I agree that learning Thai is key for employment in Thailand. At the moment I can understand a lot more than I can speak when hearing it, but I must work on speaking it better as well as being able to read script. It is coming along well and my wife tells me that too. Luckily she is not going to tell me it is coming along well if it isn't because she wants me to be able to read and write Thai as well.

I will get a CV posted in the near future. If anyone can think of anything on the IT side (outside of language as I'm working on it already), please let me know or post it here.

Thank you all for your advice and insight.

Strong project management skills with relevant experiences are always welcome, especially within the IT vendors community.

They are always looking for someone capable to rescue their "Titanic" projects.

If you like this kind of challenges, and have what it takes, there is plenty of opportunities around.

When I decided to return to IT work, (or rather my ex 'caused' me to need to return), I looked far and wide for a suitable position. Despite having 2 degrees and many years of experience, it took me almost 2 years to find a job! The only reason why I secured the job was that my skill set included some sought-after skills (SMS text messaging software). The fact that I could speak, read and wite Thai reasonably well and 'understood' Thai culture etc was also viewed very well by my new employers (a US company opening an office in Thailand), since they recognised that I could act as a liaison between the top expat managers and the local Thai staff.

I'm very happy in my new job, but also surprised that it took me such a long time to find employment. I have to say that you might be better off launching your own business, rather than waiting for someone to come along and give you a job offer.

Simon