Name Change

Last week my wife received her passport back from the Thai embassy in London because she wanted to change her surname in her Thai Passport to my British surname. Everything is fine with her passport being endorsed with the Thai stamp and with her new surname written down on the page following her original photo page.

My question is I have booked to go to Thailand in the summer and I have a ticket for my wife in her new surname, this wont cause any problems in the UK airports or in Bangkok will it?

They wont say that her surname on the ticket is not matching up with the one on the main page(Page at back of passport with Photo and date of birth on etc etc). They will just look for the endorsed page with her new surname on wont they?

Thank everyone, take care.

Hi Makavelli,

This will not cause a problem whatsoever. The check-in agents are fully aware that people change their names and providing the amendment has been done officially, in this case by the Thai embassy, they have no reason to not accept the change. If you are still worried about the possibility of them denying your wife boarding then carry your marriage certificate too as this will confirm that your wife's name has changed through marriage.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thanks Scouser I knew I could count on u for giving me the answer to my question.

Scouse when u next in Pattaya?

I am there 19th July till 11th August and I would love to meet up with u and buy u a few beers as a thank for for all the help and advice u have given me over the last year or so.

Thanks again mate.

• 1 month later...

I got married in LOS recently (including the legal way, at the Amphur) and as we're hoping to get her to the UK very shortly, we haven't changed the name on her Thai passport. So, legally speaking, will she automatically assume/adopt my surname when she gets here? I have a copy of the wedding certificate, so would that be sufficient to start referring to her by my surname, ie when registering with a GP or whatever? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I got married in LOS recently (including the legal way, at the Amphur) and as we're hoping to get her to the UK very shortly, we haven't changed the name on her Thai passport. So, legally speaking, will she automatically assume/adopt my surname when she gets here?  I have a copy of the wedding certificate, so would that be sufficient to start referring to her by my surname, ie when registering with a GP or whatever? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Thai passport office will amend the passport to show the married name as soon as she gets a new ID. That'll save you a lot of grief later.

The Thai passport office will amend the passport to show the married name as soon as she gets a new ID. That'll save you a lot of grief later.

Thanks for the rapid reply, Doc. The amphur gave her a new ID card to show she's married, so presumably that will quote my surname? So when she gets here, do we send the ID card and passport to the Thai embassy like Makavelli and his missus did?

Thanks for the rapid reply, Doc. The amphur gave her a new ID card to show she's married, so presumably that will quote my surname? So when she gets here, do we send the ID card and passport to the Thai embassy like Makavelli and his missus did?

Otherwise you'll need to carry formal translations of marriage papers and ID card to do anything official at all. :o

You should also contact your booking agent and get them to contact the airline and have the airline put a note on the computer the check in staff will then be expecting it. I recently have some hastle from Thai Air because my sons ticket had Mr instaed of Master they were quoting securiity ect. They put a note on the system for the return journey no problems.

My missus changed her Id card, family book etc in 1 day in Chiangmai. The passport cost 100 baht to change. It took around a hour and half as there was a lot of people there.We only done this yesterday.. So shes now officially Mrs............. As it has been said. You should have no problems with the name changes.