How To Build A Road

There is currently a dirt road a half kilometer long to the property. It is mainly used by farm implements and gets muddy and rutted to where it can be impassable without 4WD and is slightly hilly. The PYB says in about 4 years the road will be paved but I would rather not wait for that and he has given me the ok to improve it anyway I wish. So I would like to improve this road so that vehicles can ride through cleanly but not spend more than necessary. Are there any suggestions on the options out there to achieve this / price?

A road is only as good as its base. And to make a good base for a rutted farm road 1/2 km long may very well be rather expensive, as the old base will probably need to be dug up and replaced with proper materials, rolled...lots of things to do. If you're in it for the long haul, it might be a very good investment for you, and once the neighbors get over being pissed off at you for digging up the road, they'll be happy with the result. Best of luck!

To build a proper road, which will stand the test of time, start with large rocks on the bottom, gradually becoming little rocks on the top.

Large meaning as big as you can get - the size of your head at a minimum. Small being 3/4" or 19-mm crush.

A lot will depend on the traffic. Tandem axle trucks take a lot of road, while light trucks and cars need less.

The old adage applies - do it right, do it once.

A great finish, provided the bed is sound and drainage is installed where needed, is a covering with concrete and a finish layer of asphalt. Viola - F1 in your town !!!

I'm not a road building expert but have some observations from our neighbors attempts over the years.

Initially he would just get truck loads of dirt every year, after the rains, and the local tractor with dozer blade would flatten it out. This was fine till the rains came when the road would get muddy and rutted yet again.

Couple of years ago he again got truck loads of dirt but this time built the road higher and got a vibrating roller to pack it down, and here is the important bit put a camber on it for the water to drain off. Since then the road has been fine.

The important part is to have the road higher than the surrounding land and a camber or raised in the center so the water quickly drains off.

:)