Sleep And Thai Lads

dukkha

:) To make it specific I will refer to gay thai men whom i have observed, however, think it is endemic in the entire thai culture....I have observed over the years living here the sleep habits of thai men.

It amazes me. The positions in which they can sleep. Knees up in the air. Sleeping on a chair in front of the computer, easy.

My partner is practically a contortionist when it comes to sleep positions. Is it only me? I dont think we westerners can drop off so easily as the thais, to sleep that it. I have often thought it might be chronic depression behaviour but I think not. Have seen three lads sprawled on a couch, all asleep...is it the weather, something in the genetic make up, laziness, real exhaustion...dunno but fascinates me still...there is a fluidity about the asian body language I like. Not the uptigtness of the west, shirt tucked in with a sensible belt...and of course we have all looked at the face of Angels, in some cases, who just close their lids and lay with uber ease...Dukkha :D

I like this post. Never thought much about the bf sleeping habits as I thought him to be unique - but apparently he is not! I went through my photos and could only find a few, though not as funny as the OP. Just thought I would share.

:)

I like this post. Never thought much about the bf sleeping habits as I thought him to be unique - but apparently he is not! I went through my photos and could only find a few, though not as funny as the OP. Just thought I would share.

:D You see flight crew....Glad i am not the only one to observe...I think we just dont have it in the Western gene make up..

I think we should start a Sleeping Gallery, I reckon we could put up some great shots, like the ones already posted....The Great Thai Sleep 2009.

The most common situation in which you'll see young Thai men asleep...

post-21740-1249380937_thumb.jpg

And if you're a teacher, you'll see some of the most gawd-awful sleep positions at the end of any boring lecture...

post-21740-1249381007_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

The most common situation in which you'll see young Thai men asleep...

post-21740-1249380937_thumb.jpg

And if you're a teacher, you'll see some of the most gawd-awful sleep positions at the end of any boring lecture...

post-21740-1249381007_thumb.jpg

Just my opinion: you start sleeping, if it is just boring. Will it be a boring job or a boring lecture or .... (you are) a boring non-important company.

Imagine, how much difficulties I have in Thailand. I am just sleeping 4 hours a day (only when I am lazy), which already no Thai can handle/understand. Much more problems for me, if I don't need any sleep when it is NOT boring :)

Edited by vreemd13

Just my opinion: you start sleeping, if it is just boring. Will it be a boring job or a boring lecture or .... (you are) a boring non-important company.

Imagine, how much difficulties I have in Thailand. I am just sleeping 4 hours a day (only when I am lazy), which already no Thai can handle/understand. Much more problems for me, if I don't need any sleep when it is NOT boring :D

I understand the philosophy of life you propose:

"If it is boring, I can sleep.

It doesn't matter to anyone else.

I am relieved of any responsibility."

:)

post-21740-1249450278_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

I've lived here for 12 years and have always been fascinated by the sleep thing. In fact, I joke to friends that it would make an interesting pictorial book - "Thais Asleep." Except, you would need a camera with you 24 hours a day, capturing everything from taxi drivers who nod off at the wheel, to waiters asleep on their feet (not kidding)!

Not only can they sleep in a multitude of positions; they can fall into a sound sleep within a minute or so. Another interesting thing I've noticed, having had a few of them around me over the past decade, is that they can also remain in one position for hours, if not all night. No tossing and turning for this lot.

:) pdavids...that is just my point, they are at ease and thus the same position for long periods does not disturb them in any way....to be so comfortable in your own skin allows you to sleep as you wish...we just dont have it in the West....sadly..

I've lived here for 12 years and have always been fascinated by the sleep thing. In fact, I joke to friends that it would make an interesting pictorial book - "Thais Asleep." Except, you would need a camera with you 24 hours a day, capturing everything from taxi drivers who nod off at the wheel, to waiters asleep on their feet (not kidding)!

Not only can they sleep in a multitude of positions; they can fall into a sound sleep within a minute or so. Another interesting thing I've noticed, having had a few of them around me over the past decade, is that they can also remain in one position for hours, if not all night. No tossing and turning for this lot.

My guy piles pillows on his head when he sleeps. :D You know, those little square ones. I'm talking about 5 or 6 of them. :D He does toss and turn alot though.

Btw, he would KILL me if he found out I posted pics of him sleeping. Do I dare risk it? :)

My guy piles pillows on his head when he sleeps. :D You know, those little square ones. I'm talking about 5 or 6 of them. :D He does toss and turn alot though.

Btw, he would KILL me if he found out I posted pics of him sleeping. Do I dare risk it? :)

Risk it...but don't tell him! LOL! My bf would kill me if he knew I posted his pics on here! LOL!

Sorry; forum rules: "15) Not to use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy,..."

What's the difference between posting pictures of your partners and posting pictures of your or somebody elses kids? Don't children have the same right to privacy?

Bureaucracy gone mad.

Hmm, I can almost see up his shorts.

No, I'm joking. I know what you mean about weird sleeping positions. I'll post some photos of my step son when I lash out and buy some new batteries for my camera.

Very zen indeed. :D

It's quite easy to sleep. Just close your eyes, empty your mind and relax. I think we Thais practised this by meditation since we were young. Only difference is that in meditation, you focus on one thing. To sleep, you focus on nothing. :D

I once asked my b/f why it took him so long to fall asleep (it usually took him half an hour after light-off to sleep), he just said that there were many things in his mind and he needed time to shake them off. I have a complex and demanding work as well, but I don't have much problem to clear my head when needed. I'd credit that to the meditation training.

About the position, I'm not sure if I can do the one with legs on the wall, but I can sleep on a chair with my legs over the armrest, or on my back on the floor with my legs on the bed, or "the thinker" pose (convenient in lecture room or library). Somehow most Thais like to sleep with their arms and legs bent (I just looked at old photos or me and my friends). How the other parts of the body will be is up to the environment and imagination. I'm glad many people here find that cute instead of weird. lol :D

Just my 2 cents :)

Very zen indeed. :D

It's quite easy to sleep. Just close your eyes, empty your mind and relax. I think we Thais practised this by meditation since we were young. Only difference is that in meditation, you focus on one thing. To sleep, you focus on nothing. :D

I once asked my b/f why it took him so long to fall asleep (it usually took him half an hour after light-off to sleep), he just said that there were many things in his mind and he needed time to shake them off. I have a complex and demanding work as well, but I don't have much problem to clear my head when needed. I'd credit that to the meditation training.

About the position, I'm not sure if I can do the one with legs on the wall, but I can sleep on a chair with my legs over the armrest, or on my back on the floor with my legs on the bed, or "the thinker" pose (convenient in lecture room or library). Somehow most Thais like to sleep with their arms and legs bent (I just looked at old photos or me and my friends). How the other parts of the body will be is up to the environment and imagination. I'm glad many people here find that cute instead of weird. lol :D

Just my 2 cents :):D Spend more than 2 cents, refreshing to read the thai take on it...I have never found it weird, just fascinating how asians seem to have a fluidity, physically, that I find absent in the West...its one of the reasons I live here, there is no hard edge to interaction that I find in the West..especially amongst homophobic males of whom the West can boast many....