Hundreds Line Up For Gpo Swine-flu Vaccine Trial

webfact

Hundreds line up for GPO swine-flu vaccine trial

By The Nation

Published on August 8, 2009

Hundreds line up for GPO swine-flu vaccine trial

Several hundred volunteers have joined an experimental programme designed ultimately to produce a vaccine against type-A (H1N1) influenza, a senior Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO) official said yesterday.

The first 24 volunteers - who will first be treated with FluMist nasal spray - will be announced on August 16, and another 200 volunteers will be selected later for a second test, said Dr Wichai Chokewiwat.

Approval of the human trial is expected to be granted after a GPO board meeting on Tuesday.

There are fears that the outbreak will spread rapidly over the next two months, a period in which common flu usually peaks, said Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai, quoting an analysis by the ministry's Bureau of Epidemiology.

The outbreak period will possibly continue into January and February next year, the connecting period between the wet and cold seasons - also a period for common and seasonal flu.

"But greater public awareness and extensive and more preventive measures already in place can be regarded as positive factors that the outbreak will not get out of control," Witthaya said. He called for good hygiene habits to be maintained - sick people should rest at home and good hand-washing routines should always be maintained.

A new website - www.flu2009thailand.com - offers an interactive test for visitors to check whether they are fine, already have the common flu or the type-A (H1N1) flu.

A government campaign entitled "Join the Power to Fight 2009 Influenza" will soon begin, said Dr Mongkhol na Songkhla, a member of a government committee to curb and control the disease.

The campaign aims to protect more than 33 million people divided into seven sectors: 20 million schoolchildren at primary and secondary levels; millions in university and colleges; 2.6 million commuters using land and marine public transport each day; and 2 million people who are military personnel and their families.

The fifth group are Bangkok residents using public utilities such as pubic parks and markets; 9 million beneficiaries and labourers protected through various social welfare funds and benefits; and members of 6,746 tambon administrative organisation across the country.

Supervisory bodies of each section will work out their measures to protect their members under this government campaign, said Mongkhol.

The committee will initially provide a cheaper hand-washing gel to be provided free to commuters at train stations, subway and Skytrain stations and at piers of passenger boats along the Chao Phya River in Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/08/08

Hello, I hope this will benefit society as a whole. I still do not understand the psychology of the people that volunteer to be a lab rat for a new medicine. Cheers.

The big problem in the world is people who dont understand,and behave that way about "things" that really should b understood.no more or less.

Hello, I hope this will benefit society as a whole. I still do not understand the psychology of the people that volunteer to be a lab rat for a new medicine. Cheers.

Back in the UK they get paid to be a guinea pig.

I won't be taking any of this medicine in a hurry.

Back in the UK they get paid to be a guinea pig.

I won't be taking any of this medicine in a hurry.

My doc recommended the same "wait"

Given that we hardly understand the virus, have no cure for it, this sounds like a bassackwards approach to

exacerbating a very serious unknown, with no absolutes, even less controls & known references.

By the time they are done with this thing, it will be a monster - these are not doctors - we are being played.

Ya wont get me anywhere near these turkeys. Stay fit, eat healthy live foods, hit the vitamins, good luck, people

BR>Jack

i had swine flu already. if your healthy you be sick for a week its just the same ass a normal cold. why take these drugs that know 1 knows about. it might do you more harm than good.

Tell that to the families of the healthy people who have died as a direct result of swine flu recently. Somehow I don't think they will agree with you.

Point is that they have no idea what the outcome and side-effects will be. And

Novartis today has carte blanche blanket immunity for their actions ­ and any large pharmaceutical company who so desires, can join them at the feeding troughs just by paying millions for their “kits”.

Now, if these vaccines are so 'safe' why have all liabilities for death and disability from faulty or contaminated vaccines been stripped away?

http://www.daily.pk/7780/new-evidence-that...ic-is-man-made/

It's a very scary development that stretches far further than any of us know.

Point is that they have no idea what the outcome and side-effects will be. And
Novartis today has carte blanche blanket immunity for their actions ­ and any large pharmaceutical company who so desires, can join them at the feeding troughs just by paying millions for their “kits”.

Now, if these vaccines are so 'safe' why have all liabilities for death and disability from faulty or contaminated vaccines been stripped away?

http://www.daily.pk/7780/new-evidence-that...ic-is-man-made/

It's a very scary development that stretches far further than any of us know.

Your link to pk daily doesnt work anymore,

here's a link to the original of the same story:

http://rense.com/general86/manmd.htm