Marriage In Thailand, Visa To Emigrate To Sweden

Hi all,

My wife has a friend who's getting married to a Swede in November, here in Thailand (no really, it *is* a friend - who speaks almost no English).

I've searched online and within TV about what paperwork is needed to get a marriage visa to emigrate from Thailand to Sweden, but no luck. There's stuff about the Schengen visas, but I don't think that's what she's looking for, since that's only for 30 days, I think. Or does she go into Sweden on a Schengen and then change for a visa by marriage? She'll certainly need to know what paperwork to bring with her when she applies.

Also, Sweden has three Honorary Consulates in Thailand, as well as their embassy in BKK. Does anyone know if the Honorary Consuls are more immigration friendly than the embassy, or vice versa?

To answer the obvious question of why am *I* doing this - because I've gotten so much great info from TV about Thai immigration, regs, and laws. Plus, the friend is pretty clueless, just wants to go to the embassy in BKK cold calling with no idea what paperwork she'll need. She's a nice lady, and I don't mind going out of my way to help her. I've met her fiancee, seems like a decent guy, but pretty much as clueless as she is - it's a match made in heaven lol...

So, these really are serious questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask the friend to contact her boyfriend in Sweden requesting him to contact

Swedish Migration Board, Norrköping, Tel. 0771 235235

Hereby all information can easily be obtained. They should be prepared for a lot of paperwork but if all papers are ok everything should work out fine.

If the Thai lady is not good in English I suggest she gets assistance from professional people in this business – there might be some in the same building as the Swedish Embassy.

Edited by tominchaam

Hi all,

My wife has a friend who's getting married to a Swede in November, here in Thailand (no really, it *is* a friend - who speaks almost no English).

I've searched online and within TV about what paperwork is needed to get a marriage visa to emigrate from Thailand to Sweden, but no luck. There's stuff about the Schengen visas, but I don't think that's what she's looking for, since that's only for 30 days, I think. Or does she go into Sweden on a Schengen and then change for a visa by marriage? She'll certainly need to know what paperwork to bring with her when she applies.

Also, Sweden has three Honorary Consulates in Thailand, as well as their embassy in BKK. Does anyone know if the Honorary Consuls are more immigration friendly than the embassy, or vice versa?

To answer the obvious question of why am *I* doing this - because I've gotten so much great info from TV about Thai immigration, regs, and laws. Plus, the friend is pretty clueless, just wants to go to the embassy in BKK cold calling with no idea what paperwork she'll need. She's a nice lady, and I don't mind going out of my way to help her. I've met her fiancee, seems like a decent guy, but pretty much as clueless as she is - it's a match made in heaven lol...

So, these really are serious questions, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My only connection with Sweden is that one of my best friends is a Swede, but I do know that Sweden is VERY tough now on immigration!

I STRONGLY advise that the friend of your wife's friend (the Swede) hires a professional immigration Lawyer/agency in Sweden who will/can arrange for all necessary documents. They will guide the Swede what to do and what not to do. They know the rules and chances.

The fact that the couple knows already when to marry but have no clue about paperwork shows the Embassy will draw their sword and kill the whole adventure before they can have another breath.... :D

PREPARE!!! before marriage. To think that marriage will change their chances for the better for immigration to Sweden underestimate the rules en laws of Sweden; they don't care if you're married or not.

It is very kind of you to try and help but if you are not experienced with immigration laws etc.......better take your hands off the case.

It's too complicated and before you know it will consume a lot of time and energy and you will end up in having arguments with your own wife..... :)

LaoPo

Thanks to all for your quick and very helpful responses. Eff1N2ret, I did google, and saw www.swedenabroad.com, but the name and the fact that it wasn't a .gov or .se made me think it was just a third-party site. It turned out to be very helpful.

Based on all your advice, I've just told my wife I'm washing my hands of this, and why. I'll forward the information gathered to the Swede (who has pretty good English) and let him take it from there.

Again, many thanks to all!

Mods, please feel free to close this topic now.

Hi all,

My only connection with Sweden is that one of my best friends is a Swede, but I do know that Sweden is VERY tough now on immigration!

Nearly all countries in Europe, Schengen or not, EU-member or not, are sharpening immigration laws.

And are fervently plugging loopholes found by enterprising would be immigrants.

The EU-parliament, not so long ago, under pressure from anti immigration parties and sentiment in Europe, decided that the unbridled entrance of economic.....ehhhhhhh, driven people, should stop.

That is why it is getting more and more difficult for well meaning people to obtain permission to stay.

However, I think that the Schengen countries agreed that the maximum period of stay would be 3 months for those that are guaranteed by someone with a nationality (and some other papers) of one of the member countries.

I gather that even Switzerland is now having the Schengen rules.

However, one of the loopholes that are unpluggable, is that if one of the would be immigrants is a national of one of the member states of the EU, to register for stay in one of the countries of the EU not being his or her own country, and then applying for a EU-permission to stay for your partner.

Valid in all EU-countries, and surpassing national rules.

You have to find out for yourself what country would be best.

My guess is Belgium, at the moment, however, the Dutch speaking part is less cooperative as the French speaking part.

Germany might also be easier, but I have no further information about that country.

Rumour in the legal fraternity of immigration lawyers in Holland is that the "new" EU-Member states might be easier to get results, for a price?. (Romania, Bulgaria)

The not caring if you are married mentality of officialdom is not entirely true, if married in the country where you live, under European rules, a lot of things change, for the better.

Sometimes, referring to or using EU-laws is very helpful, because those nearly always surpass national laws.

Problem is that you can mostly only do that outside your own country.

I STRONGLY advise that the friend of your wife's friend (the Swede) hires a professional immigration Lawyer/agency in Sweden who will/can arrange for all necessary documents. They will guide the Swede what to do and what not to do. They know the rules and chances.

The fact that the couple knows already when to marry but have no clue about paperwork shows the Embassy will draw their sword and kill the whole adventure before they can have another breath.... :D

PREPARE!!! before marriage. To think that marriage will change their chances for the better for immigration to Sweden underestimate the rules en laws of Sweden; they don't care if you're married or not.

It is very kind of you to try and help but if you are not experienced with immigration laws etc.......better take your hands off the case.

It's too complicated and before you know it will consume a lot of time and energy and you will end up in having arguments with your own wife..... :)

LaoPo

Edited by hansnl

I assisted a friend of my wife with a settlement visa to Sweden a few years ago. The process went something like this: Sponsor applied for settlement paperwork in Sweden and approval to marry a Thai National (not quite sure about this approval to marry thing, but that's what he told me), sponsor came to Thailand, married his g/f and then submitted the application for settlement in Bangkok. He then returned to Sweden. 2 months later his wife had to attend an interview at the embassy in Bangkok. At the interview she was informed that the application would take a further 6 months to process. The application, including a transcript of the interview and recomendation by the ECO was then send to Sweden Immigration. The sponsor then received a detailed questionnaire to complete and return to the Immigration board. Once they had checked his answer's to the questionnaire against his wife's interview questions and found all to be correct (plus finance and accommodation etc) the settlement visa was issued. Time line from submitting application to receiving the visa was 10 months. Good luck.

Thanks to all for your quick and very helpful responses. Eff1N2ret, I did google, and saw www.swedenabroad.com, but the name and the fact that it wasn't a .gov or .se made me think it was just a third-party site. It turned out to be very helpful.

Based on all your advice, I've just told my wife I'm washing my hands of this, and why. I'll forward the information gathered to the Swede (who has pretty good English) and let him take it from there.

a friend in need is a pest. :)

If they haven’t changed the immigration law doing the last 3 years, no big problem to go to Sweden, it much more difficult to Denmark, where I come from and many Danish who can’t get residence permit for their wife go to Sweden.

I thing the basic is more or less the same, this is how to do it in Denmark, I think it about the same procedure, but check at the immigration in Sweden. He should invite her by letter and she can then apply for a 3 month tourist visa, after married go to immigration and apply residence upon marriage.

/Claus

a friend in need is a pest. :D

Yup, can be a pain in the neck, oftentimes lower :) A lot of times it's hard for me to say 'no' and sometimes a lot of good comes out of it. After reading the good responses here, I can't see anything good coming out of this one, for me and my wife at least! But I say good luck to the both of them, hope they can get it together quickly.

a friend in need is a pest. :D

Yup, can be a pain in the neck, oftentimes lower :) A lot of times it's hard for me to say 'no' and sometimes a lot of good comes out of it. After reading the good responses here, I can't see anything good coming out of this one, for me and my wife at least! But I say good luck to the both of them, hope they can get it together quickly.

Tell your swedish friend to check out : www.thailandsforum.se

He will surely find all answers to his questions there.