Trolls

Jai Dee

I've seen a lot of posts and accusations on the Forum about Trolls.

When does a post become trollish?

Whose posts are the most trollish?

Are our mods/admin sometimes trollish?

(can I say that??? :D )

Which TV member is the biggest troll?

Who plays the biggest mind fcuks to get the responses?

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

Am I being trollish for posting this subject?

:o

(can I say that???  :D )

The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll.

Maybe the better question would be

"How addicted are you"

if you keep coming back after two warnings, three bans ect...

Just can't see the fun of it really :D , it surely must mean your pathetic :D

:D

Valid subject. I initially thought a Troll was someone trying to meet up with someone else for a quickie! (Generally guys looking for gals) but due to recent posts have discovered it means something else!

If the definition of a troll is someone who posts subjects to ellicit comments from others , then I guess we're all guilty!

Or is it just posts that get people flaming? Although some valid posts do that anyway!

So just what is the definition of a troll?? :D

(can I say that???  )

Troll

So just what is the definition of a troll?? :o

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users in to angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent by such a person. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" and ultimately from trolling for fish; it first appeared on Usenet. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users in to angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent by such a person. The term derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" and ultimately from trolling for fish; it first appeared on Usenet. The term is frequently abused to slander opponents in heated debates and is frequently misapplied to those who are ignorant of etiquette.

Trolling is often described as an online version of the breaching experiment, where social boundaries and rules of etiquette are broken. Self-proclaimed trolls often style themselves as Devil's Advocates or gadflies or culture jammers, challenging the dominant discourse and assumptions of the forum they are trolling in an attempt to subvert and introduce different ways of thinking. Detractors who value etiquette claim that true Devil's Advocates generally identify themselves as such for the sake of etiquette, whereas trolls often consider etiquette to be something worth trolling in order to fight groupthink.

So in short, ars-holes trying to throw a spanner in the works?! :o

So in short, ars-holes trying to throw a spanner in the works?! :o

Couldn't have put it better myself , shola :D

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.... :D

Shouldn't we thank the Trolls for giving us something to do with our time and, god forbid, helping us question our normal (or not so normal) thought processes / way of life?

(sigh) I guess this is a reoccuring topic. There was a discussion about this a while ago.

In my opinion, the word 'troll' is so frequently overused, it has lost any serious meaning. If you carefully examine the accusers, they usually call others "troll" when they disagree with a user and can't think of (or too lazy to think of) any sensible counter-arguments.

Of course, there are valid accusations pointing to real troublemakers, but they are lost in the sea of meaningless accusations.

Another interesting thought is the difference between "troll" and "trollish". In my understanding, the former refers to people who flame everyone all the time, while the latter refers to a behavior in a particular post. That is, the person can be argumentative in some posts, but nice and helpful in others.

I think if we take a good, honest look at ourselves, we all can say we are trollish. We all have pet peeves, and huge community discussions such as these forums are bound to step on some toes and stir up convictions.

Otherwise, all the boards would consist of nothing but "I agree".

Edited by SiamJai

Maybe the better question would be

"How addicted are you"

if you keep coming back after two warnings, three bans ect...

Ahhh I see now. That explains a lot. Jai dee has had electroconvulsive therapy (ect), which by the way, many people confuse with etcetera (etc). Now if we can only get him to take his Thorazine regularly... :D

I'd add here - that word "troll" became as sort of a label used by ... trolls !

I've seen many times and even have had personall experience when a person does everything according to the definition of a troll - and if get's some unexpected and undesired response - immidietly brands the opponent as troll.

in other words - some real trolls brand others as troll if they want to shout that person down or as form of "argumentum ad hominem " (attack on person - instead of addressing person's point) ...

so, it can be said perhaps - trolls evolve...

oops, sorry SiamJai - seems like I just said almost same as you - only in a bit different way.

Edited by aaaaaa

...are you drunk?

seems like you are talking to me ?

what was that - ah, yeah - drunk ? who - me? never been any more sober. why?

I hardly drink at all - what to speak getting drunk. and even if it happens - I'd rather sleep peacefully - just in case if you were genuinely interested / concerned.

BTW - surprising you made instant comments right after each of my posts here. what made you think they were related to you? are you obsessed with image preservation ?

...are you drunk?

seems like you are talking to me ?

what was that - ah, yeah - drunk ? who - me? never been any more sober. why?

I hardly drink at all - what to speak getting drunk. and even if it happens - I'd rather sleep peacefully - just in case if you were genuinely interested / concerned.

BTW - surprising you made instant comments right after each of my posts here. what made you think they were related to you? are you obsessed with image preservation ?

no just usually baffeled by your abstract posts, usually need some clarification or explanation...I refer you to your hare and camel joke as a visual aid

no just usually baffeled by your abstract posts, usually need some clarification or explanation...I refer you to your hare and camel joke as a visual aid

well, you could just ask so plainly - I can give such clarification/ explanaion easily. for example here I was trying to add some comment on the subject about the meaning of term 'troll'.

as about jokes - those are merely jokes. I think discussing them here would raise objections for irrelevence from others - because that is in other Forum, about jokes. therefore I think it is more appropriate to discuss them there if you realy want. I'm open for discussion if you intend so.

A troll is an insincere post. It's not honest and it's only purpose is to hijack the subject and make the troll the center of attention.

A true troller doesn't care about contributing. They focus on manipulation. They're punks. :o

Can't say I understand the intricacies when it comes to forum protocol. I'm too casual to stay on topic and I guess that can ruin what people are putting together so I'm guilty of being a clod occasionaly. Toastwars, I wouldn't call it trolling to wind things up as long as it goes with the flow of the thread but then I'm not a savvy. My definition of a troll is a selfish attention craver who's posts are not honest. Perhaps that's too confined a definition. Maybe a troll can be a Merry Prankster too.

My 2 satang

"How would you folks class Superchav's posts? (about 40+ on the "first" day) A troll, a pest , a bore, immature or something else?"

I think all of the above mentioned are well fitting, can't pick just one.

well, you could just ask so plainly - I can give such clarification/ explanaion easily. for example here I was trying to add some comment on the subject about the meaning of term 'troll'.

as about jokes - those are merely jokes. I think discussing them here would raise objections for irrelevence from others - because that is in other Forum, about jokes. therefore I think it is more appropriate to discuss them there if you realy want. I'm open for discussion if you intend so.

You make my points for me aaaaa. :o

I think if we take a good, honest look at ourselves, we all can say we are trollish. We all have pet peeves, and huge community discussions such as these forums are bound to step on some toes and stir up convictions.

Otherwise, all the boards would consist of nothing but "I agree".

I agree. :o

:D

What I was trying to elicit from the forum was peoples opinions about the difference between being a troll for trolling sake vs posting a trollish comment to excite or bait a particular topic. :D