Work Permit Cancelled And Extension Of Stay

Hi all.

I have been an reading thai visa for many years now. Informative and very entertaining.

My question is to do with my work permit, extension of stay and re-entry permit.

My present contract ends on the 31st of August. Having had it for 2.9 years

My work permit will be canceled on the same day.

I have an extension of stay valid until the 1 Aug 2010.

Also a re-entry permit valid until 1 Aug 2010.

I understand the extension of stay also gets canceled on the same day my work permit does.

Does it make any difference because I have a re-entry permit?

Can I still use this extension of stay to re-enter Thailand because of my re-entry permit.

I have searched but I have been unable to find the answer to this exact question.

Thanks in advance :)

Your WP will terminate on the day your employment ends. Your employer should provide you with a letter to take to Immigration. As you are on extension of stay you must also leave the country on the day your employment ends, unless you apply for 7 day extension at immigration on termination day. The re-entry stamp does not change matters. You will have to re-enter the country on a new visa or visa exempt stamp.

You didn't mention it and I don't think this is the case but just to be sure: All of the above is correct unless your extension of stay is based on marriage. In that case, your extension of stay doesn't end when your WP is terminated.

I am not married.

One more question. My company has informed me they require my passport to cancel my extension of stay and will return it to me on the day my work permit is canceled. Is this correct?

I am not married.

One more question. My company has informed me they require my passport to cancel my extension of stay and will return it to me on the day my work permit is canceled. Is this correct?

1) Your employer should send a letter to the Labour Department advising them your employment is terminated. Your employer may ask for your WP back.

2) Your employer should provide you with a letter addressed to immigration advising your employment has been terminated. You take that to immigration with your passport on your last working day. You have to leave the country same day unless you apply for 7 day extension.

You must leave that day if you do not extend and face overstay charges if they don't get it back to you in time. They have no right to your passport and I would not take a chance of them losing it for a few days. If they would like to go with you (afraid they will get in trouble if you do not report) I would agree to that. But it is your passport.

Thanks thaipoon.

So I assume my company do not require my passport. Correct?

They do not need your passport, but it will seriously screw you up if you gave it to them and it is not returned by your final work day and you will face overstay charges. Remember is your passport.

Thanks thaipoon.

So I assume my company do not require my passport. Correct?

They do not need your passport, but it will seriously screw you up if you gave it to them and it is not returned by your final work day and you will face overstay charges. Remember is your passport.

Technically it acutally belongs to Queen Elizabeth 2, But she does not often ask for it

I thought it was no longer necessary to physically hand back the WP?

If it has expired then no need to return. If still current then technically it should be returned to Labour Department for cancellation (but mixed messages have been posted - different offices, different opinions).

I wouldn't think however you were in Thailand before wouldN'T matter. How can immigration check? You're supposed to leave by the day it says in your passport.

Leave a few days before and go on a tourist visa run. (Give your passport to a Thai company that you're quitting or they're firing you or going out of business - that sounds reaaaal smart)

Edited by monty

Maybe not your priority at the moment but under the new alien labour law that came into force in Jan 2009 you are entitled to get your cancelled WP back and keep it for your records. I just changed jobs and the company HR guy cancelled my old WP for me but didn't ask the officer for the old WP back, as I had instructed him to. When I went to sign the new WP I insisted on getting the old WP back. It was a little bit of a hassle and done with slightly ill grace. It involved locating the officer who had cancelled it and asking her to get it. I'm sure it would be virtually impossible to get the old one back if you allow more than a few days to lapse after the cancellation. I got it back because I am entitled to keep it under the law and I suspect that some day in the future I may need to produce it to prove I worked legally for that period.

Officials at the Labour Ministry are also reluctant to apply the new regulation that allows two year WPs. The wording of law simply states that 2 year WPs are permitted without stipulating any conditions. However, the officials fall over backwards to make excuses not to issue the 2 year WP and have introduced their own non-transparent guidelines based on company size and status to limit the number of 2 year permits they approve. Suffice it to say that 2 m baht companies will never qualify. So save yourselves the trouble of filling in the additional paperwork.

Ministry officials seems to be striking back at parliament's mild liberalisation of the WP laws by introducing the syphilis test requirement for new WPs without informing the medical community.

I am not married.

Do not surrender your passport! Provide the company with a photocopy of the pages they claim that they need. Ask them for the written instructions that require them to obtain your passport. Keep in mind that so long as you do not have your passport in your possession, you are stateless.