Teaching Conversational English And Grammar In Phuket

Hi,

I have been researching a suitable TEFL course for the last few months. In that time, I've gathered a lot of information that is confusing the heck out of me.

Some sites tell me that all I need is a TEFL certificate to teach conversational English and grammar in Thailand but then there are other sites that tell me I need to have a BA in education, a teachers qualification, and according to some sites, I have to sit an exam before embarking on a TEFL career.

I don't want to teach the other subjects. I'm just interested in teaching little ones how to grasp the English language in a conversational way and to be able to hold there own. I'm also interested in teaching adults the English language.

The ITTT site pretty much explains that I don't need any previous teaching experience to do the 100 hour TEFL course which is my gateway to teaching in Thailand, well anywhere overseas. After the initial introductory course, I understand that they will assist me in getting a teaching role. I figure it is probably better to do the 250 hour online course as well.

Does anyone have any clearer ideas they are willing to light my direction with? I am a tad confused, and I don't want to be paying money for a couple of courses that may not net me a move toward my goal.

I look forward to the replies.

Hi,

I have been researching a suitable TEFL course for the last few months. In that time, I've gathered a lot of information that is confusing the heck out of me.

Some sites tell me that all I need is a TEFL certificate to teach conversational English and grammar in Thailand but then there are other sites that tell me I need to have a BA in education, a teachers qualification, and according to some sites, I have to sit an exam before embarking on a TEFL career.

I don't want to teach the other subjects. I'm just interested in teaching little ones how to grasp the English language in a conversational way and to be able to hold there own. I'm also interested in teaching adults the English language.

The ITTT site pretty much explains that I don't need any previous teaching experience to do the 100 hour TEFL course which is my gateway to teaching in Thailand, well anywhere overseas. After the initial introductory course, I understand that they will assist me in getting a teaching role. I figure it is probably better to do the 250 hour online course as well.

Does anyone have any clearer ideas they are willing to light my direction with? I am a tad confused, and I don't want to be paying money for a couple of courses that may not net me a move toward my goal.

I look forward to the replies.

Degree (any B.A will do) + teaching certificate (TEFL,Celta,etc) needed to obtain a work permit. Also, you will need a police clearance report from your home country before they issue you with a work permit. Good luck and have fun, it can be a fantastic and very rewarding job.

Well you need a work permit.. So that in turn needs a degree..

Of course many work illegally without them.. But thats your call.

LivinLOS, the people who are working illegally are those who are working without work permits. You DO NOT need a degree to get a work permit so working with a work permit but without a degree is not working illegally.

Well you need a work permit.. So that in turn needs a degree..

Of course many work illegally without them.. But thats your call.

LivinLOS, the people who are working illegally are those who are working without work permits. You DO NOT need a degree to get a work permit so working with a work permit but without a degree is not working illegally.

Agree with skybluestu. A mate of mine just got a job teaching English at a government school. He was an engineer in the UK, but never finished his degree. Nor does he have a TEFL certificate. But the school desperately needed English teachers, so they hired him and got him his work permit. What I hear is that he took to it like a duck to water; he's very happy in the job, and the school is happy with him. He now says he wishes he had taken up teaching instead of engineering!

Best of luck in your pursuits.

At the top of the forum are a number of pinned topics you might want to review. These include topics on qualifications.

You do not need a TEFL and you do not need a degree. However, in some areas (where I work), they will not issue the WP to anyone without a degree. Other places they do. I have never run into any gov't agency which requires a TEFL, but it is a very handy tool in the classroom.

Best of luck to you.