Online Lottery Lawful

saintofsilence

Now that the Thailand online Lottery has been ruled lawful by the Council of State as printed in the Bangkok Post today, will that now allow expats to play online lotto for Australian and UK lotterys etc.

I like to buy lotto online but in the regulations of one lotto provider it states purchasing online lotto from a country that rules online gambling illegal can deem the ticket purchase not legal and payment can be stopped " not the exact words but thats what it is basically saying".

Hopefully this new ruling will now let us buy our tickets without the worry of not getting paid if our numbers come up.

Now that the Thailand online Lottery has been ruled lawful by the Council of State as printed in the Bangkok Post today, will that now allow expats to play online lotto for Australian and UK lotterys etc.

I like to buy lotto online but in the regulations of one lotto provider it states purchasing online lotto from a country that rules online gambling illegal can deem the ticket purchase not legal and payment can be stopped " not the exact words but thats what it is basically saying".

Hopefully this new ruling will now let us buy our tickets without the worry of not getting paid if our numbers come up.

The problem I fear is not in Thailand but overseas, some places will not pay out on a winning lotto ticket, if the winner is not a legal resident of that particular country/state etc...

The problem I fear is not in Thailand but overseas, some places will not pay out on a winning lotto ticket, if the winner is not a legal resident of that particular country/state etc...

don't think so, at least in the West.

BTW Italian national lottery's jackpot is 110 million Euros! So, if someone wins that because of my hint now, PM me... :)

If I remember correctly, the "online lottery" as used in Thailand refers only to special machines provided by a concession holder (Loxley) which will be directly linked to the central GLO building in Bangkok. There will still be no opportunety to purchase lottery tickets other than by individual sellers or these remote machines. Thailand will still have laws governing internet based gambling, and the ruling by the Council of State, will have no effect on these rules and regulations.

This is the message I received from the UK Lottery, after I created a direct debit (from my UK bank account)

"... We would therefore advise you to only buy your tickets online when you are actually located in the UK or Isle of Man. This also applies when playing by text and through Sky Active.

Things change, so it's a good idea to make sure your details are still up to date. Please remember, you need to be resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times throughout the period of your online Direct Debit and when you play UK National Lottery Games through your Interactive Account."

I am a UK citizen but reside in Thailand at present - So I have cancelled my direct debit.

Edited by chickenslegs

This is the message I received from the UK Lottery, after I created a direct debit (from my UK bank account)

"... We would therefore advise you to only buy your tickets online when you are actually located in the UK or Isle of Man. This also applies when playing by text and through Sky Active.

Things change, so it's a good idea to make sure your details are still up to date. Please remember, you need to be resident of the UK or Isle of Man at all times throughout the period of your online Direct Debit and when you play UK National Lottery Games through your Interactive Account."

I am a UK citizen but reside in Thailand at present - So I have cancelled my direct debit.

Yes funny that isnt, it, they wil let you play and take your money but wont pay out if you win, sounds thai almost dosent it !,.

From what I understand from the Australian Lotto is even if you are just on holiday in Thailand and put your numbers in online it is classesd as illegal.

Surely not. Can they tell where you put the numbers on?

Absolutely, just log your IP address :)

There are notices all over the UK Lottery site now, shame they can't just publish a list of where it is not permitted to play online.

I will be cancelling my subscription, I'll get Mum to do one for me instead.

From what I understand from the Australian Lotto is even if you are just on holiday in Thailand and put your numbers in online it is classesd as illegal.

Surely not. Can they tell where you put the numbers on?

Absolutely, just log your IP address :D

There are notices all over the UK Lottery site now, shame they can't just publish a list of where it is not permitted to play online.

I will be cancelling my subscription, I'll get Mum to do one for me instead.

What about money put on with Ladbrokes? http://www.ladbrokes.com/home/th I guess this webpage is for all Thais outside Thailand :)

This thread is hilarious - it seems everyone has the same plan to play lottery online while living/being in Thailand until they strike it lucky! I love the comment from the moderator with 7000+ posts about getting his Mum to play for him! Bless his cotton socks - reading that gem made my day!

Any nationalized lottery company can ONLY pay out to residents of that country, who are actually in the country whilst buying the ticket.

Do people really think they are just going to swan back home to collect when they win? C'mon, grow up!

This thread is hilarious - it seems everyone has the same plan to play lottery online while living/being in Thailand until they strike it lucky! I love the comment from the moderator with 7000+ posts about getting his Mum to play for him! Bless his cotton socks - reading that gem made my day!

Any nationalized lottery company can ONLY pay out to residents of that country, who are actually in the country whilst buying the ticket.

Do people really think they are just going to swan back home to collect when they win? C'mon, grow up!

If that is your home country of course you should be able to go back home and get your winnings

Why ?.........if you can play and they will take your money shouldnt they pay out if you win, ? :) Edited by SMEEERE

If that is your home country of course you should be able to go back home and get your winnings

Good point, the majority of expats are just extended tourists in the eyes of the thais at least,.