Ex-supremo Threatens Use Of Force If Pardon Blocked

webfact

RED SHIRTS

Ex-supremo threatens use of force if pardon blocked

By THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on August 2, 2009

Chaiyasit: Wedge driven between King and people

Former supreme commander General Chaiyasit Shinawatra yesterday threatened opponents of ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra not to block the move to seek a Royal pardon for his cousin otherwise there could be use of force.

"I do not want to see the country to fall into that situation, but when it reaches one point and they still block the move, then there could be [use of force], which I do not want to happen,'' he said.

Asked when that would happen, Chaiyasit said that in his analysis a political change could happen in October.

He said the move to block the red shirts from seeking a Royal pardon would be seen as distancing the monarchy from the people.

"This is the desire of 5 million people. It is the voice of the people. They should not block them,'' he said.

He ruled out allegations that some people had been duped into giving their signatures, saying it was impossible that any one could fool 5 million people.

"Do not monopolise loyalty to the King, because the people and the monarchy are one. The King is their last resource for help,'' he said.

Leaders of the campaign for Thaksin claimed yesterday that 5.4 million signatures had been collected from supporters of a petition for a Royal pardon.

Supporters of the fugitive ex-premier began gathering at Sanam Luang on Friday afternoon to conclude their signature campaign. The 5.4 million signatures collected were far more than the one million they initially targeted.

Last October, Thaksin was sentenced by a court to two years in jail in connection with the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, in which his then wife bought a coveted state-seized plot at a price far lower than the market value.

Meanwhile Kwanchai Priapana, chairman of the Udon Lovers Club, said yesterday that Thaksin would return to the country within six months because he was confident that the Democrat-led government would not survive political storms longer than that.

Kwanchai said Thaksin had told him this when he took a team of Thaksin supporters to visit him in Dubai on Tuesday, returning on Friday morning. He said Thaksin had also told him he would phone in to his community radio programme at 10am on Monday because that was Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's birthday.

In a related development, Thepthai Senpong, Abhisit's personal spokesman, condemned Thaksin for pressuring the monarchy by using his supporters to create bargaining power in his own interest.

"When will the red shirts stop? What they are doing has aggravated the situation and widened conflict in the country,'' he said.

He said many sectors of society opposed the move by the red shirts to seek a Royal pardon for Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/02

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I smell civil war... :) sounds like "Armageddon" or is it simply saber rattling? I hope for the latter for the sake of this country!

And all because of one selfish square headed devil! Best thing for the latter to do would be go walk about in the desert and preferably take his cousin with him!

'reconciliation' = bring one man back into power and save the 2b $ he obviously is going to lose!

in order to achieve "reconciliation" they even threat to use force

What a disgrace! I am speechless. All these "events" remind me on something which took place

in history and happend some 70y ago in a German speaking country...

Edited by webfact

'reconciliation' = bring one man back into power and save the 2b $ he obviously is going to lose!

What a disgrace! I am speechless. All these "events" remind me on something which took place

Is he the next one to flee the country?

:)

Theres about 65 million thais in Thailand. Assume that 30% of them are either too young to vote. That still leaves in excess of 45 million voters (assuming they can all be bothered).

They have 5 million signatures, even if that number tripples they still dont have the numbers on a single preferred based party vote.

Lets get real about this........its time for Mr T to do the only honerable thing left for a japanese man.....i think they call it hurry curry - GOOD RIDDANCE!

time to call elections

But then the powers that be would have to find another reason to kick out a Thaksin nominated party when they win. They'd be scouring the electoral rulebook like crazy!

"Let's see. Aha! This guy once bought a shirt from a shop that was owned by the cousin of the brother of a friend of Thaksin's next door neighbour's niece. Conflict of interest! Disqualified!"

As a former supreme commander, General Chaiyasit Shinawatra should know the law is pretty clear on this. NO pardon can be given until the individual has served part of his sentence. So, get your cousin to come back and do some jail time then submit your pardon. At this point it's legally not possible to pardon Thaksin and the laws of the land should stand otherwise ever drug running hilltriber will also be entitled to the same thing.

This whole signature thing is merely a show of force.

Its not a threat, its an opinion if you read it.  It could result in some problems if blocked. Maybe by October.  WOW! how easy it is to twist things they way we like. Fact is some people take strong offense when the basic human right of redress is washed over by petty self-serving interpretations of anal rules.  I know but but but but   Nice piece of mud sling.  and its nothing like Germany unless you are referring to the current and on going purge of thought going on around the papers and news media from the government sources and the support of the PAD that is posted here daily...  

The Reds just don't want to return to the old mafia,  They like the one they had.  Its not that hard to understand.

I see that when some yellow shirt says jump the PM asks how high.   Out with that cop and its done, no proof of wrong doing required.  It least we can now see who the real PM is.

Were making progress in getting it all sorted..

PS I don't think Thaksin wants back in as PM because as a business man he knows the product image is damaged.  He just wants to get off the hook and move on a free man.  They got what they wanted they took over the country, now lets just let it go and move on.  Its the normal people that will suffer for these child like I must win actions on the part of a few whom won that power and now have no idea what to do with it..   Try leadership.

This is the other shoe dropping.

The money pile is on the block now and the family is getting desperate.

The Thaksin attempts to stack the military deck his way were only partly successful,

but cousin ex-supreme leader is hoping enough people believe they still have

enough leverage to 'make a move' but this is more insurrection talk.

Threatening to use force if an illegal petition is blocked?

What are they going to march on the Royal Household Bureau

and demand that the thing be trucked into the palace??

LM writ large for sure.

The clan is getting desperate and the clock is ticking.

Interesting and dangerous times ahead sadly.

This phrase "the basic human right of redress" echoes a phrase in the US Bill of Rights. Thaksin had his constitutional rights, which he exercised and was convicted upon his appeal. He will have the right to beg for a Royal Pardon after serving part of his Thai term in a Thai jail.

They already tried using force during Songkran and failed miserably.

This is more serious ,

he is implying calling in his army subordinate chips...

not more street violence alone....

adding renagade army units still loyal to him... he hopes

Yes bullys for sure.

Here they go again. Playing with fire. Yet another hail mary pass. They don't have a coherent plan, but on the other hand, they know that Abhisit doesn't have the political support to crush them. Imagine what would happen to an insurgent general in a more stable country?

Edited by Jingthing

time to call elections or cut a deal with Thaksin

i dont see reconcilliation happening any other way.

Do you mean you can see all the forces opposing Thaksin rolling over and admitting defeat, from Prem to Sondhi to PAD foot soldiers????

How's that going to play out in your "vision"?

Do you mean you can see all the forces opposing Thaksin rolling over and admitting defeat, from Prem to Sondhi to PAD foot soldiers????

How's that going to play out in your "vision"?

a pardon (possible but unlikely) will neutralize prem, sondhi and the pad foot soldiers. the hard liners will find themselves isolated.

if a pardon does come about it would be part of some "deal" including a lot of face saving.

Eight Thaksin haters preceded your message mc2. Trying to get a read of this board...that is 8-1. Ya have to admire the power of agenized media when they have a captive audience.

The powers that be are really spooked by five million, three hundred thousand petition signatories...How to deprive them is a problem. So far, just ignoring them has worked for the most part, aided and abetted by their friends, but such petition responses is difficult to deal with reponsibly.

Even on this board, I have suggested a number of mediative/negotiated responses to the petition, and you have suggested some excellent alternatives. The compromised Thaksin-haters on this board can only reply with invective and vitriol, because that is all they are fed by what they read.

I challenged them several times to come up with politically astute response possibilities to the petition, but got nothing. They are just too hide-bound to the mindset that has been formed by what they have been reading the past three years.

Edited by Ferwert