Question About Thai Driver's License

phetaroi

I pretty much understand the procedures and requirements about getting a Thai driver's license. I am on a retirement visa.

The one I don't understand is: "Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau or work permit."

What does that mean?

Thanks

I pretty much understand the procedures and requirements about getting a Thai driver's license. I am on a retirement visa.

The one I don't understand is: "Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau or work permit."

What does that mean?

Thanks

You need to go along to your local immigration bureau for a proof of residence certificate, take your rent book or wifes tabian baan, copy of your passport, two photos some say it's free but cost me 500 baht. The certificate is good for one month only if you don't use by then you'd have to apply for another.

If you go to Bangkok Immigration office (Suan Plu) to get the resident certificate it should be free, at least it was when I got mine a couple of months ago. They did request B100 for the postage as they will mail the certificate to you, via EMS, in about two weeks. The only thing required was your passport and a copy of the data page and your visa. The other option, if you're from the USA, is to go to the Consulate, American Services Section, and they will issue the resident certificate immediately for $30.00.

If you go to Bangkok Immigration office (Suan Plu) to get the resident certificate it should be free, at least it was when I got mine a couple of months ago. They did request B100 for the postage as they will mail the certificate to you, via EMS, in about two weeks. The only thing required was your passport and a copy of the data page and your visa. The other option, if you're from the USA, is to go to the Consulate, American Services Section, and they will issue the resident certificate immediately for $30.00.

I dread the drive down to Suan Plu, well the parking there, so try to avoid it. Didn't want to pay the U.S. Embassy that $30. So I tried my local amphur, Thanyaburi in this case, who were accommodating and I got a short letter from them attesting to my address. My wife went with me with her blue book.

This was several years back, then I heard of the yellow tambien ban, got one, and have used it since, quick and easy.

Mac

You need to go along to your local immigration bureau for a proof of residence certificate, take your rent book...

Rent book? Would my copy of the signed contract leasing the condo for one year do?

Should do you just need something official in writing showing where you live.

You need to go along to your local immigration bureau for a proof of residence certificate, take your rent book...

Rent book? Would my copy of the signed contract leasing the condo for one year do?

Should do you just need something official in writing showing where you live.

I worked for me. Mine cost 500 baht, in Chiang Mai, and took less than 20 mins.

A few months ago, I went to the local administration in Belgium to renew my IDP. I was told that this was not necessary anymore for Thailand due to a new agreement between Thai and EU.

But did your loacal administration in Belgium inform the BiB in Thailand yet?

A few months ago, I went to the local administration in Belgium to renew my IDP. I was told that this was not necessary anymore for Thailand due to a new agreement between Thai and EU.

Since 2007 there is an agreement between Thailand and Belgium about the recognition of the Belgian driving driver's license. The result is that the Belgian document can now easily be changed for a Thai license. The Thai embassy in BRU pointed out that this is only practical for Belgians who stay minimum one year in Thailand.

I find it easier to ask an IDP every 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2007 there is an agreement between Thailand and Belgium about the recognition of the Belgian driving driver's license. The result is that the Belgian document can now easily be changed for a Thai license. The Thai embassy in BRU pointed out that this is only practical for Belgians who stay minimum one year in Thailand.

I find it easier to ask an IDP every 3 years.

I just got here 2 months ago and took my Belgian licence (the old-fashioned one with my picture of 38 years ago) to the office there, did the paperwork, paid the fees, did the eye and reaction tests and walked out with a Thai licence 1 1/2 hours later.

It works!

:)

• 2 months later...