Chiang Mai’s Air Pollution Unacceptable

george

Chiang Mai’s air pollution unacceptable

CHIANG MAI: -- Dust particles in the air over the northern Thai province of Chiang Mai are higher than they should be, warned the Pollution Control Department.

Surveys of the air quality in Chiang Mai over the last three months show the concentration of particles in the air was as high as 122-207 micrograms per cubic meter, the department's Director-General, Apichai Chvajarernpun, told TNA on Thursday.

Any dust level over 120 microgram per cubic metre can pose a serious danger to the health of local residents' health, Mr. Apichai said.

Much of Chiang Mai’s air pollution is caused by forest fires and burning in agricultural land.

The local authorities are seeking 130 million baht to implement urgent measures to counter the problem of pollution, as it affects local people's health and could also damage the province's tourist industry.

A public awareness campaign has been launched to make local residents, especially the elderly and children, to avoid outdoor activities, Mr. Apichai said.

Digital signs displaying the air quality around the clock have also been installed in down town Chaing Mai.

Chiang Mai is an internationally renowned tourist destination.

Its mountainous areas and the cooler weather on Thailand's highest peak, Doi Inthanon, are key attractions.

--TNA 2005-02-04

Plowing instead of burning?

I lived in Skaone (Southern part of Sweden) for some years (early seventies).

I think they opted for burning before but were forced (?) to plow instead.

But should only the farmers pay for the extra costs?

Or could the community help them during the first years untill the price of the rice is adjusted to the higher costs of providing it?

And how to stop the winds from Burma and Laos to blow over Chiangmai?

Could an invasion of the american army help? Honestly I don't know how violence could stop this problem, but americans might do.

Somehow Chiang Mai has this reputation as a clean, even pristine mountain town. National Geographic was more on the money when it described it as "Getting Ugly". You can be sure that the black air which covers the city most of the time will only thicken as more and more cars clog the streets and more and more surrounding forests and fields are turned to ashes. Most villagers still burn their household rubbish too.Those responsible for the tourist industry here ought to be able to see by now that the gooose that's been laying golden eggs for so long now is starting to look like maybe it's got the ol' H5N1 but know that they are powerless to do what they should to try to stop the rot. Once the city has a reputation as 'grotty' it'll be hard to shake off.......and that's starting to happen.

Two of my balconies directly face Doi Suthep and its wat, less than 5km away. Thursday morning was the first time in weeks we could see it clearly, because the strong winds blew some smoke away and the overnight hard rain washed the air. But within 36 hours, the dust and smoke had returned. I don't like the rainy season except that it gives me clear views of the mountains.

Two of my balconies directly face Doi Suthep and its wat, less than 5km away.  Thursday morning was the first time in weeks we could see it clearly, because the strong winds blew some smoke away and the overnight hard rain washed the air.  But within 36 hours, the dust and smoke had returned.  I don't like the rainy season except that it gives me clear views of the mountains.

Believe it or not, that actually sounds much better than it is here in BKK :o

I wish the good Khun Chvajarernpun would come and visit Bangkok to speak a few more wise words about the increasingly putrid air here - if he reckons CM's hit the 'barrel's bottom'. At least CM's had some rain which might've at least cleared the air a little...

Nonetheless, one soon expects his BKK counterpart vastly to 'outbid' CM's 122-207 micrograms per cubic meter. Or... is that expecting too much...?

Believe it or not, that actually sounds much better than it is here in BKK  :o

I wish the good Khun Chvajarernpun would come and visit Bangkok to speak a few more wise words about the increasingly putrid air here - if he reckons CM's hit the 'barrel's bottom'. At least CM's had some rain which might've at least cleared the air a little...

Nonetheless, one soon expects his BKK counterpart vastly to 'outbid' CM's 122-207 micrograms per cubic meter. Or... is that expecting too much...?

It is much, much worse than Bangkok during this time of the year. High pollution levels here in Bangkok have been in the 50-60 range.

Believe it or not, that actually sounds much better than it is here in BKK  :o

It is much, much worse than Bangkok during this time of the year. High pollution levels here in Bangkok have been in the 50-60 range.

...my lungs and eyes might be deceiving me alas. But i did say, 'soon to outbid...'

I don't disagree that CM's bad either.

However - what of today's BK report :

http://www.pcd.go.th/AirQuality/Bangkok/Default.cfm

Aren't the PM-10 levels much higher than the 50-60 you report?

ie., 101.4, 99.8, 84.7, 71.3, 91.8, 85.3, 98.7

Where's your 50-60 range coming from?

It was probably over the weekend or holiday as glance at them in the Bangkok Post from time to time. Still much worse in Chiang Mai at this time of the year but with no rain it is bad everywhere without strong winds to move it elsewhere.

Believe it or not Bangkok used to be much worse than it is these days.

It's about bleeding time they do something about it. I just hope the measures do not become 'coriander leaf garnish' like most campaigns. This problem has to be dealt with, otherwise it is time to move elsewhere soon :-( and I like Chiang Mai in a lot of other respects...

But I dont want to raise kids in a city full of lead fumes. This means the worst start possible, they will be a lot more stupid than their potential (recent tests conducted in the EU (Belgium and Holland) clearly demonstrate that the lead pollution level has a severe impact on cerebral development in children.

I'm very close to the mountains (near the new city hall) and cannot see them. Many people are beginning to experience problems with their sinuses ... also itchy, sometimes burning eyes. Can also smell burning. It indeed is quite bad.

It's about bleeding time they do something about it. I just hope the measures do not become 'coriander leaf garnish' like most campaigns. This problem has to be dealt with, otherwise it is time to move elsewhere soon :-( and I like Chiang Mai in a lot of other respects...

But I dont want to raise kids in a city full of lead fumes. This means the worst start possible, they will be a lot more stupid than their potential (recent tests conducted in the EU (Belgium and Holland) clearly demonstrate that the lead pollution level has a severe impact on cerebral development in children.

They have not used lead in gas here for many years and can not believe they do in Belgium or Holland but have no direct knowledge. As others have said the big thing in Chiang Mai, and indeed anywhere upcountry, is open burning. Second is probably diesel.

Believe it or not Bangkok used to be much worse than it is these days.

For sure.

I hadn't been back for a while but first thing I noticed was the air is cleaner these days than it used to be. The BTS has helped and non-leaded gas too.

Surprised really as traffic levels have increased a bunch...

They have not used lead in gas here for many years and can not believe they do in Belgium or Holland but have no direct knowledge. As others have said the big thing in Chiang Mai, and indeed anywhere upcountry, is open burning. Second is probably diesel.

I dont pretend to know exactly what ails the city's air, but leaded fuel is not the only source of lead in the environment. Water pipes and paint containing lead are worse culprits. Particles of lead paint do end up in the air. As for water pipes in Thailand, I am not sure what they usually are made of.

Digital signs displaying the air quality around the clock have also been installed in down town Chaing Mai.

Anyone actually seen these? I haven't.

I never look up when I'm driving around here :o , but I remember they had a billboard near the N/E corner of the moat, facing the oncoming traffic from the West. That was a few months ago...