Windows 7

Tywais

Microsoft Windows 7 (Professional) RTM (Release to Manufacturers) Review - cnet

Deserved or not, Microsoft had dug itself a cool, deep, dark hole with Windows Vista. Users demanding that Redmond extend the life of Windows XP wasn't exactly something they could be proud of, either. Bombarded by complaints and negative press even after the first service pack was released, the bar had been set high for Vista's successor: Windows 7. This review is based on an official copy of the Windows 7 RTM that Microsoft provided to CNET on July 30, 2009

Luckily for Microsoft, Windows 7 is more than just spin. It's stable, smooth, and highly polished, introducing new graphical features, a new taskbar that can compete handily with the Mac OS X dock, and device management and security enhancements that make it both easier to use and safer. Importantly, it won't require the hardware upgrades that Vista demanded, partially because the hardware has caught up, and partially because Microsoft has gone to great lengths to make Windows 7 accessible to as many people as possible.

Source: cnet

Just read it. IMHO the upgrade from XP to W7 can easy turn into a nightmare and end in disaster if not done with caution

Fast reader webfact. :) Does look like it could be complex for non technical people. Hopefully they have a "hold my hand" guide as the upgrade is being done.

I have been using Windows 7 and could be happy with it. The main question is if I will be willing to spend $300 for it. I don't think it is worth $300 more than XP Pro. My XP Pro works quite well.

I have Windows 7 on a spare hard drive.

ADDED - I won't be buying Windows 7 unless my XP Pro can be upgraded for a reasonable price.

Edited by Gary A

Windows 7 is easier and simpler to install than XP, why are some people so afraid of change?

I think it's more the "I hate Microsoft" attitude.

Now, a practical question -- I am almost ready to buy a new desktop. When can we expect to see W7 preinstalled on HPs here in Thailand?

Windows 7 is easier and simpler to install than XP, why are some people so afraid of change?

I think it's more the "I hate Microsoft" attitude.

Now, a practical question -- I am almost ready to buy a new desktop. When can we expect to see W7 preinstalled on HPs here in Thailand?

Nobody in this thread is bashing M$ or shows a "hate M$ attitude". Why???

I trust to install a clean W7 is easy. If someone has only to reinstall 3 programs... thats indeed easy. If someone has to install 10, 20, 30 or more programs

its not that easy. You want to maintain the settings as well. I only can speak for myself. I need certain programs for my business. A complete new installation for [1 computer only

can take up 2-3 days! So, people will look for an upgrade. Tywais confirmed what I posted before. Someone need to have a certain level of computer know-how/skills to do this upgrade installs properly.

And I strongly doubt Mr. Average User has this level of know-how. That was my point and nothing else!

Afraid of change? It's not the change, it's the $300 to replace something that already works fine.

Afraid of change? It's not the change, it's the $300 to replace something that already works fine.

Okay, so why change?

I have never changed operating systems on a computer, just gone with whatever came with a computer when I bought it.

Can windows 7 handle 8 gigs of ram natively or do I need to get a 64 bit version like Vista?

You will have to use the 64-bit version.

Sorry for the dumb question, but will software I have for XP work on a W7 64 bit?

If your software is only designed for 32 bit it certainly won't here's a list (not updated - guess its 4y old)

64bit

So all program that worked on 64bit Vista should work fine on W7.

My best advise is check the programs for technical requirements.

Not sure W7 64bit comes with a 32bit compatibility mode. The W7 gurus on this board will know it better.

My guess is - if you have run XP 32bit for a long time you need to upgrade your software.

Not every software is ready yet. Sure is you don't need any hardware upgrade

Edited by webfact

Not sure W7 64bit comes with a 32bit compatibility mode. The W7 gurus on this board will know it better.

My printer that was running happily on 32bit XP hated 64bit 7, running it in xp comaptabilty mode on 7 is fine.

Can windows 7 handle 8 gigs of ram natively or do I need to get a 64 bit version like Vista?

You will have to use the 64-bit version.

Sorry for the dumb question, but will software I have for XP work on a W7 64 bit?

If your software is only designed for 32 bit it certainly won't here's a list (not updated - guess its 4y old)

64bit

So all program that worked on 64bit Vista should work fine on W7.

My best advise is check the programs for technical requirements.

My guess is - if you have run XP 32bit for a long time you need to upgrade your software.

Not every software is ready yet. Sure is you don't need any hardware upgrade

Webfact, thanks for that link.

Most of my 'work' software will work okay, but I couldn't find some of my favorite strategy games .. especially my beloved Civ II.

I am running Windows 7 RC 64 bit and I agree best ever, as for 32 bit programs I have not found one that does not work and I have a lot of stuff on the computer Inc MSoffice, forex trading, shoot em up games, etc. I have other computers still running 32 bit with vista and 7RC When get RTM 7 for them they will all be 64 bit. All the 32 bit software goes into a 32 bit program file dir, I was told a few years ago that I may have trouble finding 64 Bit drivers but that has never been a problem.

I once bought an HP that had Windows ME installed. THAT'S why I changed. :)

Windows ME was quite the abortion! Had to revert my desktop to the 98 platform so I didn't have to suffer through the daily crash syndrome.

$300.00 would ndrive me away from the purchase since XP runs fine.

Running W7 32bit RTM for more than a week now. Happy with it. At the beginning had problem with Novatel MC930D USB modem but now problem solved and everything works fine. Almost all the programs used before working fine on W7 except Zone Alarm firewall (so far doesn't support W7).

But after mid-October, when official sales of W7 will begin I think we'll see new versions compatible with W7.

If someone want to give a try W7, I can share DVD. So far can use it for 150 days for free. First 30 days free, and then able to rearm for another 30 days 3 times continuously, what gives these 150 days. Four months are enough to decide if would like to buy licence or not.

There is no possible reason to run any 64bit O/S in a regular environment.

Do you consider using Adobe Photoshop or a video editing program to not be a "regular environment." Those apps could definitely take advantage of >4GB RAM.

Currently, 64-bit OS's are less a target of malware, but of course, that could change in a heartbeat.

BR>Jack

There is!

It can impress your less advanced friends aka "I only run the windows 7 Ultimative, mega giga supercomputer 64 bit version and in December I'll change to the windows 8 pre pre alpha 128 bit version"

BR>Jack

There is!

It can impress your less advanced friends aka "I only run the windows 7 Ultimative, mega giga supercomputer 64 bit version and in December I'll change to the windows 8 pre pre alpha 128 bit version"

:D

attached with portable power plant and a 5000W generator!

BTW I am not a M$ hater... :)

• 2 weeks later...

windows 7 huh, I've been using the RC for playing with. For anyone who has had to reinstall an OS all over again and i've down it with windows xp. Windows 7 works much better. Install is easy, less time consuming and at least it found all my drivers for me. But i'll put it this way for windows 7. As someone who got a mac osx back in 2006 windows 7 reminds me in a way of mac os x. Its a shame that microsoft takes so long to do anything right it seems. My only reason I'll be getting windows 7 and pay for it. If you run a business where you are running a server for business use. I refuse to deal with windows xp anymore, plus i'm looking at the purchase as a 5 year deal. Consumers may not go for it. But as a consumer If i'm not interested at least I'm knowledge enough to use linux ( ubuntu ) at home.