Holiday Inn

brianw

we are booked into the new holiday inn for xmas/newyear could anyone tell me how far have the builders got in finishing it and also what was on the site before,

It looks pretty much nearing completion now and looks like a very nice place.. so should be a nice stay for you. Can't remember what was on the site before as it has been an empty building site for some time now. It is inbetween the Amari and also the Gullivers pub/restaurant on beach road.. so a nice enough area of beach road.

Same rack rates as the Ambassador Jomtien that has 'over 5000 rooms' (depending on what website you look at). It's been open for years and hasn't gone tits up (yet) despite being out the back of beyond.

I reckon the new HI will be trusting that name-brand recognition will help them get through the tough times. That along with heavy promotional bundling with the airlines? How did you pick up on those great promo rates btw?

"If you build it, they will (pay and) come."

we are booked into the new holiday inn for xmas/newyear could anyone tell me how far have the builders got in finishing it and also what was on the site before,

Their website allowes booking from September 2009 onwards and by the looks of it, the hotel will be finished by then.

On the site before? You mean the building site?

As far as I can recall, it used to be a sort of square with several shops, restaurants and guesthouses. The land owned by a Chinese woman from Bangkok. Someone told me, that some 7 years ago, the busstation was located there (now on North Pattaya Road).

So, the building is not a renovated old building, it's built from scratch.

Previously the site was shop houses around a large central car park at the front and another hotel (the name of which escapes me now) at the back. The old shop houses hadn't actually been up long (and I believe the other hotel refurbished) when it was decided to build the Holiday Inn. A lot of the tenants/owners had spent money fitting out their units and were then kicked out after only a relatively short time. Unsurprisingly they were very upset and demonstrated for a while. I'm not sure if they ever received any compensation.

Previously the site was shop houses around a large central car park at the front and another hotel (the name of which escapes me now) at the back. The old shop houses hadn't actually been up long (and I believe the other hotel refurbished) when it was decided to build the Holiday Inn. A lot of the tenants/owners had spent money fitting out their units and were then kicked out after only a relatively short time. Unsurprisingly they were very upset and demonstrated for a while. I'm not sure if they ever received any compensation.

It was the Regent Marina Hotel, the Soi was also called Soi Regent Marina/Soi 0. I was there for a year of a 3 year lease but they did pay compensation, the longer you hung out the more you got.

Their website allowes booking from September 2009 onwards and by the looks of it, the hotel will be finished by then.

On the site before? You mean the building site?

As far as I can recall, it used to be a sort of square with several shops, restaurants and guesthouses. The land owned by a Chinese woman from Bangkok. Someone told me, that some 7 years ago, the busstation was located there (now on North Pattaya Road).

So, the building is not a renovated old building, it's built from scratch.

The "aircon bus station" in North Pattaya has been there all the time I have come to Pattaya (15+ years).

I got the promotional deal through the holiday inn news letter i receive occasionally. the deal was only published for a couple of weeks. since then I have contacted the reservation dept. because 2 friends of mine and families now have decided they want to stay in pattaya with me and as expected the reservation dept said the promotion has finished and they have to pay full rate. so another hotel will now benefit buy selling 2 rooms for 7 nights

I can also recall the aircon bus station being at Soi Regent Marina.

Not sure when it moved but my abiding memory of using the bus station at that location was travelling to Bangkok on the day that Ben Johnson 'won' the 100m in Seoul. That was in 1988 - 21 years ago.

So it has not 'always been on Pattaya Nua'!!!