Bangkok Airways Crash in Koh Samui

SilentReader

Many Survivors from Bangkok Airways crash on Samui

Published: 4/08/2009 at 03:16 PM - http://bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/151089...rashes-on-samui

A Bangkok Airways plane is reported to have crashed at Samui aiport. Ten people are reported to have died.

Flight PG 26 crashed on arriving from Krabi province, according to TV reports.

The plane swerved off the runway and crashed into a building near the control tower.

Initial reports said 10 people were believed killed and at least 41 injured.

Department of Civil Aviation director-general Kannika Dechatiwongse said 68 passengers and four cabin crew boarded the plane but there was no cnfirmation of death.

[Earlier reports indicated only 1 person dead]

=========================================

Previously posted image enlarged and enhanced (not retouched) for clarity:

bkk_air_crash2009_CU_big.jpg

EYEWITNESS REPORT from a friend of mine with a view of the airport & runway: a BKK air flight skidded off the runway when a freak wind & rain storm that came through this afternoon causing the plane to hit a building near the runway (ironically it is the building used to house the fireman & their equipment -- this was NOT the control tower). This eye-witness with a direct view of the airport & airplane reported that the cockpit was chard and black (apparently burnt), but he saw no fire or smoke on the outside.

There were masses of fire-trucks, ambulances and hundreds of people at the site assisting within minutes. Fortunately, there are 3 major international hospitals all within 10 minutes of the airport.

All our prayers and best wishes to those on board and their families and thanks to the emergency crews & hospitals here who are already taking care of the injured.

Edited by Chua

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the quick picture Carlos. Also thanks Thaivisa for the breaking news e-mail, otherwise I wouldn't have known 'til much later.

It's now being reported on the BBC website;

Several wounded in Thai jet crash

_45343195_breaking_226x170.gif

Several passengers have been injured after a Thai domestic airliner skidded off the runway and hit a control tower on a popular tourist island. The Bangkok Airways flight with about 70 people on board crashed during landing on Koh Samui, reports said.

A company official told reporters that all passengers were evacuated, but said an unspecified number were wounded.

The plane was arriving from the western Thai town of Krabi, which is also a popular tourist destination.

"The plane just pinched the control tower but there was no fire," Sakchai Jorpalit, district chief of the Thai tourist island, told the French news agency AFP.

He said most of the wounded were tourists, adding that some were hospitalised with non-life threatening injuries.

An airport official told the Associated Press that it was raining heavily when the plane landed around 1400 local time (0800 GMT).

The resort island of Koh Samui lies some 300 miles (480km) south of Bangkok.

The Thai TV news just reported that the pilot was killed, there are 4 people in a coma, and about 20 more were

injured, some quite seriously. Too bad. Bangkok Air had such an excellent safety record, and really excellent

equipment. I will continue to support them, as they do a very good job.

That this flight got landing permission is out of my understanding.

The weather conditions have been terrible, heavy gusts and heavy rainfalls.. at this time...

and the airport is known for bad low-level wind shear...

Plane skids off runway on Thai tourist island

Tuesday, 4 August 2009 09:38

A number of passengers were injured when the Bangkok Airways plane they were travelling on skidded off a runway and hit a control tower on the Thai tourist island of Ko Samui.

'The accident occurred around 2pm and some passengers have been wounded but all have been evacuated and hospitalised,' Sakchai Jorpalit, district chief of the Thai tourist island, told AFP.

'The plane just pinched the control tower but there was no fire,' he said, adding that most of the injured were tourists but none was seriously hurt.

Advertisement

The flight was an internal one from the western town of Krabi, which is another popular tourist in the Asian country.

Bangkok Airways flies three times a week between the two tourist spots using 70-seater Turboflot aircrafts.

-- rte.ie 2009-08-04

What would have been an alternative course of action for the pilot?

I am sure there are contingency plans for these kinds of situations.

Is there any clarity on the number of casualties? (Why is there such a massive breakdown in communication about these things?)

That this flight got landing permission is out of my understanding.

The weather conditions have been terrible, heavy gusts and heavy rainfalls.. at this time...

and the airport is known for bad low-level wind shear...

sounds like Phuket accident all over again. But when you own the airline and the airport guess it's an easier call no?

BANGKOK AIR 266 -- Thai Aviation Authority confirms only the pilot died in the plane crash at Koh Samui's airport. 7 were injured.\

-- Agencies 2009-08-04

Why in the World would the Bangkok Post jump the Gun & report an initial 10 dead like they did do about an hour ago ??

Absolutely dispicable, shame on you Bangkok Post.

Half right & half wrong. An ATR72 is actually a prop-jet aircraft, in that there's actually a jet turbine engine which powers the propellors.

No, all wrong. Those are not classified as a jet. It's a turboprop.

Which is powered by what? A gas jet turbine. But would settle for it being called a turboprop-jet perhaps.

Irrelevant really & more importantly would like to add my sympathy to those who have been injurred & lost their lives in this unfortunate accident.

I think it's a bit early to start slagging off....Samui is notorious for sudden cross winds, and I wouldn't doubt the weather was the major factor here

There is huge commercial pressure to put the rubber on the tarmac whatever the conditions.

One dead, seven hurt as Thai plane slides off runway

Tue Aug 4, 2009 4:47am EDT

BANGKOK: -- One person was killed and seven injured when a commercial plane slid off a runway into a disused control tower on the Thai tourist island of Koh Samui on Tuesday, police said.

The Bangkok Airways plane flying from the southern Thai resort of Krabi left the runway while landing in heavy rain.

"It hit an unmanned control tower," the island's police chief, Colonal Saharat Saksilpachai, told Reuters. "It's possible the dead person might be the pilot."

reuterslogo.jpg

-- Reuters 2009-08-04

Airliner hits control tower on landing

BANGKOK: -- A domestic airliner crashed into the air traffic control tower after landing today on the popular Thai resort island of Samui .

There were no immediate reports of casualties aboard the Bangkok Airways flight.

The official said there were at least 70 people aboard when the plane skidded off the runway and hit the tower. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the press.

The official says the weather was poor with rain falling at the time of the landing.

Thai television Channel 7 said at least half a dozen people remained on the plane. The others were evacuated and there were no reports of casualties.

Samui, located 298 miles south of Bangkok, is an island in the Gulf of Thailand popular with foreign tourists.

-- AP 2009-08-04

[quote name='RKASA' post='2918930' date='2009-08-04 16:06:28'Water is softer then a runway,  when did you last land one full of people.  My cardo doc is just fine and Thai.  It could be a case of the get there syndrome.  Push the conditions a bit to much because you don't want to take 70 people some place else and hear them bitch about it.

I echo this sentiment and that of those that have already mentioned it.

I bet the pressure on the pilots to land is huge, who with all their massive experience, must be terrified landing in those conditions and do the best they can. Someone already mentioned this airlines particularly good safety record.

I've asked already, and it would be interesting to find out. In these situations, especially on a small island like Samui, what are the contingency plans when weather is so bad that a landing could bring about an accident. What can they do?

I would assume they have enough fuel on board to make it to another airport... I really would like to know.

Condolances to the Pilot's family, a sad loss. Prayers for those that are hurt.

Seconded.

This is the second plane that Bangkok Airways has lost landing on Samui. One went down trying to land in bad weather soon after the airport opened.

About 40 injured passengers of Bangkok Airways rushed to Bangkok Samui Hosptial

About 40 injured of Bangkok Airways' doomed flight PG266 were rushed to the Bangkok Samui Hospital.

The hospital could be reached at Tel 077429500.

Another hospital on the island is Samui Hospital which can be reached at Tel 0-7742-0902, 0-7742-1399.

The Nation

Water is softer then a runway,  when did you last land one full of people.  My cardo doc is just fine and Thai.  It could be a case of the get there syndrome.  Push the conditions a bit to much because you don't want to take 70 people some place else and hear them bitch about it.

I bet the pressure on the pilots to land is huge, who with all their massive experience, must be terrified landing in those conditions and do the best they can. Someone already mentioned this airlines particularly good safety record.

I've asked already, and it would be interesting to find out. In these situations, especially on a small island like Samui, what are the contingency plans when weather is so bad that a landing could bring about an accident. What can they do?

I would assume they have enough fuel on board to make it to another airport... I really would like to know.

go to an alternate airport - surathani, very close.

Condolances to the Pilot's family, a sad loss. Prayers for those that are hurt.

Seconded.

This is the second plane that Bangkok Airways has lost landing on Samui. One went down trying to land in bad weather soon after the airport opened.

normally is very bad weather they could rerout to Surat Thani or go back to where they came from I guess....possibly circle around and around as the turbulence of rain squalls etc can pass quite quickly.

Having sailed around that area, you can get some VERY strong gusts and unpredictable air movement. Similar to some other airports around the world; even Surat Thani have had problems.

My thoughts are with all the passengers and families of the injured and deceased.

About 40 injured passengers of Bangkok Airways rushed to Bangkok Samui Hospital

About 40 injured of Bangkok Airways' doomed flight PG266 were rushed to the Bangkok Samui Hospital.

The hospital could be reached at Tel 077429500.

Another hospital on the island is Samui Hospital which can be reached at Tel 0-7742-0902, 0-7742-1399.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-04

Half right & half wrong. An ATR72 is actually a prop-jet aircraft, in that there's actually a jet turbine engine which powers the propellors.

No, all wrong. Those are not classified as a jet. It's a turboprop.

Which is powered by what? A gas jet turbine. But would settle for it being called a turboprop-jet perhaps.

Irrelevant really & more importantly would like to add my sympathy to those who have been injurred & lost their lives in this unfortunate accident.

A turboprop is powered by a turbine engine, but its not a "jet". The term "jet" implies an aircraft which is propelled by a turbofan or turbojet engine. Turbofans and turbojets propel the aircraft with thrust from the engine, turboprops propel the aircraft with a propeller.

Water is softer then a runway,  when did you last land one full of people.  My cardo doc is just fine and Thai.  It could be a case of the get there syndrome.  Push the conditions a bit to much because you don't want to take 70 people some place else and hear them bitch about it.

go to an alternate airport - surathani, very close.

I think you're right, I live in Surat and at the same time there were cloudy skies, but little heavy wind and or rain.

I sincerely hope this isn't a case of ground control providing clearance in unsuitable conditions just trying to stick to their schedule. Such a shame.