Obtaining A Thai International Driving Permit

Phatcharanan

I'm a moron. I only renewed my Thai licenses yesterday and completely forgot to askk at the Pattaya branch.............where I can obtain the IDP from?

I have trawled the Motor Forum website and it appears there are 5 Land transport offices in Bangkok. Which one do I use?

And........does anyone know if they can issue the 1926 Convention IDP? Instead of the usual 1949? Reason I ask is that I have to go to Nigeria and they only accept the 1926 one :)

I'm a moron. I only renewed my Thai licenses yesterday and completely forgot to askk at the Pattaya branch.............where I can obtain the IDP from?

I have trawled the Motor Forum website and it appears there are 5 Land transport offices in Bangkok. Which one do I use?

And........does anyone know if they can issue the 1926 Convention IDP? Instead of the usual 1949? Reason I ask is that I have to go to Nigeria and they only accept the 1926 one :)

Mo chit...

Second question Re nigeria...no idea

Mo chit...

Cheers :D

Mo chit...

Cheers :D

mochit. don't know which edition they issue though.

If I understand some of the postings then a UK liscence is good for 3 months yes? So here is the question, if I have got a type O multiple entry visa but still have to do a boarder run every 3 months does that mean my liscence gets another 3 months as well?

There's a driving school on South Roud just up from Foodland and on the same side heading towards Third Road.

They'll get you a Thai IDP for a fee.

Or you can apply by post for one from UK if you have a Brit licence.

Yeah..............been there. They wanted 3000 baht. :) I have to go to Bangkok for a couple of days anyway so thought I would do it then.

Hi,

This is great. I've been living here for about a year now, and find this all very interesting stuff. Piggy-backing on the subject of drivers' licenses, I want to ask your opinion on:

The quickest, cheapest & most generally painless way for me to get:

1) a Thai driver's license

2) an International driver's license

Thanks!

If I understand some of the postings then a UK liscence is good for 3 months yes? So here is the question, if I have got a type O multiple entry visa but still have to do a boarder run every 3 months does that mean my liscence gets another 3 months as well?

Think you misunderstand....a UK/IDP combination is valid for 3 months, not just the UK license on its own, on your other question, jury is still out on that one, I would argue that you are on "O" mutli then you are classed as "resident" therefore, you get one shot 3 months and need Thai DL...

But suppose it could be argued that the 3 months starts again when you border jump.

Personally I wouldnt bother d*cking around with UK or UK/IDP's if you are resident, just go and do a Thai DL..its easy

Think you misunderstand....a UK/IDP combination is valid for 3 months, not just the UK license on its own, on your other question, jury is still out on that one, I would argue that you are on "O" mutli then you are classed as "resident" therefore, you get one shot 3 months and need Thai DL...

But suppose it could be argued that the 3 months starts again when you border jump.

Personally I wouldnt bother d*cking around with UK or UK/IDP's if you are resident, just go and do a Thai DL..its easy

I would argue that if you are considered 'resident' then you don't need to do the border run, just the 90 day report.

So that by doing the border run you are have a fresh 90 day validity for you IDP.

But I guess it needs someone to be a test case to find out for sure how the BiB or insurance companies see it.