Best Place For Eye Glasses

randomchase

:) i know this has been done to death in the past ,but where do members recomend

to buy reasonably priced,good glasses.{eyes for the use of] :D thanks Random

]

As you say, it has been done to death. Since you are obviously too lazy to do a search, the consensus seems to be:

Vision Center, Rajvitthi Rd, halfway between the UN Irish Pub and Moon Muang Rd.

/ Priceless

In general, opticians don't repair frames anymore. There just aren't any replacement parts on the market.

There is a opticians shop in Chiang Mai near Art Cafe (2 shops down with a car rental in between) and Thapae Gate that fixes my glasses all the time. She just sold me a replacement arm for 300 baht and then glued another pair a few days later. I make sure to buy ALL my frames and lenses from her as she is helpful and honest and most people go to the mall for glasses these days.

There is a opticians shop in Chiang Mai near Art Cafe (2 shops down with a car rental in between) and Thapae Gate...

:) i know this has been done to death in the past ,but where do members recomend

]

As you say, it has been done to death. Since you are obviously too lazy to do a search, the consensus seems to be:

Vision Center, Rajvitthi Rd, halfway between the UN Irish Pub and Moon Muang Rd.

/ Priceless

He's not too lazy..he just told you his eyes were buggered..help him !

:) I am moved to be p.....ed off with you poster , lazy,??? and i use my personal income to help provide aid, where its needed . first, today i am planting trees in chiangmai. with others, during the week iv been building water filters for a childrens home, plus many other tasks, as I am a "chiangmai friend ", check it out, i could give you something to google BUT, thaitanics to you, :D

oh yes i tried vision center, last year didnt work for me, plus san paton market same.on site, at the market good,and inexspensive, but the optician ,sold me a "titanium" ? frame that turned out to be just a memory metal so it could take some miss use but just retuned to its original set .This year

I was looking for good deal,and quick, the place i was posted about last year has closed , was told there was an on site production place in one of the supermarkets ?? and I do not have the the time to "'troll" round help was what i wanted :D random

Pity the Vision Centre didn't work for you, Chiang Mai hero. Your requirements must be different than those of everyone else. I guess you require spectacles that see only your deeds as good deeds, indeed.

I needed a pair of reading glasses in a hurry a couple of years ago, after I'd had mine nicked in Phnom Penh... ended up with a pair from the opticians next to Pantip Plaza. Didn't expect the price to be so high in LOS - £200 or thereabouts. Pretty much the same as in Europe (not off-the-shelf). Got a free watch... except it only worked for a week.

Need another pair now. Are prices pretty much the same everywhere in CM for a pair from a 'proper' opticians', rather than a supermarket job?

Okay, my two cents's worth. You really should get a MEDICAL exam even if you can't spell ophthalmologist (surgeon-MD). Then take the script to an oculist to grind lenses. Sripat is excellent but the best is Dr. Rachada or Rashada, who is now at Chiang Rai Ram I. And once you can see clearly, she's the prettiest. :)

On the Nimmanhemin is an optician shop as well. It's located in between the BKK bank and Papparazi (sp.???) restaurant.

I got my glasses there.

Nienke, they don't work very well. You said I was a handsome, well built, young man when we met last time at Tuskers.

Perhaps it is your glasses that don't work so well, Binky as I was the one who said that to you.. :)

I could be mean to the OP and suggest Top Charoen at Kad Suan Kaew but will not. I lost over 6k THB with those folks and am just now ready to try another.

I am with Peace Blondie as to getting an Opthalmologist's exam, as I have just done, prior to heading for an Optician. Going thru life with a white cane just ain't my style..

Like others, I was very pleased with the glasses and service from Vision Center. They may not be the cheapest place around, but I thought the man who seems to run the place did a very thorough job.

He's not out to make a quick baht, either. Hubby visited and after an exam was told his prescription was still good and he didn't need anything new -- no charge. A friend broke her frames and was told by two of the chain operations that the frame couldn't be fixed and she'd need to buy new glasses. She went to Vision Center and the man said "well, let me see what I can do. I don't know if I can fix them, but it won't hurt to try." He fixed them and sent her on her way in 10 minutes -- no charge.

However, while my exam was very thorough, it bothered me that he didn't dialate my eyes and check for glacoma, cataracts and whatever else they look for when they peer into your eyes. I was told that opticians can't do this in Thailand. So, during my next annual physical at a hospital, I made an appointment with an ophthalmologist, had my eyes dialated and the MD peered in (looking for signs of intelligent life?). The MD said I should have that type of exam every two or three years.

Like PeaceBlondie, I encourage the OP to get a medical exam if he's not getting good results from opticians. Also, everyone over age 50 should have an MD examine their eyes every few years.

Like others, I was very pleased with the glasses and service from Vision Center. They may not be the cheapest place around, but I thought the man who seems to run the place did a very thorough job.

He's not out to make a quick baht, either. Hubby visited and after an exam was told his prescription was still good and he didn't need anything new -- no charge. A friend broke her frames and was told by two of the chain operations that the frame couldn't be fixed and she'd need to buy new glasses. She went to Vision Center and the man said "well, let me see what I can do. I don't know if I can fix them, but it won't hurt to try." He fixed them and sent her on her way in 10 minutes -- no charge.

However, while my exam was very thorough, it bothered me that he didn't dialate my eyes and check for glacoma, cataracts and whatever else they look for when they peer into your eyes. I was told that opticians can't do this in Thailand. So, during my next annual physical at a hospital, I made an appointment with an ophthalmologist, had my eyes dialated and the MD peered in (looking for signs of intelligent life?). The MD said I should have that type of exam every two or three years.

Like PeaceBlondie, I encourage the OP to get a medical exam if he's not getting good results from opticians. Also, everyone over age 50 should have an MD examine their eyes every few years.

Vision Centre does not have the equipment to do the glaucoma check (Thai's are not interested in having it done until they are blind and then wonder why)

And you do not have to have your eyes dilated to have the glaucoma check.

CMR will probably dilate your eyes "not because it is necessary but it brings in more revenue, and before someone tells me I am talking shyt I have had glaucoma tests done in both Australia and NZ the home of one of the most noted opthalomogists in the world one "Fred Hollows born in Dunedin, NZ and later adopted by Australia"

You don't need your eyse dilated for a glaucoma check "full stop"

But you will need to go to CMR to have the test done although I am sure that there are one or two other places in CM which can run it.

AND, a glaucoma check should be done every two years and not just "every few years"

Ann, BB he really did come from Dunedin and we let you have him :)

Edited by john b good

Vision Centre does not have the equipment to do the glaucoma check (Thai's are not interested in having it done until they are blind and then wonder why)

And you do not have to have your eyes dilated to have the glaucoma check.

CMR will probably dilate your eyes "not because it is necessary but it brings in more revenue, and before someone tells me I am talking shyt I have had glaucoma tests done in both Australia and NZ the home of one of the most noted opthalomogists in the world one "Fred Hollows born in Dunedin, NZ and later adopted by Australia"

You don't need your eyse dilated for a glaucoma check "full stop"

But you will need to go to CMR to have the test done although I am sure that there are one or two other places in CM which can run it.

AND, a glaucoma check should be done every two years and not just "every few years"

Ann, BB he really did come from Dunedin and we let you have him :)

Appreciate the info John B. It's time then for me to go to CMR and get the eyes checked.

Topic cleaned up. Let's stick to answering the OPs question rather then pointing fingers and making inflammatory remarks.

As for Vision Center not doing Glaucoma tests. They've done it for me every time I've gone for an exam. It's the basic puff of air in the eye to check intraocular pressure.

Topic cleaned up. Let's stick to answering the OPs question rather then pointing fingers and making inflammatory remarks.

As for Vision Center not doing Glaucoma tests. They've done it for me every time I've gone for an exam. It's the basic puff of air in the eye to check intraocular pressure.

You are the best, Tywais - always on top of things..

I am off to the Vision Center this week to trade my white cane in for a new set of peepers and will report back.

I am NOT, however, giving up my computer interactive voice recognition software as she and I have developed a deep and meaningful relationship... :)

• 1 year later...

So are we saying that the 'Vision Centre' is a safe bet to get some straightforward glasses and having a test by someone with a bit of experience?

Need to get some, went to restaurant tonight next to a large pond, thought mosquito landed on my forehead, went to flick it off, hit the glasses and you guessed it....'splosh' Goodbye glasses!

Gutted!

]

/ Priceless

Vision Centre. Full stop.

• 10 months later...

]

/ Priceless

Has Vision Center moved? I walked from the UN Irish Pub to the moat yesterday and could not find it. Could be me though as I do need new glasses....

]

/ Priceless

Has Vision Center moved? I walked from the UN Irish Pub to the moat yesterday and could not find it. Could be me though as I do need new glasses....

UPDATE: They were closed yesterday and found it today so they are indeed in the same place. I agree with the posters who recommend this place. Excellent service and value.

In general, opticians don't repair frames anymore. There just aren't any replacement parts on the market.

There is a opticians shop in Chiang Mai near Art Cafe (2 shops down with a car rental in between) and Thapae Gate that fixes my glasses all the time. She just sold me a replacement arm for 300 baht and then glued another pair a few days later. I make sure to buy ALL my frames and lenses from her as she is helpful and honest and most people go to the mall for glasses these days.

There is a opticians shop in Chiang Mai near Art Cafe (2 shops down with a car rental in between) and Thapae Gate...

Maybe if you bought them some place else they might not need repairing. I have owned mine for 10 years and 8 years and never had to have them repaired. I bought them in Canada.

So are we saying that the 'Vision Centre' is a safe bet to get some straightforward glasses and having a test by someone with a bit of experience?

Need to get some, went to restaurant tonight next to a large pond, thought mosquito landed on my forehead, went to flick it off, hit the glasses and you guessed it....'splosh' Goodbye glasses!

Gutted!

Vision center

I took my wife there. They checked her eyes and said she needed glasses for both distance and reading. She already had that figured out so she asked for bifocals. He recommended not doing it that way instead buy two pair of glasses. Doing that she got the best of both and we saved a thousand baht.

That's good. They seem really fair there. I stopped at a different shop yesterday and was quoted 32,000 baht for the same thing I got today for under 9,000 baht. Titanium frames and progressive bi-focal lenses.

I'll second the recommendations for Dr. Rachada for periodic exams and Vision Center for glasses. Both top notch.

A question: Sometimes a cheap pair of 2.0X or 2.5X work quite well as reading and computer glasses. Nothing fancy. Basically you are putting a mild set magnifying glasses on your nose. Anyone know where to find those? Opticians don't like to sell those because there is no profit in doing so. I've not had luck lately with a few drug stores which I recall sometimes have displays of such glasses at their entrances.

Edited by Mapguy

I'll second the recommendations for Dr. Rachada for periodic exams and Vision Center for glasses. Both top notch.

A question: Sometimes a cheap pair of 2.0X or 2.5X work quite well as reading and computer glasses. Nothing fancy. Basically you are putting a mild set magnifying glasses on your nose. Anyone know where to find those? Opticians don't like to sell those because there is no profit in doing. I've not had luck lately with a few drug stores which I recall sometimes have displays of such glasses at their entrances.

Night bizar or Mae Sai. :)

Just bought a pair of 2.0X at the shop that sells all Japanese

goods at Nim City Daily Mall near the airport,

Only 65bht and just as good at the ones I paid Bht 6K for,

Just use them for reading and its good to have 2nd pair.

regards Worgeordie

I've also got glasses from vision centre and have been very impressed with their service. These were my first glasses, therefore I don't have much to compare them to. Has anyone here had any experience with the chain opticians like Beautiful Optical etc? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper and nearly always have promotions.

MP