British Citizenship

Namphonny

I would be grateful if anyone can clear up my lack of understanding on this. I am British with a Thai wife and live in Bangkok. Our son was born here and I registered his birth at the British Embassy who issued a birth certificate. Does this mean that he is a British citizen? or do I have to make an application for British citizenship separately from registering the birth? Many TIA.

I would be grateful if anyone can clear up my lack of understanding on this. I am British with a Thai wife and live in Bangkok. Our son was born here and I registered his birth at the British Embassy who issued a birth certificate. Does this mean that he is a British citizen? or do I have to make an application for British citizenship separately from registering the birth? Many TIA.

He is a British Citizen, you do not have to apply for citizenship.

The only problem comes later in life as with dual nationality some countries like the Child at 18 years of age to decide between one or the other.

I don't think the Embassy is qualified to issue a birth certificate.

I too registered my son's birth at the embassy in BKK, and the document they issued was useful when I applied for a passport.

He came to Germany on a Thai passport, but the Germans insisted that I obtain a British passport.

Now he has two.

SSSHH!!!

Edited by mahtin

Sounds like you have already got the birth certificate from the Embassy. Next step is to apply for his passport, it's pretty easy, the hardest part for me was getting my daughter to stay still enough to take the photo! :D The passport is the equivalent of £70 thereabouts, you'll need the same paperwork as what you submitted for the birth certificate pretty much. Oh and it takes about 4 weeks. In short, the answer to your question is yes, he is a British citizen. :)

Edited by DagonKhan

The child is automatically a UK citizen? - are we sure about this?

My understanding is that the child may well qualify for citizenship, but an application has to be made first before the citizenship is granted. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

As for "dual nationality" issues (which I am sure about): in respect of Thailand its a non-issue nowadays - Thailand doesn;t object to Thai's having another citizenship, but what dual nationals need to keep in mind (yes - I know its not part of the original question, but it always comes up) is that, not withstanding their other citizenship they are legally Thai citizens if/when in Thailand - and the old trick of entering into Thailand using the other citizenship passport/ID is firstly illegal and secondly, offers the individual no "protection" or "right" to claim or use that other citizenship.

The only problem comes later in life as with dual nationality some countries like the Child at 18 years of age to decide between one or the other.

fortunately, neither Thailand or the UK have any restrictions on this matter.

My understanding is that the child may well qualify for citizenship, but an application has to be made first before the citizenship is granted. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

As for "dual nationality" issues (which I am sure about): in respect of Thailand its a non-issue nowadays - Thailand doesn;t object to Thai's having another citizenship, but what dual nationals need to keep in mind (yes - I know its not part of the original question, but it always comes up) is that, not withstanding their other citizenship they are legally Thai citizens if/when in Thailand - and the old trick of entering into Thailand using the other citizenship passport/ID is firstly illegal and secondly, offers the individual no "protection" or "right" to claim or use that other citizenship.

Yeap...Child concerned is a British citizen, The Childs Children may or may not qualify for British citizenship, dependent on the circumstances..

In the case of Thai / British, there are absolutely no problems with dual nationality whatsoever. I'm one, and my kids are too:

1) You can use the consular birth cert that you got from the embassy to apply for a British passport any time. You will need photos, one of which is signed on the back by a witness in a responsible position.

2) You can use the Thai birth cert to register with the Thai authorities and then get a Thai passport.

Your child will hold both passports. Assuming that you are flying out, use the Thai passport to enter and exit Thailand and the Thai or British passport to enter the destination (usually British is best as no visa requirement).

It's really easy, and it is legal. Don't worry about the rumours, and stand your ground and ask to see a supervisor who knows the law if Thai immigration tries to hassle you. Something that has never happened to me, or anyone I know.

One condition to note regards your child's British (but not Thai) nationality. Unless you are in Thailand on UK Crown service (such as diplomatic or HM forces), your child's national status will be 'British Citizen by Descent'. It will say only British Citizen on the passport, and all the normal rights of citizenship apply, except one: any children that your child has will not be entitled to British citizenship unless they are born in the UK. You should make your child aware of this once he or she is old enought to understand, unless the law changes, of course.

Edited by dbrenn

Yeap...Child concerned is a British citizen, The Childs Children may or may not qualify for British citizenship, dependent on the circumstances..

The child may already be a 'Childs Children' as you put it, we don't know the circumstances of the OP, but I guess the British Embassy would not issue a British birth certificate if it were not eligible for British Citizenship.

Yup - you are correct: it is indeed automatic - "by decent". ..... but that their children would not automatically be a UK citizen? - can someone explain.